en480c4

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
"lent"

permanently. I don't want that pos in my audio chain >:(

it's like a demented dac system born in the wrong implementation. maybe it will get over it's insecurity and finally come out as a nos dac. then again you could just get a real philips chip. i guess all the wrongs add up to a giant glob of wrong that some find pleasing. If i could sum up the sound in one word without going into the negatives, it would be "concrete."

maybe if the filby mods are done it might just sound ok.

this fotm is totally unwarranted. the vinyl craze hitting everyone is something else though :D

whew.. I read it wrong at first. Was like how did he find the d5000 enjoyable and compare it to an accuphase (not the same type o stuff)?

Some of those mods look familiar [noparse]:D[/noparse]. Really need to advance on selling some of my gear (dumping a certain pricey wood cup headphone) and get cash for those filburt (filbby does sound better, I praise yo great spelling skillz again hydro) mods. backup plan is to teleport PFK's parasound to my place.

permanently. I don't want that pos in my audio chain >:(

it's like a demented dac system born in the wrong implementation. maybe it will get over it's insecurity and finally come out as a nos dac. then again you could just get a real philips chip. i guess all the wrongs add up to a giant glob of wrong that some find pleasing. If i could sum up the sound in one word without going into the negatives, it would be "concrete."

maybe if the filby mods are done it might just sound ok.

this fotm is totally unwarranted. the vinyl craze hitting everyone is something else though :D

your ears are broken. ;) I think its def better then the lite dac and probably the AA DDE ;)

• 3 months later...
PS: Has anyone ever told you you grip your mouse too tight?

:)

I really enjoyed listening to the setup last night. I agree that the DA-500 doesn't do anything wrong to these ears, which adds up to a pleasurable listening experience across a range of genres. The midrange may not be the liquid cool goodness of the 840C, but I do not think it is sucked out. In fact, I couldn't help but be slightly reminded of the DL-103. Maybe this is just the subconscious part of my brain struggling to find a house sound between two items from the same company created half a century apart, but I swear I didn't consciously arrive at this comparison. I was listening to the vocals in the midrange, and started thinking "this sound reminds me of some other source I've heard," then the DL-103 came to mind. Neat.

As for the Wheatfield, I hadn't really spent quality time with it since I eliminated my headphone rig a few months ago (it didn't get a lot of attention in the speaker room, because when I was in there I listened to, you guessed it, speakers), and I am definitely happy to come back to tubes. Tubes are so awesome. I often forget that it was a tube amp (PPX3 Slam) that first really made me a believer in hi-fi.

I really enjoyed listening to the setup last night. I agree that the DA-500 doesn't do anything wrong to these ears, which adds up to a pleasurable listening experience across a range of genres. The midrange may not be the liquid cool goodness of the 840C, but I do not think it is sucked out. In fact, I couldn't help but be slightly reminded of the DL-103. Maybe this is just the subconscious part of my brain struggling to find a house sound between two items from the same company created half a century apart, but I swear I didn't consciously arrive at this comparison. I was listening to the vocals in the midrange, and started thinking "this sound reminds me of some other source I've heard," then the DL-103 came to mind. Neat.

As for the Wheatfield, I hadn't really spent quality time with it since I eliminated my headphone rig a few months ago (it didn't get a lot of attention in the speaker room, because when I was in there I listened to, you guessed it, speakers), and I am definitely happy to come back to tubes. Tubes are so awesome. I often forget that it was a tube amp (PPX3 Slam) that first really made me a believer in hi-fi.

Maybe you should check out that almarro Charlie is selling to get some tube love into your speakers ;)

Would you be interested in a Denon tube amp too? I have one for one millyun rubles.