Relative Importance of Power Cable/Power Conditioner?

barmar46

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lots of electrical storms in the south, and during the week I'm never at home.

And call me an audiofool if you will, but I do notice an audible improvement between brickwall and no brickwall

meh.. I'd rather just have a big ass isolation transformer and bits of AC filtering and EMI/RFI filtering in each component... if I really cared, I'd get a NEMA class surge protector and be done with it.

i had an ex once whose dad would run around their house when he heard thunder, unplugging everything because he didn't believe in surge protectors. got her in the habit of doing it too and i thought it was the most ridiculous thing when she would phone home during a storm to see if someone there could unplug her shit for her.

i had an ex once whose dad would run around their house when he heard thunder, unplugging everything because he didn't believe in surge protectors. got her in the habit of doing it too and i thought it was the most ridiculous thing when she would phone home during a storm to see if someone there could unplug her shit for her.

:rofl:

You've dated some weirdos Orenthal. Neurotic electricity chick, homeopathic hippy girl...any others? ;D

was her dad korean? my dad's friend used to do that, but then he got lazy

:rofl:

You've dated some weirdos Orenthal. Neurotic electricity chick, homeopathic hippy girl...any others? ;D

not the same girl... :D but you're right, i've have dated some weirdos...

was her dad korean? my dad's friend used to do that, but then he got lazy

nope, she was korean, but adopted.

So if I've now bought an Audio Aero Capitole SE cd player/pre amp, will have a Balancing Act headphone amp soon enuf(not soon enuf) and ATC 20-2 active speakers...would a power conditioner be a good idea? Is a Power Audio Duet as good one or so, so? Just checkin'

Actually that's a concern. Starkville is an old Southern city. Electricity is all "old school" above ground. Lot's of storms, blinking of lights and power outages. So is that "bad power?" Or more "unreliable power?" What are the factors of bad power? I just really don't want to get all this good gear and compromise it with bad power.

Starkville is an old Southern city. Electricity is all "old school" above ground. Lot's of storms, blinking of lights and power outages. So is that "bad power?" Or more "unreliable power?" What are the factors of bad power? I just really don't want to get all this good gear and compromise it with bad power.

At a minimum buy one of these:

Item # PW8R15AUD, 15 Amp, 8 Isolated Receptacle Point of Use Unit for Audio Use on Brick Wall

That'll help with the surge portion of the equation.

If you want to deal with the dips and surges you'll need something a bit more than just a surge/filter product. For that you'll want something more like a power conditioner. There is a fair amount of debate about what the various options do and don't do and while I hesitate to do anything other than give a direct recommendation in this case I can't. I use a MonsterPower product, which probably isn't the best but was reasonably priced and I've never felt like it was doing anything bad.

Do I need both a surge/filter and a power conditioner or is a power conditioner a move up and therefore no longer necessitates the surge/filter too? Also there's a "Power Audio Duet" power conditioner for sale on the Headfye forum. Is that one to consider? Again I really should be cautious down here. Lot's of lightning and such.