Recommend me a blu-ray player

hYdrociTy

:rofl:

grab a PS3. I have the 40gb and it is super quiet. Supposedly some of the higher models are noisier, but I can't vouch for this with personal experience.

Hasn't failed to play a disc, the picture is fantastic, and the sound is as well. Some folks bitch about the controller being a bad remote. Its fine with me, seeing as how I just play movies, and occasionally pause them using the start button to pee or get more water or peanuts.

Yea thanks, I don't need much disk space, so I'll look for a 40gb one :)

And the PS3 upconverts CDs to 176.4 khz

ZOMG OPSAMLING AT THE BEST FREQUENCY IM $OLD!

Does the sample rate conversion mean the digital out(optical one) is also a that rate, or is it adjustable, or is it only internal for the analog outs?

btw theres no sacd support hmmm....I don't really dig the dsd to pcm conversion though so it works out.

Yea thanks, I don't need much disk space, so I'll look for a 40gb one :)

ZOMG OPSAMLING AT THE BEST FREQUENCY IM $OLD!

Does the sample rate conversion mean the digital out(optical one) is also a that rate, or is it adjustable, or is it only internal for the analog outs?

btw theres no sacd support hmmm....I don't really dig the dsd to pcm conversion though so it works out.

There is SACD support on the 80gb model. Don't know if it is converted to PCM or not (I only have the 40gb model)

I know Redbook is upconverted to 172.4 khz PCM and sent out via HDMI.

Not sure what comes out of the optical.

• 2 years later...
I'm going to resurrect this to say I like the Sony BDP-S570 I got for $160 today. Netflix and pandora both work well, and it plays blurays :). It also supports SACD, tho I'm not sure to what extent, as I haven't tried it yet.

There's a lot of great values like these out there. They aren't waiting until Black Friday and Cyber Monday to start the nice sales.

Depending on your budget, $500 or $5000, the BDP-83 is a good buy. The SE, even better. I have John's modded Exemplar, but did listen for a while to the standard version.

With the Oppo in your system, you now also have the option (if it is in your music system also), to have SACD or DVD-A, DVD 7.1 and naturally redbook, and not just have video.

Depending on your budget, $500 or $5000, the BDP-83 is a good buy. The SE, even better. I have John's modded Exemplar, but did listen for a while to the standard version.

With the Oppo in your system, you now also have the option (if it is in your music system also), to have SACD or DVD-A, DVD 7.1 and naturally redbook, and not just have video.

I have a stock 83 and agree that it's outstanding. Waiting patiently for the 93 to be released. Need a 3D bluray player with my new TV on the way. That, and the Netflix capability makes the 93 a no brainer for me.

• 9 years later...

Resurrecting this 10 years old thread looking for recommendation for a BD\DVD player that's worthy of an OLED TV without breaking the bank. Really hope to stay below $500 US since it's not likely to get enough use to justify spending more. 

I only care about the video quality.

Took a quick look around the web and there are plenty of players under $250 that support 4K, UHD and HDR. Wonder how much difference one can expect in terms of the video quality compare to those players costing over $1K. 

Ended up getting a Sony UBP X800M2 ($229 + tax) from Best Buy to go with the LG OLED 65 C9 I got from Costco.

The X800M2 supports both HDR and Dolby Vision. Has very limited connectivity option (1 each LAN, HDMI, HDMI-audio only, spdif (RCA)). But seems solidly built for the price (weights 3.9Kg) and I am happy it can be configured to output digital audio signal in PCM so I can use my Soekris or T+A DAC. 

I am happy with it so far. But I miss OPPO!  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...