The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

One thing I'd love to know though is, how is Canon 7d AF (current mainstream generation) vs. Nikon's AF?

I had D7000 before but I sold it and now have 7D.

7D's AF is more customizable than D7000 and has more cross type points, but I actually feel D7000's AF is a bit better when tracking moving subject.

And I don't like how I have to press the AF point selection button on 7D every single time so that I can choose another focusing point. On D7000, I just use the multi controller to choose 1 focusing point and then half press shutter button to focus, and if I wanna choose another point, just use the controller again.

So on 7D:

AF point selection button

Control dial/main dial/multi controller

Shutter

to choose another point on 7D:

AF point selection button

Control dial/main dial/multi controller

Shutter

On D7000:

multi controller

Shutter

to choose another point on D7000:

multi controller

shutter

Canon sucks at ergonomics, and they just started to put multifunction button at the front of the camera body after Nikon has done it for ages

Edited by Cankin

And I don't like how I have to press the AF point selection button on 7D every single time so that I can choose another focusing point. On D7000, I just use the multi controller to choose 1 focusing point and then half press shutter button to focus, and if I wanna choose another point, just use the controller again.

You can do the same thing on 7D (or any other Canon DSLR with multi-control joystick thingies, IIRC), you just need to change the setting in the menu. I'm pretty sure it's under "Autofocus point selection" under "Autofocus/Drive" in the menu (you "want multi-controller direct"). If you want to change the AF area type (single-point, etc.) you still need to press another button but not so for changing a focusing point within same AF area type.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Took the Nikon out for a night on the town.

Started by testing the lens/camera setup on the very difficult red and pasty white colors.

1-18-1-XL.jpg

Then went to Grand Central to see the Constellations.

1-18-2-XL.jpg

and checked out the stage for the world's largest Squash Tournament.

1-18-3-XL.jpg

Then jumped on the train over to Times Square

1-18-5-XL.jpg

1-18-10-XL.jpg

Took a picture of this joint just so I would remember to tell Colin they are selling his favorite food out of a box.

1-18-4-XL.jpg

Edited by VPI

How do you like them, Jeff? I'm on a different computer than my usual one. I find them a bit obscure and lacking color liveliness compared to other of your pics, which I find wonderful most of the times smile.png

That's the Nikon "look" if you adjust the saturation a bit in the camera you can make the colors look like Canon. It's an odd thing but it seems to hold on all of their SLRs that I've seen. More clinical I would say, I prefer it.

I dunno about a pale "Nikon look." K-Rock turns the saturation of his Nikons up to 11 and goes for cartoon colors. The pro and prosumer Nikon bodies have quite a few saturation and color options buried in their labirinthine menu system.

This part two of the gig I did last October (right before the epic snowstorm and 8 days without power.) DJ Frankie Bones was the headliner, and he arrived very late only to have about 20 minutes to play. As I said in my on the subject, Frankie negotiated a deal where he'd go back to the promoter's house and do an exclusive set in exchange for most of his fee. At the end of the night I listened to Frankie spin to about 25 people. It was amazing. He has been DJing for 25+ years now, and his set showed a profound understanding of the history of dance music. The only set I've heard that was better was when I saw Afrika Bambataa play in 2007.

6626031305_22b0c85402_b.jpg

6619719897_17850c6c6f_b.jpg

I like this silhouette of Katherine in this one.

6619878067_19b8b039fb_b.jpg

Liquid sky and glass gobos.

6410613611_6bd18880a3_b.jpg

Frankie, back in the promoter's studio. That widget in the middle is a hybrid DJ mixer and Traktor (DJ software) controller. It looks shiny, but I did not like using it. Give me a real analogue mixer any day.

6632914751_0dbbfed9e7_b.jpg

The above setup, available light.

6514437777_da6b4a61c9_b.jpg

One more of Katherine.

The above shots were all taken with my battered old 30D and mostly my 50mm F/1.4 and 17-50MM F/4. Click through for EXIF.

I have still more images to post from the first few outings with my (second) S95. They're gonna have to wait for another post.

I dunno about a pale "Nikon look." K-Rock turns the saturation of his Nikons up to 11 and goes for cartoon colors. The pro and prosumer Nikon bodies have quite a few saturation and color options buried in their labirinthine menu system.

I was referring to pure stock colors. Canon in my experience always looks lusher & more vibrant but it's all in the saturation settings. For example my bussy who is a lot more into photography than me at this point had canon and picked it because it looke lusher then ended switching to a Nikon because he thought it was more true to the colors in the shot. Of course YMMV.

How do you like them, Jeff? I'm on a different computer than my usual one. I find them a bit obscure and lacking color liveliness compared to other of your pics, which I find wonderful most of the times smile.png

It definitely is a bit different but I do enjoy the layout/function of the D3. I am not as happy with the quality of the lens. I expect a $2,000 lens to have very smooth zoom and focus controls. This one seems to function about like a $200 lens.

I very much like the focus speed with the Nikon in low light. Dramatically better than the 5D and I think maybe even faster than the 1D mk IV in low light.

Thanks Jeff. I only have personal experience with one Nikon lens and I felt a bit deceived with its mechanical performance too, compared to equivalent Pentax. 0 experience with Canon DSLR glass.

It's good to know that tweaking Nikon settings and without going into laborious edition one can get the same warm and vivid look of the Canon pics.