The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I'd tend to agree with that, unless you need the higher frame rate of the D7100, especially in crop mode, or the higher pixel density for long lenses, or want the sharpest files with the least work (due to no AA-filter) but don't mind a little moire.  The D600 will definitely be somewhat superior in most aspects of image quality, but the bigger, heavier, more expensive FX lenses will also come into play.  If you're a high ISO junkie, the D600 is a no-brainer.

I'm still wondering if they put out a higher-end DX camera.  I think they should.  Something with D800-level build quality, and 8-10FPS with a nice large buffer. I'm sure some wildlife guys would go bonkers for say 12FPS on an effective 2x crop (from full-frame).  Or have the officially ceded that market to Canon?

^ Unless things have changed drastically in the past year, generally in the same ballpark for most of them.  Each one has few lenses that other doesn't have, so if you need lenses from one that other doesn't offer, the choice is made for you.  

On a related note, my understanding is that currently generation FF Nikons have better sensors (made by Sony) than current generation FF Canons.

Edited by Salt Peanuts
  • Like 1

These articles are very helpful if you're deciding to buy a camera system. He made a very logical choice on Canon even though he knows that Canon sensors are not up to Nikon/Sony performance.

I always like his articles/blogs because he is in a unique position to test many copies of the same lens and extensive experience with service centre of different manufacturer.

Roger Buys a Camera System: Screening for Candidates

Roger Buys a Camera System: So What’s This Going to Cost?

Roger Buys a Camera System: Refining My Choices

Roger Buys a Camera System: Finally

Edited by Cankin

^ I saw those, too.  While I've never have had to send anything camera related for a service/repair, their recent experience with Nikon is bit worrisome to read.  Still, if I were going back for a dSLR, D600 would be really hard to resist - after using D700 and 5D2, I much preferred the ergonomics of D700.

^^ I'll confess that I didn't read those articles but I'll share my one piece of advice - consider getting what your shooting buddies have, so you can share lenses, etc. I bought into Nikon, and I love it, but all my buddies ended up with Canons, so I was never able to share stuff.

• Like 2

I don't think I'll be ditching my E-M5 and going back to DSLR anytime soon - IBIS and touchscreen focus/shooting will be too hard to lose for my use, not to mention the weight difference for my tendinitic wrists (the initial driving force on the move to m43 rig). Unless, of course, CaNikon incorporates those features and magically reduces the weight of their equipment (or cures my tendinitis). I still really miss 35L and 105DC, though.

I sold my E-PL5 and went back to DSLR. I was deciding between Canon and Nikon as I had both D7000 and 7D before m4/3. I finally bought D7000 because I like the ergonomics.

All my buddies use Canon too, so we share tripod lol.

I've been tossing up buying something mirrorless and smaller than my D7000.

Can I ask what pushed you back to DSLRs?

The main advantage of mirrorless is the size, they are pocketable if you use pancake lens, but once you put a larger lens on, they lost the advantage of being small. The combo feels very front heavy unless the camera has a large grip like Panasonic GH series and they're not pocketable just like DSLR even though they're lighter.

DSLRs currently have more reasonably priced decent prime lenses and ultra wide zoom is another factor for me to go back DSLR.

Personally, I never saw m43 as a pocketable solution, unless you were going to stick with pancake lenses (3 that exists - Panny 14/2.5, 20/1.7, and Oly 17/2.8 ).  Even then, one would need a fairly large pocket/jacket to carry it.  My main aim was reduction in weight and size without sacrificing too much on the IQ, which it accomplished really well IME.

I agree on the prime lens/ultra-wide zoom pricing, with couple of exceptions (14/2.5 and 45/1.8 ), good/great primes on m43 are pricey.  The two ultra-wide zooms will set you back 700 or 900 before tax/shipping.  I was really hoping for Sigma to introduce fast primes, but they inexplicably decided to just update their 2.8 primes.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

On the other hand, there are advantages of mirrorless over DSLR other than size.

Autofocus during video on mirrorless is better, EVF let you preview white balance and exposure, and peaking mode for focusing manual lens on Sony Nex.

Large amount of high quality M42 lenses are available on used market and can be adopted easily on mirrorless because of the small flange distance.

Looks like Nikon finally admitted to the D600 sensor dust/oil spot issue.  Better late than never..

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18180

Doesn't read like they admitted anything. It sounds almost identical to their original position which was that it's normal and to self-clean with a blower; failing that take it to a service center.

Doesn't read like they admitted anything. It sounds almost identical to their original position which was that it's normal and to self-clean with a blower; failing that take it to a service center.

Exactly.

Nikon -> Customer = :chair:

At this point, I'm just hoping my gear keeps working right.  I have no desire whatsoever to deal with Nikon service at this point.  Being that their attitude to their customers continues to get worse and worse, I'd have an uphill climb to convince myself to spend any more money with them.  I just wish someone in Japan would start associating the widespread complaints about their QC and customer service with all the sales its' likely costing them, and figure out that this isn't the path to higher profitability.

While I have not had to use Nikon service, I definitely miss Canon CPS that would do just about anything you needed quickly and free.

I think my Nikon gear will soon be on the block as I am very much interested in jumping ship back to the Canon side.  I like Nikon ergonomics better but that is about it.

• Like 1

The Canon Holy Trinity are primes; 35 f1.4L, 50 f1.2L and 85 f1.2L.  I have had the Nikon equivalents 35 f1.4L and 84 f1.4 and there is no comparison.  The Canon blows the Nikon 85 away and I think the Canon 35 is a bit better than my Nikon 35.  Canon has nothing really like the 14-24 but I find I never bother using that lens so it doesn't mean much to me.  I also thought my Canon 70-200 f2.8L mkII was hugely better than my Nikon equivalent.

Shot my D200 for the first time in probably 16 months over the last two days and got some incredible (for me) flight and nature shots. Felt good to get some photography in. Will try and post later.

Thinking of sending my body in for a factory level cleaning (something in the focus screen etc). I hope it's not too bad an experience.