The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I gave up trying to get used to it and reversed the direction of the indicator and dials. Now my brain won't keep yelling at me that "+" should be on the right and "-" should be on the left, as I was taught for years in math classes. As for zoom and focus direction, no problems for me since I don't own zooms and I don't really manual focus that often.

Putting on/taking off lens does confuse me, though. It doesn't help that just about everything else around is "righty tighty, lefty loosey."

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Completely forgetting that Nikon's exposure meter is opposite from Canon's, spent the last two hours shooting at -1/3 exposure compensation when I meant to be shooting at +1/3. facepalm.png

Salty ... not sure which Nikon body you are using, but most will let you reverse the direction of wheel turn for exposure comp and other settings. Mixed blessing, because as soon as you pick up another Nikon body you are screwed again. I reversed mine on D700 and D7000, though, and it is more natural.

He should have used some more up-to-date Nikon lenses than that AF-D lens he had. At any rate, I am pretty impressed how well the 36MP D800 does in high ISO compared to the 12MP D700. Quite impressive, actually, given the pixel pitch.

Here's an interesting article on 5D mkiii and D800 and diffraction limitation.

http://frontallobbings.blogspot.ca/2012/03/canon-5dmkiii-vs-nikon-d800-megapixel.html

Just clicked "Complete Order" at B&H on a 5N, plus a handful of accessories. I've read (here) about the lack of Sony Emount lenses and all, but really like the form factor of the camera. At most I'd probably buy just an additional prime lens unless the kit lens is a total failure. , maybe an off-camera flash system. I'm happy to move up to a larger sensor than I had with the Fuji that I killed off a few months back. Time will tell.

I was pretty damn skeptical of the D800 when the 36mp rumor really fired up. I just didn't think Nikon would be able to maintain enough pixel-level integrity at that high a MP count. However, it seems this is another big step forward for Nikon, at the forefront of sensor technology. I've played with a number of NEF files, and the performance is pretty stunning. The D800 wipes the floor with the D700 above ISO6400, with a much finer grain structure that retains a lot more detail, in spite of the noise. And of course, the D800's dynamic range and resolution at low ISO is just stunning. Heck, just having a native ISO100 will be nice for me, it's like a free 1-stop ND compared to the D700, and somewhat necessary to fight off the lower diffraction limits.

Here's a different take on the resolution question as compared to the 5D3: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d-resolution-tests

Here's a different take on the resolution question as compared to the 5D3: http://www.lensrenta...esolution-tests

I don't think that article has a "different take" at all. It shows the expected higher resolution of D800 given 36MP onto same FF sensor size. I do congratulate Nikon, as they have genuinely pulled off a revolution with D800 over D700. The differences are stunning, especially how well D800 does over D700 at high ISO! Since Sony makes the sensor, the upcoming Sony A99 full frame 36.9 MP camera holds high promise as well, which is rumored to be priced aggressively. It's a full frame renaissance all of a sudden. I do see the performance peak at f/4-5.6 with quick falloff to f/8 (highest f stop tested), so the expected further drop at f/11-14 due to diffraction is a real phenomenon, mainly for those landscape and macro shooters.

For us Canon users (aka stuck with Canon due to vast lens collection) I do think Canon delivered what the customers wanted, i.e. progressive improvements to what's already great yet vastly revamp the problem area (AF). For the vast majority of people for vast majority of uses for most print sizes, the areas where D800 outperforms won't particularly matter, but if you use perfect technique (tripod, mirror lockup, high shutter speed, great lighting, etc) and make huge prints, then D800 or 800e may be God's gift.

I'd think for most folks, D800/E's 36MP sensor will be more of a hindrance, especially from file management stand point. It was bad enough for me with 5d2 and it's 21MP sensor, I can't imagine how much of a pain it would dealing with D800 RAW files.

No problem, people think our lossless music are crazy