The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

I've switched to Fuji X-E1 and I'm loving it with a few caveats.  The focus is not quite fast enough for any candid portraits.  However, the color is just spectacular.  The Fuji's JPEGs have much better color than anything I can try to replicate with my 7d's RAW files in lightroom, no matter what I try.

I have the 18-55mm and 35mm f/1.4 and they are spectacular optically and have great build quality.

I've switched to Fuji X-E1 and I'm loving it with a few caveats.  The focus is not quite fast enough for any candid portraits. 

I really can't stand EVF's, even the supposedly good Sony NEX ones, which are reportedly better than Fuji EVF's.  How do you like the Fuji EVF vs Fuji LCD for AF speed?  Since I'm not an EVF person, I'm thinking Fuji X-M1 is more up my alley, as it's cheaper and smaller than X-E1 with same sensor.

I rarely use the LCD.  Since they're the identical image, though, the AF speed should be identical shouldn't it?

The X-M1 is great.  The only thing you might miss is the dedicated shutter speed dial.  Since I got the X-E1, I hardly ever shoot in anything but manual.  It makes for a more natural experience.  With the mode dial, I really have to think about which mode I want to be in.  With two separate dials for aperture and shutter speed, I just naturally adjust to which one I prioritize (DOF or shutter speed), I don't really have to consciously think about it.

If you shoot macro, landscape, and session portraits, the Fuji works wonders.  Action and candids, not so much, unless you are quick with MF.

Given how utterly lousy the conditions were, such as low light inside and a very strong rear light out and being too far for a flash to be workable, I managed to get a few decent shots at the local marine world today. Fish are JPEG basic off the camera, in "vivid" mode. Dolphins are half from the RAW.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/currawong1/sets/72157634979382257/

Also, having got the shits with the stock strap, using some spare key rings I put my spare Absolute Strap on the D800. It was VERY comfortable to carry around after that!

Edit: Ooer, auto-flickr slideshow! 

Edited by Currawong

Went out as far as I reasonably could last night, trying to catch a glimpse of the Perseids, and while we did see some nice activity, despite liberal intervalometer usage, I wasn't able to capture any of it in photos.

However, I did come away with this fun play on light pollution, after the moon had set:

Artificial Sunrise

p1672169027-5.jpg

9522255076_cdd8059ede_z.jpg
EOSD4447 by drjlo1, on Flickr

Finally got some Rogue Flashbenders and diffusion panels. I was happy to see the pseudo-softbox gave off a pretty even light across the panel without big hot spots, and these are definitely much easier to carry around than other "portable" softboxes I have. With the small Canon 90EX flash acting as master, the Rogue makes a softened two-speedlite portable light setup much more convenient.

*Edit*

Using the two-light setup above.  I believe I have found my portable two-light solution.

9536183014_e909ccf379_z.jpg
EOSD4489 by drjlo1, on Flickr
Edited by Jon L