The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

i just got the rokinon lens in the mail and the focus confirmation light is going off when the subject is not actually in focus. the rokinon lenses are notorious for being incorrectly calibrated. how does one go about fixing this? or is it something that can be dealt with in the camera? the af micro adjustment only really works on af lenses. would a nikon service center be able to look at the combo and offer a solution? i had issues with the sigma lens back focusing also but it turned out to be the lenses fault. this lens also seems to have an issue with the focus. could something be off with the body?

Is the focus confirmation light really that important? I just focus my Rok 35/1.4 by eye. Perhaps that's significantly easier through an FX viewfinder, but it should still be doable on DX. Besides, if your subject is moving, you probably don't have time for the focus confirmation light anyway. I would think that the AF adjust feature might work for this lens to control where the camera considers it to be "in focus", if you really need that feature to work. I say just shoot by eye, practice, and you'll get better than you could believe.

Possibly NSFW.

Finally I envy that guy's job a little.

I didn't realized Nikon's 85mm f/1.8 hasn't really been updated to AF-S status until now. $500 is higher than Canon's EF 85mm f/1.8 USM prices, which is the obvious target. Reminds me I need to make more use of my canon 85 f/1.8, which has been in the shadows of 85L..

Got around to installing LR4 I had bought couple days ago when it was released. Unfortunately, it's less responsive than LR3, not annoyingly so, but just enough to be noticeable (FWIW, I'm using early 2011 15" MBP w/ 2.3 GHz i7 & 8GB of RAM). Oh, and now my plug-ins don't work.

This is what happens when I don't wait to get a software until after a patch or two like I usually do.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

The plugins thing seems to be common. I think I saw something about a fix somewhere. Also some more serious issues I was reading about but can't recall specifics.

I finally got around to upgrading to the latest Photoshop taking advantage of the $400 off at Amazon. I have not really used PS since CS so I have a lot to work on to get some sort of grip on it.

^ I keep thinking about grabbing a copy of Photoshop myself since I can get a educator discount, but I'm not sure I'm up for learning how to use it at this time.

I found a potential work-around for the plug-in issue so I'll see if that works once I'm done downloading the necessary items. Otherwise, I'll just got back to LR3 until Adobe resolves the issue.

Fairly informative by DRTV's standards.

The more sample photos from X-Pro 1 I see, the more impressed I am. DigitalRev video's ISO comparison photos at the end with 5D mkii was almost shockingly in favor of X-Pro 1, smaller sensor and all. Some of the other photos floating out there show exceptionally clean and saturated photo's. Oohh, if only they came in EOS lens mount..

Sony could have had a huge head start in this premium segment, but the tsunami must have really messed things up for them. More choices the better, I suppose.

Samples photos do look nice, but the whole AF and EVF issues as noted here and elsewhere (along with same horrible manual focusing as X100) are disappointing, especially for the cost.

EDIT- Nate, it'll be $2300 if you actually want to take photos with it ($1700 for body and $600 for a lens).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Even with a brother that works for Fuji I doubt it'd be worth it unless you just have to have something 1/2 the size of a DSLR. I wonder, really, how much larger it'd feel than my D7000 w/ a 35mm prime on it, for $1,100 more. Oh and I'd have a pop up flash if I needed one. And be able to get it to focus.

Even with a brother that works for Fuji I doubt it'd be worth it unless you just have to have something 1/2 the size of a DSLR. I wonder, really, how much larger it'd feel than my D7000 w/ a 35mm prime on it, for $1,100 more. Oh and I'd have a pop up flash if I needed one. And be able to get it to focus.

Sigh. I know somebody who can get me a Sony employee discount, so I was planning on NEX-7 + Zeiss 24mm as my "travel camera," but the employee discount is not that much at all, and since pre-ordering 5d mkiii, my photographic budget has suddenly shrunken big time. It also sucks that Sony is raising prices on many lenses, including Zeiss E mount in "April," which I just found out, so it's either pre-order NEX-7/Zeiss/more lens now sight-unseen, or just use my Canon crop body + prime as "travel camera."