The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I never had the original IS but I have heard complaints about muted colors with that lens. This new version is an excellent lens all the way around. The 70-200 non-is was not bad but not in the same league as the new one.

Edited by VPI

Yes it is a 5D mk II. I gave one 5D to my little brother and I am selling the other so I picked up a second mk II with the credit from returning the 85 f1.2 I decided not to keep. I know it is kind of hard to keep up as I really like shiny new things.

As an aside, I picked up a BlackRapid RS4 for this camera as B&H did not have the 5. For the extra 10-20 dollars for the RS5 it is a dramatically better strap. The RS4 is pretty sorry for 55 dollars.

I have a BlackRapid RS-7 and it is definitely my favorite camera accessory. I do wish they would make a version that attaches to either the strap holder or a slim fastener that would attach to the bottom of an Arca Swiss type plate. The one that they offer only works for Manfrotto.

And congrats on that lens. It is just such a sick lens. IMO, tied with the 85mm 1.2L II as best that Canon makes.

Hmm. You mean the Canon 70-200 mL F/4 L has better colors than 70-200 F/2.8 IS ??! You realize the above shots were shot with 2.8 IS.

Jeff's shots were with 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS II, which has improved optics compared to the original 70-200mm F/2.8 L IS.

Salty is right. The 70-200 F/4, in both IS and non-IS is sharper and has better color transmission than the 70-200 F/2.8 (IS or non-IS). The 70-200 F/2.8 II is currently Canon's sharpest zoom. It has pretty impressive color transmission, as well.

I never had the original IS but I have heard complaints about muted colors with that lens. This new version is an excellent lens all the way around. The 70-200 non-is was not bad but not in the same league as the new one.

Exactly what they said. The colors just are just duller compared to the f4.

^^ Congratulations. If you don't, I suggest you avail yourself of a battery pack for your camera*, the 85L's AF (and in fact, MF) motor sucks juice like there's no tomorrow as it moves around 2 1/2 lbs of glass.

*That is, unless you have a 1 series body, which I suspect is not the case.

^^ Congratulations. If you don't, I suggest you avail yourself of a battery pack for your camera*, the 85L's AF (and in fact, MF) motor sucks juice like there's no tomorrow as it moves around 2 1/2 lbs of glass.

*That is, unless you have a 1 series body, which I suspect is not the case.

Krap, I hadn't even thought about that. It would be no problem for my film camera EOS-1V HS with the power grip, but my poor little T2i !

Also, do I have to go the 5D Mkii to get a substantial improvement in IQ over T2i? I've read 7D is similar to T2i in IQ. The 85L is going to be a little too long on my 1.6x T2i. I really want the 35mm F1.4L as well...

eos1vhs.jpg

The 5DIII will probably be this year. How experienced are you as a photographer? If you're relatively inexperienced the T2i is more than enough for now. Use it until you know all the functions like the back your hand. And develop enough skills so that the camera really becomes your limitation. You'll also find that IQ doesn't increase significantly by much as you go up the ladder. It's mostly the functions. As an example, take a look at knuckle's photos; He takes those with a 30D which is 3 generations old now. It's skill that's important, not gear. Pro photographers can get amazing photos with a polaroid camera.

There's an old photographer saying (I'm paraphrasing by memory so forgive me). Beginners want gear, amateurs want skill, pros want light.

The 5DIII will probably be this year. How experienced are you as a photographer? If you're relatively inexperienced the T2i is more than enough for now. Use it until you know all the functions like the back your hand. And develop enough skills so that the camera really becomes your limitation. You'll also find that IQ doesn't increase significantly by much as you go up the ladder. It's mostly the functions. As an example, take a look at knuckle's photos; He takes those with a 30D which is 3 generations old now. It's skill that's important, not gear. Pro photographers can get amazing photos with a polaroid camera.

There's an old photographer saying (I'm paraphrasing by memory so forgive me). Beginners want gear, amateurs want skill, pros want light.

I wholly agree. I like the T2i for IQ and video quality, but there are 2 reasons I may look at another body:

1. I love portraiture and always wanted the Canon 85L II, and now that I bought one, it's too long on my 1.6x body in locations I usually shoot. This is true for my Canon 85mm F1.8 right now, so I would prefer either full-frame or 1.3x for this reason alone, and I'm not as enthusiastic about the Canon 50mm F1.2L option.

2. I got a good deal on my T2i, which is new enough to sell well right now.

I may wait until 5D mkiii is released and pick up a used 5D mkii.

BTW. Have people been impressed with Sigma's Foveon sensor cameras? Some film buffs seem to swear by them, and they do have the new SD1 camera now.

^ If you don't need/care for the bells and whistles (which may not be the case since you stated you love T2i's video), VPI's selling his 5D w/ grip for a nice price here. I probably would have gone for 5D (or at least tried one out) back when I bought my 50D if the used price on 5D was as low as it is now. Too bad 50D's resale value has gone down the tube of late.

Been playing around with Nikon mf lenses on the Sony Nex 5. I love being able to use the older Nikkor manual focus lenses that are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Here is the Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 with the Nex 5 on the back.

Nex5-300mm-2.jpg

Here is a bird shot with that combo (f/8 @ 1/500, and straight from the camera with a slight crop.). A little soft, but it was very windy that day.

Nex5-300mm-1.jpg

Been playing around with Nikon mf lenses on the Sony Nex 5. I love being able to use the older Nikkor manual focus lenses that are plentiful and relatively cheap.

Here is the Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 with the Nex 5 on the back.

Nex5-300mm-2.jpg

Here is a bird shot with that combo (f/8 @ 1/500, and straight from the camera with a slight crop.). A little soft, but it was very windy that day.

Nex5-300mm-1.jpg

The 300 mm and the NEX looks hilarious! I like using my dad's old manual nikon lenses on the 5d. :)