The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

i haven't liked the high-iso shots i've seen with the D800. the noise with the tighter grain is disconcerting, to my eyes. i wish they would release a version that can't do video, and make it cheaper. i couldn't care less about video on a DSLR.

Fair enough, I suppose. I agree that Nikon should release a videoless "throwback" style camera, in the vein of the Fuji X100, the digital FM2n/FM3A that many people seem to want. I think that would be pretty darn cool indeed, though I have no need for one myself.

I'm astonished at how much more "real" the high-ISO shots from the D800 feel to me, compared to those from the D700. I think it is as muc to do with the better dynamic range and color depth at those ISO's as it does the nature of the noise. D700 ISO6400+ shots look a bit harsh and gritty, relative to the D800's smoother presentation. Granted, I am not a JPEG shooter, so these impressions come only from my use of both camera's RAW files through ACR. I have certainly seen some high-ISO D800 samples around the web that I didn't care for, but my impression of using the camera is completely different.

Yep, and time to go get hands-on with them. My big mitts have always preferred the feel of the bigger bodies, so it's entirely possible the D600 might just feel smaller than I'd prefer (as a DSLR I'd shoot with all day, anyway).

I'll be excited to see what the new 24mp chip is capable of producing. If the past is any indication, Nikon will clobber Sony in the A/D and signal processing departments, so the D600 will end up with the best raw image quality of all three cameras that this new chip is going into (of course the A99 has the light loss from the pellicle mirror). If they are really on their game, there's a good chance the D600 downsampled to 12MP might produce cleaner files than the D3s.

That said, as demanding as the D800 can be, I'm still blown away by it, every time I use the camera. The sensor performance in every regard is just amazing, and the AF improvements from the D700 are quite tangible. I'm a very happy camper with the D800.

Edited by Iron_Dreamer

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/2012/cushman/

Story (with audio slideshow) of a guy who took 14,000 color pictures from the late 30s through the early 60s. It looks like there are a lot of shots of the Golden Gate Bridge, various people pix, one I liked with horse and buggy vs guy on tractor. I'd say it's worth the 10-15 minutes to go through the slideshow. I watched it with Zoe (my 9 year old daughter) and she seemed rather interested.

**BRENT**

Well, regardless of a few of the issues with the 6D (lame AF specs and non 100% viewfinder stand out), there are a few things worth applauding. Built-in GPS (if it works well when on, and can be turned off to save power when not needed) is a nice feature to have.

But the ability to control the camera through wifi from an Android or iOS device is the big one. I'd love to have live-view and a programmable settings control/shutter release interface directly on the screen of my Galaxy Nexus. That would be superb for tripod-based shooting!

Also, I have to applaud Canon for getting the weight down even lower than the D600. Odds are, the sacrificed a bit more ruggedness than the D600, in order to do so, but it's great to have a ligher full-frame possibilty for those who can use it. I'd rather carry the heavier camera out in the wilderness, and know it will always work, than a lighter camera more likely to be effected by shock, water, or dust. But many outdoor photog's don't agree, and always want to go as light as possible.