The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

They're both great lenses. IMO, the 1.4 isn't worth it unless you're doing a lot of indoor low light photography. That extra f stop that you gain with the 1.4 isn't very sharp. That being said, I bought one anyway for the build quality.

Since Canon doesn't seem to be updating their midrange primes anytime soon, I'm probably going to be switching to Nikon after Photokina, although I'll still keep my XTi for the 70-200mm f/4.

I have an old nikon 70-210 f4 which works pretty well in manual mode (even though its an AF lens)

So I dragged the 5Dc I picked up Friday with me to grab some lunch and took some shots detailing my great adventure.

Headed to Times Square to check out the activity and take pictures of the funny looking people.

TS.jpg

Hanging out under the Yahoo sign I took in the sights.

TS2.jpg

Then I was harassed by a goofy guy giving me chocolate so I wandered over to the crowd. Dove was having a Teach Women to Like Football party with A-List Celeb, 21 Jump Street's own, Holly Robinson Peete.

HRP.jpg

She flapped her wings for a while and talked about how much she loves Football.

HRP2.jpg

So I got bored with her and hit a street vendor for a grass fed Angus burger on a Brioche Roll from Frites & Meats which is evidently slated for next season's The Great Food Truck Race. Great burgers and fries right outside of the office. I could get used to this.

FnM.jpg

Overall a pretty nice lunch.

nikon-d7000-dslr-picture.jpg

nikon-d7000-front.jpg

nikon-d7000.jpg

nikon-d7000-39-points-af.png

nikon-d7000-magnesium-alloy-body.png

Rumored specs:

100% viewfinder

Dual SD memory card slots

Magnesium-alloy body

16.2MP CMOS sensor (DX)

Expeed 2

1080 HD video @24p | 720 @30p (not sure about those)

20 min video recording (up from 5min on the D90)

Save images from video (similar to the D3s)

AF during video

Stereo mic input for video

6 fps

Virtual horizon (like the D300s)

One touch video and/or live view (similar to the D3100)

Improved ISO range: 100-25600

39 AF points

Wireless flash

Weather proof (like the D300s)

New battery system

Expected price: $1199 for body only

Update: no swivel display

Will be announced in a few hours.

I have to give Nikon kudos for adding AI lens support and mirror lock-up to the D90 successor in the form of the D7000. It is certainly looking like most versatile non-pro Nikon DSLR yet.

Though I have to say the 35 f/1.4 is a more intriguing release, thought the price tag kills it a bit.

Here's a shot from a recent backpacking excursion. Miles of isolation from civilization and 11,000ft of elevation do make for nice atmospherics:

dsc7821.jpg

EXIF info tells me ISO6400, f/2.8 and 15sec exposure. With a big arse tripod no doubt.

I would have dropped the ISO and lengthened the exposure further, but its an awesome pic nonetheless :)

Well, taking those sorts of pictures, one has to decide between a shot with static stars (as in that one) or star trails. For the stars to look truly static, you need to use a relatively "quick" shutter speed (for nighttime anyway), or they start to look slightly motion blurred. Whereas to get trails, can take minutes, if not hours of exposure, depending on the focal length. I personally find star trail shots a bit gimmicky, not to say I don't make some, but I do generally find static stars to look a bit more natural or genuine.

Amazingly, I used only about 3.2lbs worth of tripod and head combined to get that shot. An Induro C-013 tripod and Photoclam PC40 ballhead, which were plenty stable on that mildly breezy evening. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot big telephotos from that setup, but it works quite well for my gripped D700 with up to about 2.5lb lenses.

I personally find star trail shots a bit gimmicky, not to say I don't make some, but I do generally find static stars to look a bit more natural or genuine.

Fair point :)

I was thinking about a minute, but I had a look and the the D700 can only go up to 30s anyway, so you are right on the money.

Amazingly, I used only about 3.2lbs worth of tripod and head combined to get that shot. An Induro C-013 tripod and Photoclam PC40 ballhead, which were plenty stable on that mildly breezy evening. I certainly wouldn't want to shoot big telephotos from that setup, but it works quite well for my gripped D700 with up to about 2.5lb lenses.

Nice. I would love to buy a tripod and start taking night shots (there are lots of *awesome* cemeteries in Halifax) but can't justify the expense just yet......