The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

What do you guys think about a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for an everyday lens for the Nikon D90? If I upgrade my camera, it will be to another DX lens. Just can't justify the heavier full frame and pricier lenses. Right now I have the Nikon 18-200 Vrii, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 (micro), and Nikon 40mm f/2.8 (micro). I may sell the Nikon 40mm but if I get this, maybe.

What do you guys think about a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for an everyday lens for the Nikon D90? If I upgrade my camera, it will be to another DX lens. Just can't justify the heavier full frame and pricier lenses. Right now I have the Nikon 18-200 Vrii, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 (micro), and Nikon 40mm f/2.8 (micro). I may sell the Nikon 40mm but if I get this, maybe.

It's generally considered the best current option for a fast normal zoom on a Nikon DX camera. The Nikon 17-55 is big, heavy, and doesn't have VR. The Tamron 17-50 VC has worse corner quality, slower AF, and lower build quality. The Tamron 17-50 non-VC is a good option if you can find an older one without a built-in-motor.

If I were using a DX camera the kit I'd want is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (or the Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6 if you don't need filters or fast aperture), the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, and either a Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 or Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 II. Add a macro lens, f/1.4 prime, or long telephoto as needed.

Why anything other than the 18-200? I've been using that as my everyday lens for 3 or 4 years now.

Mainly for a faster lens but still with some zoom capability. I have been using the 35mm or 40mm lately but would like a bit more flexibility. If I am shooting mostly outdoors and at a lot of different distances and I don't want to have a lot of lenses (like when I go on vacation), I usually take the 18-200.

Thanks for your comments about the various fast-ish zoom lenses Peter, that is quite useful.

Edited by shellylh

My wife Lauren did the Warrior Dash with her twin sister Elise and Elise's boyfriend, Eric. It was a 5k with 10 obstacles, including mud with barbed wire, climbing walls and fire!

I was on pup duty and was the official family photographer. I used Lauren's D700 with the 50mm f1.4D and was pretty happy with the results. Of course, these are also with her touch in Lightroom, which is good 'cause they were a little over exposed.

WarriorDash-063_zpse141cec8.jpg

WarriorDash-085_zpsa3957ef4.jpg

WarriorDash-088_zpsfa5befde.jpg

It looked like so much fun that I'll have to join them and run it next year!