w5000's tell me what they sound like

bhd812

Dark? I must strongly disagree with you. I'd say it's on the brighter side.

To me, the bass isn't like warm smooth milk chocolate, like the W10VTG is. it's more like sharp dark chocolate. don't worry, it's not molasses. but i wouldn't call it bright. sharp maybe, but not bright.

In a nutshell.... natural sounding treble with excellent extension, slightly forward midrange with a little bit of warmth, deep textured bass. The soundstage isn't quite as large as the HD-650 but it's instrument placement is far more precise, it definately doesn't suffer from the three blob effect. The sound signature is on the bright side of neutral but is never harsh or bright. The PRaT is outstanding.

To me, the bass isn't like warm smooth milk chocolate, like the W10VTG is. it's more like sharp dark chocolate. don't worry, it's not molasses. but i wouldn't call it bright. sharp maybe, but not bright.

I like sharp dark chocolate, it's my favorite. How would you characterize the L3000 bass in terms of chocolate? :P

Full disclosure -- for some reason, a lot of the AT cans just sounds weird to me.

The W5000 was no exception: bizzare and incoherent. In fact, the AT I liked best was -- I can't quite remember the name, but it had a JPN in in it. 11JPN or something like that.

In a nutshell.... natural sounding treble with excellent extension, slightly forward midrange with a little bit of warmth, deep textured bass. The soundstage isn't quite as large as the HD-650 but it's instrument placement is far more precise, it definately doesn't suffer from the three blob effect. The sound signature is on the bright side of neutral but is never harsh or bright. The PRaT is outstanding.

I can only echo these sentiments.

Full disclosure -- for some reason, a lot of the AT cans just sounds weird to me.

The W5000 was no exception: bizzare and incoherent.

I have to agree with this, while it is probably the best of the "W" series it still sounded echoey and somewhat incoherent. But again the only AT can I really like is the L3000

I have to agree with this, while it is probably the best of the "W" series it still sounded echoey and somewhat incoherent. But again the only AT can I really like is the L3000

I admit to liking my cans more than any AT cans too, but I'd have to say my personal preference (as in, i'd buy it for my closed can, which i currently have none of) leans toward the W10VTG first, the W5000 next, and that's it out of the ones I've heard.