The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I am running seriously low on Canon equipment at my house. I am really enjoying shooting with the Nikon body and I am contemplating getting the D800 now and keeping the D3 instead of buying the D4 as was my original plan. The D3 is not really missing anything I need and I would like a FF body that is smaller/lighter on the Nikon side. I have no interest in video but there have been some times when I have wished for a larger image size when cropping. The D800 image size is a bit too large but I am sure I could live with Ginormous files as HDs are cheap, outside of flood price hikes.

Would I be nuts to get the D800 and some glass to complement the D3 instead of picking up the D4?

went back to the nikon lens today before i gave up on af altogether. MUCH better. Don't think I could have gotten this shot with manual focus that quickly. Pulled out the camera of the bag, click, done. might get some zf glass just to satisfy the mf monkey on my back but Im pleased with the sharpness of the lens, at least in the center. in retrospect, i wish i had picked a higher f stop to get the front 2 flowers in focus as well but i know better for next time. essentially a 100% crop. just had to move the boundaries out to get all the flowers in the image.

GgpdP.jpg

as far as pp goes, how does one prevent washing out parts of those petals that you see washed out? the image straight out of the camera seemed really really saturated.

Edited by crappyjones123

Man, does that X-Pro 1 look great on the street. But bet it can't do this :)

Showing how I mounted a speedlite onto tripod mount on the macro lens using a spigot adapter, as Ring flash by itself can be a little too flat and shadowless. Now I have the problem of not being able to mount the camera to tripod via the tripod mount!

6865517641_fded4e4982_z.jpg

MP-E 65mm by drjlo1, on Flickr

Seems like there's somewhat of a camera renaissance going on of late, with the Fuji X-Pro 1, Sony NEX-7, Nikon D800, Olympus, etc. Sure hope Canon doesn't F*** it up with whatever they will announce soon.

I have a wedding to go to tomorrow in beautiful Rancho Palos Verdes by the ocean. Sure wish I had something like the X-Pro 1, but I guess I will once again be the geek family member with the large camera bag at weddings..

^ Considering their DSLR market share was close to 45% in 2010, I doubt they're worried about it. That and their lens/accessory lineup is still better than the competition, short of Nikon. I know both Fuji and Sony both have released/leaked roadmaps showing substantial number of lenses (along with accessories and cameras) to be released in the next two to three years, but until they're actually out in consumers' hands, they mean nothing. Case in point - where's NEX-7?

Oh, and here's the battery grip for D800 - MB-D12. For low, low price of $616.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I spent today fixing this (fingers crossed):

Trip_35.jpg

The underexposure preventer wasn't working and the aperture blades were jammed. It was a whore of a job to get it apart and cleaned. It was one of many pieces of photography equipment which belonged to my maternal grandfather (died in the 80s) the rest of it being OM system gear. Most of the stuff is basically NIB and only turned up recently because my grandmothers house has been slowly cleared out after her death.

OM_Stuff.jpg

I havent taken a photo on 35mm film in years before today and even when I did as a kid it was using disposable cameras (I wasn't allowed to use dads OM-1). I'm keen to see if this wee Trip 35 can take a half decent photo so I slapped a roll of Fuji Superia 400 in it. Cute little thing, and no need for batteries!

It appears X-Pro1 was actually released in Japan yesterday and after looking through some sites/posts in Japanese, it isn't looking too good. From what I gathered, the AF is slow (faster than X100, but still slow), and both LCD & EVF stops while focusing. Oh, and I guess the framing line that shows up on OVF also disappears while focusing, which makes the OVF bit pointless.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

with so much hoopla around these mirror less cameras, i get the feeling that it has been more or less a failed experiment. the nex 3 and 5, it feels were far more successful. the 5n seems to be gaining a bit of ground with the 5 users but the nex 7 probably due to the cost hasn't been as successful. probably the lack of native lenses. one can adapt a bunch of rangefinder glass but one doesn't need $1000+ body to do that. for people that know what they are doing, the nex 5 is "good enough." the x100 seems to come in second place in terms of market adoption. anything after that doesn't seem to have stuck from the little i have read. i still have the nex 5 body (sold the lens) and am contemplating just keeping it and buying another zeiss lens down the line. or getting a zf lens for my d7000 and getting a f-e mount adapter. hmm

Went to Tivoli Theatre in Chattanooga last weekend to see the Chattanooga Symphony & Orchestra's Big Band Fever! Just messing around in Lightroom 4 for a bit.

I was one of two people with a dSLR, in the front row, and the only person without either someone or a rope in front of them, but that was just the width of the stairs going to the stage. I want something with more usable high-ISO now. Grrr... some of these kids were just moving too fast.

Suspenders%2520Takes%2520The%2520Lead.jpg

Red%2520Twirl.jpg

Leaping%2520Lovers.jpg

Bass%2520solo.jpg

The%2520Happy%2520Couple.jpg

**BRENT**

I'm still reading through the backlog of this thread. Frankly amazed at what I've not been seeing.

That doesn't look like a bad haul duggeh. Not bad at all. Post results pls.

I put two rolls of 24 through the Trip 35. 8 pictures aren't dreadful. I signed up to Flickr as it's what everyone here seems to be using.

6910686569_90cf07ca90_z.jpg

CNV00003 by Duggeh, on Flickr

Do I really need to take up photography which doesn't mean leaving the digital point and shoot on "auto" as a hobby right now? No. But it looks like it's going to happen anyway.

Edited by Duggeh