The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

4th of July pics from Estes Park. Did not have enough time to scout the town for a good view of the fireworks reflecting off of Lake Estes which would have been cool. :( As 2 pics below show, storm clouds rolled in during the evening but fortunately it only barely rained.

ep10_01.jpg

ep10_02.jpg

ep10_03.jpg

ep10_04.jpg

ep10_05.jpg

ep10_06.jpg

ep10_07.jpg

ep10_08.jpg

ep10_09.jpg

ep10_10.jpg

ep10_11.jpg

ep10_12.jpg

Nice! What kind of settings do you guys use when shooting stuff at night?

My shots were done in manual mode. f/8 @ varying exposures ranging from 2 to 13 seconds, ISO 200, manual focus (AF disabled) with focus set to infinity, and focal length at 50mm. Tripod-mounted of course. ;) A remote shutter release would've helped me a lot too, will have to get one sometime.

My shots were done in manual mode. f/8 @ varying exposures ranging from 2 to 13 seconds, ISO 200, manual focus (AF disabled) with focus set to infinity, and focal length at 50mm. Tripod-mounted of course. ;) A remote shutter release would've helped me a lot too, will have to get one sometime.

Two seconds on the self timer is a good substitute to reduce camera shake on pressing the shutter.

Nice! What kind of settings do you guys use when shooting stuff at night?

My shot was f/2.0, 5", ISO3200, to freeze the stars. Used remote release, didn't bother with mirror lock on that long an exposure. Mostly just an excuse to test the 50 1.4G that showed up that day, in one of my primary uses for it. Better corners, even wide open, with far less coma distortion than the 50 1.8, it's a keeper.

Well, fuck. It appears the interface change over at flickr is now final/permanent (I'd been ignoring the option to test out the new interface and chugging along on the old interface). As someone else mentioned earlier (I think it was Knuckles), the new interface is full of FAIL. Reminds me of my recent experience with moving over to Office 2007 at work.

if it makes you feel any better, Office 2010 is much nicer in that regard. you should be using it by 2013, i guess. :)

Yeah, our upgrade process has been bit slow, to say the least. I think they were just putting off on re-writing/modifying Visual Basic macros so they'd work on 2007.

Regarding flickr, is anyone else having issues with the new interface? With Firefox or Safari on Windows, the pull-down buttons ("Actions," and "Share This") directly above the pictures don't work/do anything. Somewhat predictably, it works fine with IE. :palm:

EDIT: Just checked using Safari on iPhone and it doesn't work there either.

Well, fuck. It appears the interface change over at flickr is now final/permanent (I'd been ignoring the option to test out the new interface and chugging along on the old interface). As someone else mentioned earlier (I think it was Knuckles), the new interface is full of FAIL. Reminds me of my recent experience with moving over to Office 2007 at work.

That's an awesome endorsement! Sounds about right, too.

I spoke too soon in regards to flickr and their new interface - it's still in the preview/beta stage and I was able to get back to the old interface after looking around for a while. I just don't know how it is I ended up with the new interface since I know I didn't take up on the option to test it out.

I don't know if anyone is near any of the locations, but Canon's doing free photography workshops in Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone, and Acadia through the summer. From what I've been told, they loan out really nice cameras and lenses at these workshops. I'll probably try to attend one of them in Acadia, seeing as my folks are right down the road.

Canon Digital Learning Center - Canon Photography in the Parks Photo Contest

A scan of a picture taken with Kodachrome back in 1968. Pretty damn impressive.

The 2nd picture is what I think of as the classic Kodachrome look, the 1st & 3rd are more contrasty & saturated than what I'd expect from that film. I don't recall Kodachrome having such intense greens, it's a bit of a surprise to me. I've been saving my Kodachrome for fall colour shoots, but since the greens are that good I might as well break out a roll this summer.