The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Awesome shooting.

Its nearly impossible to do with available light, most people use flash to stop insect/hummingbird wings.

Thanks for the reply, I thought so. Something in the way they stop a bullet when it breaks through a glass, but probably way easier to implement. In any case I don't think this photo had been any better (probably not this good) getting the wings stopped.

Thanks for the reply, I thought so. Something in the way they stop a bullet when it breaks through a glass, but probably way easier to implement. In any case I don't think this photo had been any better (probably not this good) getting the wings stopped.

Shutter is already at 1/2500, and in avail light, in order to have decent depth of field (higher F/Stop), ISO had to be raised to get correct exposure.

I have been experimenting with several DIY designs for Macro flash, but it looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get a true ring flash for certain shots. Looking at a couple of <$150 options from Bower(same as Phoenix), Vivitar, and Opteka, etc, but all have some reports of early failure as well as happy users. Dont' want to spend the Canon ring flash price...yet.

Edited by Jon L

Man, these Billingham bags are aggravating. I do not know how people are fitting two pro bodies and 4 lenses in this thing, I cannot comfortably fit one with three lenses. Even then it is a major operation to get anything in or out of the bag. The little ThinkTank Retro 10 would easily fit everything I am trying to shoehorn into this much bigger bag with no problem. The crappy inserts that come with it will not hold anything buy kit lenses so I bought all the extras and that takes up extra space. Maybe the 435 could be the Nex 7 bag?

I can get the 5DmkII gripped/L-bracketed/quick release/R-Strap with 50 f1.2 on and the 35 and 16-35 on the sides if I lose their hoods. Kind of a finicky bag with all of the clasps and flaps but I think with the right inserts it can be used and I like the looks a lot better than my ThinkTanks.

i-KdDVGgr-XL.jpg

i-QvkLB99-XL.jpg

I'm still in saving-for-my-next-camera mode, thus the following DIY Super Cheap light modifiers.

Introducing my Super Cheap light modifiers.

From left to right:

Morton Salt container DIY Macro flash

Pringles potato chip super snoot, with Pringles container cap in front for diffusion

Milk Jug Super Omni-Bounce

6645594013_85578273b6_z.jpg

Cheap DIY Light Modifiers by drjlo1, on Flickr

M U S T .. RES.I.S.T.

Resistance is futile.

I've been hoping and waiting for this camera ever since a Fuji rep told me that they'd have something like this in the works if the X100 sold well.

I can finally put away my film cameras for everything other than shooting Velvia 50.

For me it's worth it since I'm unwilling to carry around anything bigger than an Olympus OM-1, regardless of how good it is.

Worst case is around $3500 for the body and all 3 lenses, which isn't any more than the other system I was considering (Pentax K-5 with Limited Series lenses).

It's definitely a niche system and I can certainly see why it isn't worth it for many people.