The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I have an order in. Now when that might become an actual camera is a whole 'nother matter.

Not interested in the E version. Some insight into why is well summarized here: http://www.fredmiran...topic/1095136/1

Nice, Peter. I agree the non E is best. It should be perfect for your gorgeous landscapes and nature shots. Hope delivery is soon.

Just clicked "Complete Order" at B&H on a 5N, plus a handful of accessories. I've read (here) about the lack of Sony Emount lenses and all, but really like the form factor of the camera. At most I'd probably buy just an additional prime lens unless the kit lens is a total failure. , maybe an off-camera flash system. I'm happy to move up to a larger sensor than I had with the Fuji that I killed off a few months back. Time will tell.

I like mine so far. At some point I will have to return it for the clicking issue fix (should take only a few days) otherwise it is nice to use and I carry it almost everywhere. The kit lens are ok (the 7 is much more picky) but it will take many months till they announce the new ones and update the range.

Edited by padam

I like mine so far. At some point I will have to return it for the clicking issue fix (should take only a few days) otherwise it is nice to use and I carry it almost everywhere. The kit lens are ok (the 7 is much more picky) but it will take many months till they announce the new ones and update the range.

Good to hear that you like it. I keep hearing about the updates as well, but I'll treat this like a computer purchase: I know there will be a better one in the future. But I want a camera now!

Seems to be mixed reviews for the kit lens but that seems common for many camera kits. I might auction off an arm or leg and get some Leica glass in the future.

until then you could play with voigtlander/zeiss/contax/minolta glass. i am sure there are many other options but the nice thing with the nex 5/5n (less so with the nex 7 because it doesn't like wide angle lenses adapted to it) is you have a shitload of lenses you could play with using adapters. after a brief stint with a d7000 i am heading back to the nex 5 which has been sitting around lensless. there is a local zeiss 35/2.8 available which is what i had prior to the d7000 that is enticing me. i am looking for something a little faster but if nothing comes up in the next few days i will grab the 35mm zeiss. i doubt ill ever have enough money for leica glass nor do i think i know enough to justify the cost of leica lenses. i might grab a cheap voigtlander to hold me over until i find the zeiss i want for a reasonable price. check out the alt forum on fredmiranda.com - big thread with people using nex almost exclusively with zeiss/contax lenses.

DigitalRev 5D III

DigitalRev 5D III vs. D800

Speaking as 5D III owner, I must say those D800 shots look fantastically clean and detailed, so crisp with apparent dynamic range to burn (if a bit cool).

Still, those 5D III shots and D800 shots look SO completely different in white balance, saturation, exposure, I don't see how one could easily compare..

until then you could play with voigtlander/zeiss/contax/minolta glass. i am sure there are many other options but the nice thing with the nex 5/5n (less so with the nex 7 because it doesn't like wide angle lenses adapted to it) is you have a shitload of lenses you could play with using adapters. after a brief stint with a d7000 i am heading back to the nex 5 which has been sitting around lensless. there is a local zeiss 35/2.8 available which is what i had prior to the d7000 that is enticing me. i am looking for something a little faster but if nothing comes up in the next few days i will grab the 35mm zeiss. i doubt ill ever have enough money for leica glass nor do i think i know enough to justify the cost of leica lenses. i might grab a cheap voigtlander to hold me over until i find the zeiss i want for a reasonable price. check out the alt forum on fredmiranda.com - big thread with people using nex almost exclusively with zeiss/contax lenses.

Y'know, after I wrote that I ran out to look at the cost(s) of my statement. And I found out I'm, um, not likely to get one of those any time soon. Ha. I just remember seeing some reviews of the 5N with Leica glass and just thinking how clean they looked and how sweet the color was. Oh well. But now you've reminded me that the zeiss/contax lenses should be on the audition list. Thanks. I'll go check out FredandMira. After having a decent point & shoot it'll be nice to get back to something that give me more control and lens options.

Thanks for the tips! Good stuff!

Good to hear that you like it. I keep hearing about the updates as well, but I'll treat this like a computer purchase: I know there will be a better one in the future. But I want a camera now!

Seems to be mixed reviews for the kit lens but that seems common for many camera kits. I might auction off an arm or leg and get some Leica glass in the future.

Yes there will be an update at the end of the year (there should be anyway as the 24MP D3200 and others are coming which should take back some lost ground) but it is still far away. Being able to take photos is the most important thing and the kit lens are better than average. Not great for MF but they do have OSS which is useful when hand-held and the distortion compensation works quite well (turned off by default) so I can use JPEG+RAW until I figure out how to make the best out of the latter (which is after I figured out how to make the best out of the camera azn.gif ). Leica lens are probably overkill for this but there are many more much cheaper options.

I also instantly updated the firmware to 1.01 and the AF is certainly faster but still not blazing fast.

2nd try with the view(linked full res).

Still not great (and not at the right time either) but better than the 1st. It is quite windy these days so it is a challenge even with a tripod.

DSC00362_cr.jpg

Yes there will be an update at the end of the year (there should be anyway as the 24MP D3200 and others are

Do you mean software update, or update to the NEX line?

I also instantly updated the firmware to 1.01 and the AF is certainly faster but still not blazing fast.

I believe the units that are shipping now have 1.01. That might be mine!

2nd try with the view(linked full res).

Still not great (and not at the right time either) but better than the 1st. It is quite windy these days so it is a challenge even with a tripod.

A little counterclockwise rotation will do it if you ask me. Nice shot!

As for you, VPI, Aloha! Nice to see someone getting away from tourist-town and exploring the natural beauty of the islands. I la maika'i nou!