The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Was messing around at 3am, decided to play with B&W a little. Thoughts?

**BRENT**

There could have been more light on her face. You should use different BW filters to try to get some more contrast. The overall effect is nice since I assume you had no control over the scene. Maybe you can do a little more post to dim that light a little bit. Sweet bokeh though, I assume 50mm 1.4?

First shot, hand held and without fidgeting with anything, using my 17mm tilt/shift Cannon L glass with the 5D2. Should be a fun lens to play around with.

IMG_6222.jpg

I'm so fucking jealous. That's an awesome lens. So's the 24mm TS-E II.

Some friends of mine came back from LA last week, and I hung out with them and did some photo geeking.

5855128881_4f859bb1a9_b.jpg

Old Time Eddy, posing in his darkroom. Those are rolls of B&W 120 film behind him. Worked over substantially in Photoshop using the Silver Efex Pro plugin. I used the Ilford PAN F Plus 50 film type and "Antique Plate I" style. I then converted it to grayscale and applied a medium gray quadtone. Photo was taken with Eddy's 5D and my 17-40L. Strobes were a 580EX on-body in TTL mode, and a 580EX II at 1/32nd power about 18" out on the left, bouncing off a white card. In spite being a dozen years my junior, Eddy regularly shows me up with his photography skills. He's shot 35mm film, 4x5" large format, and is now using a 1950s vintage Rolleicord TLR I gave him a year ago. Check out his Flickr page to see his work.

5858631003_830a25bc84_b.jpg

Strictly speaking, this is a terribly exposed shot. I was futzing with Eddy's 5D, my 17-40L, and two 580EX speedlites. I had one mounted on the camera, and the other slaved (sort of). Jair is flipping me off because he's sick of getting blinded by the second strobe. The colors on the original were kind of awful, so I converted it to black & white and worked over the levels quite a bit. In spite of all of that, it's kind of an amusing shot.

5848187884_41d07d1a53_b.jpg

Jair and Rosie contemplate the pool table. Taken with Eddy's 5D and my Nikkor E series 75-150mm F/3.5 zoom, shot through the glass door of the Pula's smoking lounge.

That one's RS-5, iirc. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get RS-5 which comes with extra storage, or RS-Sport which supposedly is bit more comfortable but doesn't have the storage. Of course, Black Rapid is out of stock on RS-5, so if I go that route, I'd have to wait a while.

EDIT - Jeff, is one of the pockets on RS-5 big enough to hold iPhone 4 in Otterbox Defender case (assuming you still have the Defender case)?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

That one's RS-5, iirc. I'm trying to figure out if I want to get RS-5 which comes with extra storage, or RS-Sport which supposedly is bit more comfortable but doesn't have the storage. Of course, Black Rapid is out of stock on RS-5, so if I go that route, I'd have to wait a while.

EDIT - Jeff, is one of the pockets on RS-5 big enough to hold iPhone 4 in Otterbox Defender case (assuming you still have the Defender case)?

No the phone pocket won't even hold an iPhone 4 with no case. It is really small. Maybe the Sport is a better idea, that one wasn't out when I was buying.