The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Spent the morning at B&H. I have not been there since they opened up the whole second floor and dedicated it to Photography. I could spend a lot of money on the second floor there. Ended up getting a Gitzo 1780 tripod head, 2x16gb SanDisk Extreme CF cards and a bunch of generic BP-511A batteries.

I have never been to B&H. That is probably good thing, for my future credit rating.

One shot from this weekend's madness (which is still unfolding):

4612570160_53c7d42f5c_b.jpg

This guy (I think his name is Dante?) plunked down a Moog Prodigy and Line6 effects processor next to the DJ around 6:30 in the morning, and played riffs and pads for the next several hours. There really is nothing like a genuine analogue synth line as the sun is coming up.

I found a 58mm Canon 500D close-up lens in wife's old camera bag, so I put it on 75-300mm and tried it out. The result was full of operator errors. :palm:

First, it took me a while to figure out the rather narrow focusing distance range. Then, after figuring out the said range, I couldn't keep my hand steady enough or use high enough shutter speed to get any decent close-up pics. A nice stable tripod would've been nice, I think.

I may try it out on 85mm f/1.8 (another lens I have with 58mm filter size) as I may get a better result with a lighter lens.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Naaman, the desert dwellers were really cool to see. Are there many living out in the wild like that?

Not a lot but enough that it still amazes me when we run into them in the middle of nowhere.

The nothing that is the desert.

IMG_0621.jpg

nomad.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Shot this today with a circular polarizer on my lens... the sky looks kinda cool but I'm not really sure how to or even if to post process it. Also pissed I missed a fucking eagle/hawk that flew by not 30ft above me... didn't get it because I wasn't ready. :palm:

4620213326_d0e830619d_b.jpg

So I recently ordered an 8x12 print of same photo from both AdoramaPix and ezprints. I went with those two places since they were two of few places that offered 8x12 size. Below are my experiences from the whole process -

• Ordering process was fairly painless from both places, though AdoramaPix interface was slow as molasses for me.
  • Ezprints was wee bit cheaper. The prints were made on same paper (Kodak Pro Endura).
  • Shipping cost was also cheaper with ezprints, $1.75 vs. $4.99 for AdoramaPix both using the cheapest shipping option.
  • Both provided e-mail copy of the receipt, but only AdoramaPix provided any tracking information (I guess the extra shipping cost helps here).
  • Packaging - AdoramaPix placed the print face down on a thin foam shrink-wrapped to a cardboard, which was packed in a rigid box. Ezprints placed the print in a clear plastic bag and used a small poster tube for packaging. I much prefer the packaging of AdoramaPix as the print doesn't roll up into a tube. Neither place offered options on packaging that I could see during the ordering process.
  • The print from the AdramaPix was much closer to what I see on my monitor. To be fair, my monitor isn't really calibrated so this probably could have gone either way.

Got all the gear packed up for a short road trip tomorrow to Bear Mountain State Park so I can do some shooting to get familiar with the 50d before trying to shoot the Rolex Grand Prix race on Memorial Day at Lime Rock Park. Been a while since I did any nature/landscape shooting so I am trying to decide on the lenses. I think the 100-400L, 24-70L and the 135L will go and maybe the 17-40L for vistas but that is probably overkill with the 24-70. I almost need a suitcase to carry all the glass. :P

All of those lenses are nice, but make sure you really want the 100-400L. At the short end, its performance is weak by L standards (and not great by "normal" standards). It is a heavy piece of glass (over 3 lbs) and a push-pull zoom. Certainly, nothing else covers the range of focal lengths as well as the 100-400L, but personally, I'd rather have a 70-200 F/4 IS and maybe a 300mm or 400mm prime, later. YMMV, of course, but deffo try out the lens (try to rent it for a day or two) before you cough up for it.

The 17-40L wins on full frame, APS-C, and APS-H sensors. It's also a "bargain" by L standards. I'd start with it. ;D

Yeah the weight isa concern. I do not have any of the big primes at the moment so the 100-400 is my biggest zoom. I could take the 70-200 with the extender and probably have everything I need I just wanted to get used to the 100-400 as I have rarely used it since buying it a few years ago and thought it would be nice at the track.

Michael ... the Nikon 50 f/1.8 is a great lens, as is it's Canon counterpart. Well worth the $$$, and a screaming bargain compared to any other Nikon glass. Sharp, small and light to carry, and a joy to use. Once you have one, I'll wager you won't part with it. A little short for portrait on FF, but very good on DX. Not the otherworldly bokeh of the 85 1.4, but similar to the 85 1.8

It feels a bit cheap and plastic like, but don't let that deter you. The glass is for real, and that's what counts.

Well both my plan and my back-up plan fell through today so all I managed to do was go for a walk at sunset to catch the storm coming in. If it does not rain all day tomorrow I intend to make it over to B&H for some Prime lens shopping.

Skyline-1.jpg

Powerhouse-1.jpg

Super, thank you! (Yep, shooting DX so I figured it'd be about right.)

Yeah, any possible criticisms of the lens are leveled by its' low price. Sure, the f/1.4 options have better performance below f/2.8, and nicer bokeh, but they are ~3x as expensive. Not to mention much larger; the 50 1.8 is a just a touch bigger than a pancake lens. My preferred stealth FX kit is this lens plus the Sigma 15mm fisheye.

I like the view-through-the-columns shot, Salty. I might try it at -1/3 or -2/3 EV, however. The columns themselves wouldn't suffer from being darker, and you'd get more detail on the building behind.

I went and saw a local 2-piece band last Thursday. The shots of them weren't very interesting, but afterward I took a few pix of my friend Alyssa outside the bar.

4634699048_0c6efcc08a_b.jpg

17-40L @ 23mm, F/4, 1/30th, ISO1250. 30D's white balance was set to fluorescent. No edits at all.

i like that.

x2.

So the flickr plug-in on my Lightroom decided to randomly update/re-publish few pics even though I hadn't made any changes (thus the broken links few posts up). :palm:

Anyhow, I fiddled around with the view-through-the-columns shot as per Knuckle's suggestion using Lightroom and below is the result. I like it better now.

4633022159_a581198f90_b.jpg

I prefer the follow-up picture as well. I am going to have to start sending all my first attempts to Knuckles for advice. ;)

What do you think about Lightroom? I have let my Photoshop software get out of date, CS, and now I would have to pay full price to get the new version so I am going to decide between Lightroom and Aperture.