Audio Alchemy DDS III

hYdrociTy

About three or four years ago, I laid eyes on this cute(at that time) disc transport and thought of how expensive and useless it was- yet there was something in me that yearned for it ever since. I finally found a mint one in original box with remote and literature and could no longer resist finishing my digital rig.

The thing is not cute. It is much bigger than I had ever imagined. It was made before I began middle school. It is just shy of 15 lbs, and is about 14" wide, 6" high, and 9.75" deep.

front.jpg

The front panel is clean, with power button, red fluorescent display and buttons made of "flexible aluminum membrane." The controls are very unique feeling. They are light and snappy- in between a touch sensitive button and a regular mechanical one.

Transport drawer is quiet and precise and what suprised me is how fast the unit actually recognizes, indexes, and begins playing- roughly six seconds after I press the close button the music arrives on a "typical" cdr with mild scratches across the whole disc. Unfortunately the thing does not read cd-rw which is only fair because the thought of owning a cd recorder in your personal computer was a dream back then, if the thought even crossed anyone's mind.

On to the internals.

top.jpg

top2.jpg

As you can see, vibration dampening is used liberally. The front panel is 1/4" thick and the metal chassis is very dense heavy, and rigid in construction.

transport.jpg

The transport in the isolated lower half of the unit is the reputable Sony CDM14 which is common in this class of transport. More vibration dampening spotted down here.

rear.jpg

Notice there are rca line outs. There is a 1-bit dac inside for "emergency" cd player duty. The sound out of the machine is very smooth quite detailed but lacks dynamics. Midrange is full and the the whole musical presentation is natural and palpable. Extension is good for what it is- but with the external processors (DTI2 -> DDE3/Entech 203.2) the bass is very low and impactful and does the CKKIII justice.

Here are shots of the pcb.

leftpcb.jpg

rightpcb.jpg

The power section:

power.jpg

dampening.jpg

"Needs upgrades."

I bet some new and better caps, diodes, or a whole new acutally-a-power-supply with rectifiers and the such would be nice. It would certainly benefit the included dac and analog out...or not...

In action!

AudioAlchemy.jpg

All in all a ludicrous bang-for-the-buck deal, especially since the supposedly pos included analog out does not disappoint. It does not sound like pcdps or other low end irritating digital sources. The sound is thick, huge, and fairly detailed, but then again it was born a transport, and will serve me well in that regard for as long as I can find those Sony replacement ribbon cables that supposedly snap now and then :mad:

My office is five minutes from where they used to have their facility. I remember stopping in to buy one of their cdps about nine months before they closed shop. Dusty and a few of the employees opened shop as Channel Islands Audio in Oxnard CA so if you ever have a need to contact them, you now know where to go. They don't seem to be too interested though in talking to anyone about AA legacy equipment so you may find them unreceptive, but then again you may get lucky.

Looks like a Sony CDP-291/391 put into a different chassis. For example, SONY CDP-291 COMPACT DISC CD PLAYER - eBay (item 110269440424 end time Jul-14-08 18:46:50 PDT)

The text isn't clear but it says 'High Precision D/A System' and under that it says 'Servo Stabilizer Circuit'. As you can see, put behind a red plastic window, the display would look just like that of the DDS III.

Looks like a Sony CDP-291/391 put into a different chassis. For example, SONY CDP-291 COMPACT DISC CD PLAYER - eBay (item 110269440424 end time Jul-14-08 18:46:50 PDT)

The text isn't clear but it says 'High Precision D/A System' and under that it says 'Servo Stabilizer Circuit'. As you can see, put behind a red plastic window, the display would look just like that of the DDS III.

The display is exactly the same, and so is the remote I believe. The logo seems to be added on where it probably says Sony before. The remote function buttons are labeled exactly the same as the front panel buttons on the 291.

Both the pcb and the power section pcb are typical Sony style- green with almost industrial strength solder for the main board and sand colored 70's era board for the power. I'm tempted to get pissed because I remember the Goldmund/Pioneer jip, but in this case and price point I think it was a good implementation of existing technology.

Well now at least I can hoard parts too :)

Audio Alchemy DDS Pro transport is another fine CD-only transport sound-wise. A rude awakening for those using run-of-the-mill DVD player as CD transport, I'm sure, especiallly for dynamics and bass authority..

I think the DDS Pro with the Pioneer Stable Platter was designed ground up as an i2s output transport which should be the epitome of transport purity- reflected in modern reference transports such as the North Star one.

In the future I may get a DDS Pro followed by a DTI Pro32 and finally another DDE3 powered by a sigma22 :) Right now I'm happy with my setup though, and don't foresee that maximum rig coming my way till maybe next year :D

have you thought about suicide bombing them, in retaliation? aim for a weekend.

I cannot do that because of the following reasons:

-I love the word Monolithic.

-He was a former member of the holy audio company.

-The case design and font is just beautiful imo.

-Lot's of dual mono on everything.

As an aside, Steve Temmel who was an AA tech is selling off sweet gear on ebay- DDS Pro, DTI Pro32, DDE3, and the OM150 power amp. For probably ~1000usd the three box source would be an awesome treasure. The DDE3 really need new opamps though..

As an aside, Steve Temmel who was an AA tech is selling off sweet gear on ebay- DDS Pro, DTI Pro32, DDE3, and the OM150 power amp. For probably ~1000usd the three box source would be an awesome treasure. The DDE3 really need new opamps though..

uhh you sure that link leads to the right place?

and you think everything needs new opamps! ;)

So I guess those guys at AA had a different definition of "Designed and Assembled in USA" than I have...

What did this cost when it was new? And that extra cost was for, uh, some sheets of damping material ???

More like its screaming for a decent (discrete) output stage. Why fuck around with opamps?

Discrete would make more sense if it were i-out; plus it's more complicated, and far more costly, and there is more of a risk of permanent damage to the device due to its design. If I can find out what the voltage is at the rails for the op-amps, though, I can probably make a reasonably good suggestion on what to replace what look to be NJM4556s on there. Plus, the money, time, etc. involved in a discrete stage is better spent on the DDE.

grenert - No idea what their costs were or what the MSRP was. Only reason I recognised it was that I've seen the CDP-291 around a few times. You can find them at junk/thrift stores sometimes, otherwise eBay will probably have them fairly reliably.

Discrete would make more sense if it were i-out; plus it's more complicated, and far more costly, and there is more of a risk of permanent damage to the device due to its design. If I can find out what the voltage is at the rails for the op-amps, though, I can probably make a reasonably good suggestion on what to replace what look to be NJM4556s on there. Plus, the money, time, etc. involved in a discrete stage is better spent on the DDE.

grenert - No idea what their costs were or what the MSRP was. Only reason I recognised it was that I've seen the CDP-291 around a few times. You can find them at junk/thrift stores sometimes, otherwise eBay will probably have them fairly reliably.

Sorry, the DDE was what I was talking about. I wouldn't bother with modding the DDS.

Was the DDS positioned by AA as a transport, or as a CDP? Or both? Just curious. The DDE interests me...

Sorry, the DDE was what I was talking about. I wouldn't bother with modding the DDS.

Was the DDS positioned by AA as a transport, or as a CDP? Or both? Just curious. The DDE interests me...

DDE could definitely use it. I heard that it uses a passive i/v scheme stock, which is fail. So, replacing that would probably be a good thing to prioritise, if so. Then again, probably a good thing to prioritise, anyway.

I think they are primarily meant for use as transports, since there was already a line of cd players that they made (ADC 1, 2, 3)

This thing was introduced only a few years after the Sony player came out so it it's not like they were stuffing a 15 dollar thrift shop thing inside- the sony was most likely 1/3 the cost of the DDS. The only reason they had rca outs was because of the integrated nature of the Sony cd player- the one pcb performed all the functions, and since it was already there, why not include the analog out function?