The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I am looking to get a super zoom for my parents for an upcoming Alaska trip.  It would appear the Panasonic FZ200 might be the best choice at the moment.  Anyone here have any experience with this one or recommend a different super zoom that you have used?

Looks interesting.  I still prefer the constant 2.8 lens on the Panasonic but probably not mandatory at full zoom.

A few more from last weekend in Chattanooga.

I call this one Empanadas with Big Headed Mexican and Nerd Phone

i-VWwTxtx-X2.jpg

chat10-X2.jpg

chat14-X2.jpg

chat13-X2.jpg

chat3-X2.jpg

Anyone use TT Urban Disguise 50 v2? Looking for something that can carry my MBP and dslr well.

I have the 35 and love it (except for the fact that it is a shoulder bag). I use the Tom Bihn absolute strap with it though which makes it a much easier carry. I ordered the 50 but sent it back as it was just too big for someone my size (5'2").

I believe Dinny has the 40 which is more similar to the 50.

Edited by shellylh

So, Lauren is looking at picking up a new lens. She's rented the Nikon 24-70 2.8 a few times and loves it. Unfortunately upwards of $2,000 isn't in the cards right now. So she's looking at other options, including the Nikon 24-85 2.8-4 ($670), Sigma 24-70 2.8 ($825) and the Tamron 28-75 2.8 ($500). It seems like all three have benefits and drawbacks, so it's hard to tell what would be the best option.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of the three? Thanks!

It's more than the 3 lenses you listed, but how about Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC ($1300)?  Supposed to be just as good as Nikon 24-70, and it comes with a lens stabilization.  It does show up on FM every now and then for ~$950.

And the Tamron can be bought brand new from authorized U.S. dealer for $1099 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-SP-24-70mm-f-2-8-DI-VC-USD-Lens-4-Nikon-SUPER-DEAL-/140997156780?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20d415dfac

A nice review of Tamron vs. Sigma vs. Canon version 24-70 II here:

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2013/equipment-reviews/lens-comparison-canon-ef-24-70-f2-8l-ii-vs-tamron-24-70-f2-8-vc/

Thanks for the input. 

At this point, she's comfortable up to about $800, and if it's more than that, she'll save up for the Nikon 24-70 2.8 which she knows she loves.  And if she has to rent a few more times between now and when she can pull the trigger, than she's comfortable with that.  It was more if anyone had experience with the lower priced ones and if they'd be adequate stop-gap measures until she could swing the higher priced glass.

One thing to mention - renting Nikon 24-70 few more times will push it well above the cost of Tamron 24-70 VC from cameraland (taking into account the $800 you mentioned). Renting pricey lenses isn't cheap - one of the reasons I don't like renting pricey lenses I intend on buying more than once or twice since renting just eats into the budget for purchasing.

Bit off topic - do you know from whom Lauren rents lenses?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

That was a discussion we were having last night... Trying to find that balance between renting and buying.  At $1,900 for the Nikon 24-70, renting a few times has made a lot of sense, both due to the high cost and to get an opportunity to play with it to see if she really wants it.  She's used it for a maternity shoot, a newborn shoot and a wedding and loves it.

IIRC she pays around $40 for a weekend through Glass and Gear and picks them up at Hunt's, which seems pretty reasonable.  She can pick it up at the Manchester, NH store with no shipping charges, and I think it's another $10-15 if she wanted to pick them up in South Portland, ME.  Both are about the same distance from us, so in the past we've made a quick run to Manchester on Friday after work.  For the wedding she shot a few weeks ago she rented almost $4,000 worth of glass for $80.  Tough to beat!

The lens is a business investment is it not?  I seem to recall that she was shooting weddings now so I would typically vote go for the best if not for actual image quality then for the "image" prospective clients are looking for.  I am admittedly a snob but I would look at the gear of someone wanting to shoot my wedding and would prefer to see Nikon over Tamron or whatever (actually I would prefer to see Canon but that is another conversation).

The Sigma 24-70 is not bad for the money but tends to have a bit of a color shift with the few pictures I have taken with a loaner.  Not as accurate as the Nikon, in my opinion.

I am always the type that has to buy the best as I will dump a runner up almost  immediately because I know there is something better out there.

Edited by VPI