The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Can anyone suggest a good camera shop in the DC or Atlanta area? I'm going to be on vacation in both places in the coming weeks and would like to try out a couple of different lenses, macro and tele, before I commit to buying. I would like to be able to put the lens on the camera and see if I like the way it works before I buy. I'm still trying to learn all the lens lingo so am really unsure what I am looking at online. I've got a Canon T3i if it matters.

Can anyone suggest a good camera shop in the DC or Atlanta area? I'm going to be on vacation in both places in the coming weeks and would like to try out a couple of different lenses, macro and tele, before I commit to buying. I would like to be able to put the lens on the camera and see if I like the way it works before I buy. I'm still trying to learn all the lens lingo so am really unsure what I am looking at online. I've got a Canon T3i if it matters.

Penn camera in DC? No real experience with them but have a friend who likes them.

In that case the 600 does make a lot of sense. It will be interesting to see how the low-light perfornace between the 6 and 7 stacks up. I wouldn't read too much into it from just the pixel count given the outstanding performance that Nikon was able to get out of the 7000 despite the smaller sensor size. I'd still love to go FF but after speaking with a couple of professionals about it there's just no good reason for me to do so. I don't need the benefits that it could potentially provide and don't want the penalties that come along with it (often related to size/$$).

i don't believe that Sony and Canon have similar cameras, as this is a full frame sensor in a prosumer body. the other cameras are, i believe, traditional magnesium bodies.

I was going by Engadet's comparison. It appears you are correct with regards to Canon but the impending A99 from Sony looks very similar to me as far as specs.

Edited by Dreadhead

i have almost all FX glass (the one piece that isn't, my Tamron Wide-Angle, only vignettes on FX at the furthest zoom, which is part of why i bought it), and i just don't see myself buying another DX camera. i'll either suck up the D600 cost or buy a low-mileage D700, i think. the D700 will likely give better low-light performance, due to the pixel size, than the D600, but the D700 is kinda heavy. and i'd rather get something new than something older, honestly. i've never bought a DSLR new, and i would like to.

It's actually quite likely that the D600 will have beeter high ISO performance than the D700, despite the higher pixel count. The D800 is certainly better in low light than the D700, as the much smaller pixels make for a more pleasing tight grain structure, and the per-pixel signal-to-noise ratio is at least as good, if not better. The newer Sony sensors have really upped the game, giving higher resolution AND equal if not better low-light performance, and I'd be very surprised if the D600's sensor doesn't follow that lead.

The D700 is a bit of a brick, and the lighter weight of the D600 would certainly be appreciated, but it does come at a cost of less ruggedness. However, other than ruggedness, higher FPS, and a few more external controls/ports, the D600 has most of the practical advantages. If I had to choose between the two, I'd get the D600. The only circumstance I can think of where I'd potentially prefer the D700, would be a scenario where I'd use it with the grip for maximum FPS, but at today's prices I'd rather just get a used D3 for that particular purpose (and that would only be in the case of shooting fast action, and not spending what a D3s or D4 would cost).

The D600 pricing is disappointing.

Were you hoping for $1500, as rumored a while back? This pricing makes it seem as if they still want to be able to have a $1500-1700ish DX Camera with pro AF, the theoretical D400 a lot of people are waiting for.

The rugged build quality with weather sealing of the pro cameras is becoming more and more appealing to me.

It's definitely nice to have, if you end up in situations that might otherwise kill a camera. I've shot in a downpour with a D700 (and pro-grade Nikkor) with no covers, and never had an issue. I've taken them out to some extremely rugged places, and had a few slip-ups along with way, but never got more than a scratch in the paint. Their top-grade cameras are definitely built to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. It doesn't look liek the D600 is quite that robust, but it should do pretty well (unlike edwood's D80, which has a large gaffer-taped hole in the bottom after taking a fall, though it still shoots fine).