The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

The only decent smallish tripod is the gorillapod, though be warned that it works better wrapped around something than it does with the legs bent into a tripod shape. Nonetheless, should work well for the S95.

How steady is the piece the camera mounts on? I have found with cheap tripods that piece usually rocks even when locked.

15s is the longest exposure the S95 is capable of.

Think of ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed as an equation.

0 + 0 + 0 = 0 (hypothetical perfect exposure)

If you move one value up or down, another has to balance it out.

(-1) + 0 + 1 = 0

Since you can control all 3 values in 1/3 increments on the S95, an example would be.

ISO 400 + F4.0 + 1/1000 SS = Perfect Exposure

ISO 320 + F3.5 + 1/1000 SS = ^ (the above) Will result in slightly smaller depth of field since aperture was increased as well as less noise due to lower ISO.

ISO 400 + F4.5 + 1/800 SS = ^ Will result in slightly larger depth of field as well as less ability to freeze motion due to slower shutter speed.

That's how I explain it now to people who are new.

just ordered a gorillapod. it was cheap enough ($15 + free shipping with amazon prime) so not burning a big hole in my pocket.

ugh...now i see how photography gets to be such an expensive hobby. it is fun however. :) in the past i only ever took seriously shitty pictures so when i randomly get lucky and get a decent one, it feels good. makes me want to practice and get better pictures.

5257696722_42b8089f5a_b.jpg

17-40mm F/4L @ 17mm, F/4, 30 seconds, ISO100. Last year the tobacco barn was illuminated for the entire month of December, until midnight each night. This year it's only three days, until 10PM. For a variety of reasons, I had less than 10 minutes to compose and take this picture. I'm not displeased with the results, but I am positive I could have done better with more time.

I did go back the following night, but it was pouring rain and it was impossible to shoot. Such is life.

CJ's shot of the Crack/5998 above inspired me to pull out the camera. Couldn't get much with the DSLR without a tripod (got one arriving next week!), so I whipped out the six year old Canon Ixus 50 and a tiny little travel tripod. Now this thing has no manual exposure controls at all so it took some experimenting with room lighting to get anything good, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I particularly like the reflections in the getter flash :)

6as7.jpg

So after Geneapalooza it is evident I need a good point-and-shoot camera. I am thinking about an S95 as it has good low light specs. Is there currently any other cameras I should be considering with approximately the same form factor?

I do know about Google but I'm looking more for personal experience that can at least somewhat be trusted.

So after Geneapalooza it is evident I need a good point-and-shoot camera. I am thinking about an S95 as it has good low light specs. Is there currently any other cameras I should be considering with approximately the same form factor?

I do know about Google but I'm looking more for personal experience that can at least somewhat be trusted.

I recommended a S95 to a friend who ignored me and bought the SD4500. Long story short, he ended up returning the SD4500 and getting the S95 which he is very happy with. His primary use for this camera is low-light photography like when he goes to nice restaurants.

I recently bought a S95 to have a compact one wherever I go. I like it. The only thing that I find a bit sucky is the white balance when using indoor light. Doesn't matter if it's on automatic or pre ,it just isn't very pretty. Totally different than the IXUS 400 from 6 yrs ago. Other than that; I love it.

Other competitors in that same ballpark: Leica D-Lux 5 and Panasonic LX-5. I preferred the more compactness of the S95 (and its price) over those two.

Jim, I am happy with my LX5 but after comparing the sizes of the S95 and LX5 last weekend, I would probably go with the S95 if I had to do it again.

The addition of hot shoe is nice, though, methinks. The reason I still want a G-series as a second camera - not exactly pocketable, but still small enough to fit in most of my pants/jacket pocket (along with a flash in a separate pocket, if need be).

Edited by Salt Peanuts