The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Get an EF 35mm F/2 and a new friend.

x2

For a wideangle lens, EF-S 10-22 is the widest (non fisheye) lens Canon makes for a crop sensor. I really like mine, but it is by far my least used lens. There are third-party wideangle lenses, which are usually cheaper, but from what I gathered, third-party lenses appear to have more problems with Canon han other brands.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Get an EF 35mm F/2 and a new friend.

550D is a crop sensor camera so 35mm ends up being a normal lens. Still nice to have though. You'll need to get down to the 20mm or so range to make it a wide angle, I'm not familiar with SLR lenses though so someone else will have to make the recommendations.

thanks for the input. after pretty extensive research, i think i will settle with 70-200 f4L and ef 28mm f2.8. and will get rid of 18-55mm while retaining the 50mm f1.8. will this lenses combination effective for ALMOST all round combination of shooting condition whilst traveling and maintaining the weight at minimum ?

Edited by forbigger

I have two friends who use the 28/2.8 on APS-C bodies (one has a 60D, the other has a Rebel <mumble>). IMJO, the 28 is kind of useless on the APS-C. It's wideness is lost with the cropped sensor, and as Salty said, it's a full stop slower. I shoot available light almost all the time, and for me F/2 is fine for most locations. It's a "big stop" between F/2 and 2.8.

thanks for the input. after pretty extensive research, i think i will settle with 70-200 f4L and ef 28mm f2.8. and will get rid of 18-55mm while retaining the 50mm f1.8. will this lenses combination effective for ALMOST all round combination of shooting condition whilst traveling and maintaining the weight at minimum ?

If I were you, I'd spend the money elsewhere. The 17-55mm 2.8 IS is just a little more and is excellent optically and far better for "normal" photography. It depends on what you're shooting, but most people don't get too much use out of the 70-200mm. However, this is a EF-S lens so it won't work on a full frame body. That is a problem if you plan on upgrading. That being said, it is in great demand and you should be able to sell it easily without taking more than a 20% hit.

The 17-55mm 2.8 IS is just a little more and is excellent optically and far better for "normal" photography.

I really thought hard about getting the 17-55 for a while, but the darn thing now sells for $1150 on Amazon and seems like most users experience dust issues. Also, the more I live with 24-70L (and presumably 17-55), the more and more I appreciate primes, which inspire me to actually take more photographs...

From last fall.

IMG_0511.jpg

Also, the more I live with 24-70L (and presumably 17-55), the more and more I appreciate primes, which inspire me to actually take more photographs...

I've found the same thing with my film cameras, give me a wide angle or normal prime and I'm out there taking photos all day. With a zoom the damn thing's too big and I don't feel like going anywhere with it so I don't get any photos.

Arrgg. Wife dropped the few-month old Canon S95 and now the lens won't move.

I was hoping to stay away from the "portable" camera fray for awhile, but circumstances force my hand. Would prefer at least 1.6x crop sensor, which leaves me with Sony NEX-5 (no lens choice I like yet. NEX-3 seems discontinued), Samsung NX10 (not such good IQ per reviews), Leica (too expensive), and upcoming Fuji X100 (too much $ and not shipping in U.S.).

Wish Nikon and Canon would announce some mirrorless systems soon, esp. Canon that would take EOS lenses...

The nex5 is adaptable to use an awful lot of lenses, and there are more E-mount lenses in the pipeline. You should also be able to find NEX3s cheap, because of their being discontinued.

I *am* leaning towards NEX and would almost certainly buy it right now if they had a prime lens with longer focal length than 16 mm. I also am a little worried about reviews saying NEX doesn't really have a setting to yield accurate colors out of camera, but I guess I can shoot RAW..

Encouraging is the fact Sigma just announced they would be making lenses of NEX and Micro four thirds, though no mention of when.

What are the thoughts on Leica D-Lux or V-Lux line compared to similarly priced competition?

I wanted to play with my new to me tripod head: an Acratech V2 that I bought used.

The camera/lens shifts a bit more than I care for under certain conditions. At the moment I only have a camera based mounting plate (my 80-200f2.8 lens is the generation before it came with the tripod collar) I think that considering the pretty wicked balance error this is excusable: the full weight of the lens is hanging off the front of the camera. Once the head is locked there is no creep with the big lens. With shorter (physical size and focal length) and lighter lenses the head is an absolute joy to use. I rarely use the 80-200, and I dont think it bothers me enough to get a different mounting plate for just that lens.

Now that I talked about it a bunch, none of these were shot with the 80-200 lens. I think they were all shot with my Rokinon 14mm

aaDSC_0477NEF.jpg

aaDSC_0504NEF.jpg

aaDSC_0506NEF.jpg

aaDSC_0513NEF.jpg

I was hoping to stay away from the "portable" camera fray for awhile, but circumstances force my hand. Would prefer at least 1.6x crop sensor, which leaves me with Sony NEX-5 (no lens choice I like yet. NEX-3 seems discontinued), Samsung NX10 (not such good IQ per reviews), Leica (too expensive), and upcoming Fuji X100 (too much $ and not shipping in U.S.)

Question, do you need good image quality at higher ISO speeds? If you're going to use ISO 800 & above a lot then the Sony NEX system is the only choice for what you're looking for, Samsung sucks when the speed is pushed that high. If you're going to be in the ISO 100-400 range for pretty much all your photos it's a closer race, the Samsung still has a bit more sensor noise but I don't think it's that big of a problem. Samsung has a wide and normal prime and they have a 60mm macro and fast 85mm prime coming out later this year.

Personally I like the Samsung NX100 more than the NX10, you lose the viewfinder & flash but you get a smaller, lighter, and easier to use camera with the same sensor.