The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

man you guys take some nice photos. any suggestions or perhaps links to good photo taking practices? where the light source should be? how far to stand? a beginners guide to taking photographs if you will. 99% of the pictures i take are blurry and look like shit but randomly i come up with something that isnt totally embarrassing. would like to get better at it though.

CJ there are certainly some basic tips that the people here can give you but really, taking lots of pictures has been the best way for me to learn and would probably be the same to you. Early morning and right before sunset are typically best for outdoors shots. Don't shoot into the light/sun unless you want silhouettes.

Blurry images are not that easy with a P&S as they don't typically allow for longish shutter times or wide open apertures, I have found it pretty hard to get an out of focus picture out of most of the P&S cameras I have used. I can definitely do it with DSLRs, I have that well figured out as I always get a few shots that look like I was jumping on a trampoline while taking them.

I picked up the 7D today so now I need to seriously cut back on the bodies here soon.

7D2.jpg

7D.jpg

The button I like the most is the Multi-function button next to the shutter button. Makes changing settings so much easier.

The huge number of metering and focus function options are a bit daunting, the amount of technology in this camera is ridiculous. The focus functions alone will take some time to figure out.

Edited by VPI

The AF, WB, ISO button are on the same/similar spot on 50D, relatively speaking since 50D & 7D dimensions are little different. On 50D the LCD backlight button is to the left of WB, further toward the built-in flash. My point is that if they're going to have button for something, might as well be somewhere that can be used functionally.

salt-peanuts-albums-random-picture3707-canon-50d-small-top-350x396.jpg

The button I like the most is the Multi-function button next to the shutter button. Makes changing settings so much easier.

I didn't even see that, and obviously wasn't paying much attention at Canon workshop when I briefly handled a 7D. I take it it's customizable?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Thanks Jin. The images were with the 24-70 as I carry that lens constantly.

I am liking the 7D so far and would like it even more if it were a full frame. I hope the iDs4 comes out soon.

Just a couple from Madison Square Park.

Flatiron.jpg

Metlife.jpg

and another high ISO shot from last night.

3200ISO.jpg

One of my in-laws' dogs. She's a good dog - she waited patiently while I got myself in a position on the deck to take the pic.

On a separate note, I'm beginning to see some pics taken with 60D and high ISO pics look a lot better than ones from 50D (on test images, it looks a little better than 7D as well). I know more than few folks were disappointed with 60D in regards to its feature sets/changes to the body (myself included), but changes to the IQ look to be on right track.