The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I have Yongnuo YN-467 (E-TTL) and YN-460 II (manual). I also have Canon 580EX II and 430EX II. Frankly, both Yongnuo's are every bit as good functionally as 430EX II, and since I'm not all that impressed by 430EX build quality anyway, Yongnuo build quality seems fine to me, at 1/4 to 1/5th the price. Yongnuos also have optical slave, which Canons don't (why not?).

580EX II is far better built than all of the above but way overpriced IMO.

While I can vouch for my own YN-467 and 460 II, there are certain Yongnuo models, including the latest YN-565 that have quite a few user complaints regarding early death, etc, so YMMV.

I'm considering these:

YN-565, it is 580EX II clone minus wireless master and HSS. It is around $150 shipped but I've also seen those complaints too.

The other flash I'm looking at is Nissin Di866 mkII $260, but again, there are complaints about quality too.

The Metz 50 AF-1 $199 is probably good too. Not as powerful as YN-565 and Di866 mkII but seems like a good balance of price, feature and quality.

I don't get it either. I think the Olympus designers missed the point. Those of us who used to shoot film are hankering for a digital camera that handles like our old film bodies & has resolution & dynamic range that approaches our old film medium.

I want a shutter speed dial. I want a real aperture ring. I want an ISO dial. I want the brightest, clearest viewfinder to make it easier to manually focus. I want lenses with markings to allow for easy zone prefocusing. Fuck LCD's with buttons, & menus, & submenus.

Making the same digital camera, controls and all (or lack thereof), in the shape of a classic OM camera does not cut it, imo. But what do I know...*shrug*

This. I hate menus and having to navigate for minutes (or carrying the manual) to know where to activate or change a function. Add to all those buttons/wheels you mention a white balance selector and we're done.

Doesn't the m9 fit that description? Don't know about the film stuff but it has all the necessary dials you require.

I don't get it either. I think the Olympus designers missed the point. Those of us who used to shoot film are hankering for a digital camera that handles like our old film bodies & has resolution & dynamic range that approaches our old film medium.

I want a shutter speed dial. I want a real aperture ring. I want an ISO dial. I want the brightest, clearest viewfinder to make it easier to manually focus. I want lenses with markings to allow for easy zone prefocusing. Fuck LCD's with buttons, & menus, & submenus.

Making the same digital camera, controls and all (or lack thereof), in the shape of a classic OM camera does not cut it, imo. But what do I know...*shrug*

I'm considering these:

YN-565, it is 580EX II clone minus wireless master and HSS. It is around $150 shipped but I've also seen those complaints too.

The other flash I'm looking at is Nissin Di866 mkII $260, but again, there are complaints about quality too.

The Metz 50 AF-1 $199 is probably good too. Not as powerful as YN-565 and Di866 mkII but seems like a good balance of price, feature and quality.

What are you trying to do with the flash? On-camera ETTL, Off-camera ETTL, Off-camera manual flash, etc?

I was in your exact shoes a few months back and almost ordered the Nissin Di866 II, due to less complaints of early demise than YN565, but Canon had their end-of-year rebates on flashes, so I ended up just buying the Canons. There's also less complaints with Nissin 866II regarding complaints of not being compatible with wireless E-TTL triggers of various brands.

If the X Pro-1 optical viewfinder is anything like the x100's. It won't be extremely useful. Especially at long focal lengths.

When I shot with the x100, i pretty much stuck with EVF 90% of the time.

Nope, I'll stick with my OM-1. I hate EVFs, give me an actual optical viewfinder and at least an APS-C sensor. Given that it's an OM, I can't understand why it doesn't have a full-frame sensor. I just don't get this camera. Mind you I have the entire X-Pro-1 system on order so they'd literally have to come out with a digital OM-2SP for me to buy into the system.

oh man that sounds so great. I still prefer using the nikon f3 over the 5d mkII.

What are you trying to do with the flash? On-camera ETTL, Off-camera ETTL, Off-camera manual flash, etc?

I was in your exact shoes a few months back and almost ordered the Nissin Di866 II, due to less complaints of early demise than YN565, but Canon had their end-of-year rebates on flashes, so I ended up just buying the Canons. There's also less complaints with Nissin 866II regarding complaints of not being compatible with wireless E-TTL triggers of various brands.

I ordered YN 565EX, I think it is sufficient for my basic needs like bounce flach and off camera ETTL.

Edited by Cankin

OH, MY. The D800e with no AA filter at $3300 is REALLY placing my Canon loyalty in distress. Nikon really seems to have delivered a mean left hook to Canon, and I really don't think Canon's 5D Mk III (or whatever it's called) is going to be able to match the D800e..

If I switch to Nikon and use Canon lens-to-Nikon Body adapter for my L glass, am I going to lose on-camera aperture control? (in addition to AF)

Yeah, the price point is the real shocker in that announcement. It makes sense, given what the D700's opening price was, but I don't think many people really believed that Nikon would launch the highest resolution DSLR on the market at that price (we're talking about the same company that launched a previous "highest-res" DSLR at $8000).

If the AF is indeed the same as the D4, it will be a substantial improvement over the D700. I was quite surprised by how much faster the D4 could focus my 24-120 f/4 when I tried it at CES, it felt more like the 24-70 f/2.8 on a D700 (AF-wise).

I'll wait for some real tests and comparisons before going gaga over the no-AA option. It might be great, or it might be a marginal improvement at best, over the standard D800 with a bit of normal capture sharpening. Same goes for the 36MP, let's see both how it really handles noise, and down-res's, and how many lenses are really able to keep up with that level of resolution, especially in the corners.

Nikon would be wise not to ignore the non-pro, high-ISO body altogether. Another model with the D800's body/AF/metering, and the sensor/video of the D3s, and let's say 8FPS, at ~$2400-2600 would be a damn good seller, I'd think. The D4 would still retain advantages in video, resolution, and FPS, while giving up no ISO performance.

Most photographers need 36MP like they need a hole in the head. I'd still like to see a D3S sensor in a D700 body.

That is my main gripe with this also. 20-25 MP is the most I would like to go. Also, how does it cost $300 MORE when you take out something (AA filter) at the factory?