The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Thanks.  75% of the craft breweries at the event were all from Charlottesville area.  Evidently RT 151 or something is stacked with good craft brewers including the GABF best small brewery several years running.  Time for a HeadAmp beer and Mountain Biking Meet I think.

I posted some months back seeking people's opinions about selling my DX outfit for micro 4/3's gear.

I've ended up with an Olympus OMD em5 and most of the fast primes.  So far, no regrets.

Some shots from Saturday's charity zombie walk.  All with the Olympus 45 f1.8 from memory:

10223609073_42de575045_c.jpg

10223269266_97e86c05b8_c.jpg

10223294176_d335171963_c.jpg

• Like 1

There will be a new FF A mount to E mount adapter and some new Zeiss branded prime and zoom.

New FE lenses:
Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS
Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS
Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8
Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8
Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS (coming early 2014)
many more lenses coming the next 12 months (including fast primes).

^ So they have precisely 1 fast prime and no fast zoom actually planned.  You'd think they'd at least have one exciting lens to go along with its release.  It looks like Sony is going to repeat what they've done with NEX system as far as lenses are concerned.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I think it is indeed a revolutionary product, there are a lot of legacy glass out there crying not to collect dust and fungus in the basement but to be used on something like this.

I've already started collecting a few of them before the prices go even higher, the body can wait for a while I think.

Only tried the Zuiko 100/2 so far which is not particularly small or cheap, but even on the 5N the colour, contrast and sharpness is superior to the Sony lens I've tried it is just difficult to use at 150mm and I don't have the EVF either (there is just not much point in buying it now). Wide angles are much easier to use those DOF markings are going to make sense now.

Canon bodies are very good with many legacy glass as well (like this particular Zuiko) but with the more flexible mount and full-time live-view focusing this is just better suited to this.

Sigma and Rokinon can still jump in as a 3rd party AF lens manufacturers and I think it will happen, just not now. And there will be Sony lens as well but probably the same so-so quality like it is now.

DSLR is still going to be the weapon of choice for many things and yes there are endless choice of lenses but I like the FF mirrorless idea.

There will be a new FF A mount to E mount adapter and some new Zeiss branded prime and zoom.

New FE lenses:

Zeiss FE 24-70mm f/4.0 OSS

Sony G 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS

Zeiss FE 35mm f/2.8

Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8

Zeiss FE 70-200mm f/4.0 OSS (coming early 2014)

many more lenses coming the next 12 months (including fast primes).

Precisely ONE lens interests me out of that whole group, which is the 55mm f/1.8.

35 f/2.8? 24-70 f/4? Meh to the Moar power.

Edited by Jon L

lots of elements combined with a relatively small sensor patch, would be my guess.

Along with $1300 price tag and a weight of 1.8 pounds. And as Reks said, the sensor is small - ~1/8 the size of full frame sensors and ~1/3 the size of APS-C sensors. In terms of depth of field, I think it's close to f/8 in full frame, assuming I have numbers right.

Some nice FF E-mount lenses from Samyang

• Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC
  • Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS IF UMC
  • Samyang T-S 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC
  • Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC
  • Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AS IF UMC

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/16/samyang-announces-five-full-frame-e-mount-lenses?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's an E mount, can't you use pretty much any Canon, Nikon, or what have you lens with an adapter on it? I would think that the advantage of this is the same as the Nex - infinite lens compatibility - except that this time, you don't have a crop factor to deal with.

Either way, unless I'm very much mistaken, I'll get this and use all my existing Canon lenses with it, plus the nice array of vintage lenses we've been slowly building up. The plan is to compare it against the 5d Mk3 and see what I can live with, and keep what wins... or both.

Edited by catscratch

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's an E mount, can't you use pretty much any Canon, Nikon, or what have you lens with an adapter on it?

There's already a review of Sony A7 and A7r from Camerastore. At about 11:30 into the video, the guy is seen shooting Canon L glass using Metabones adapter WITH autofocus intact! Now I'm excited, as I can see using my 85L on that 36 MP D800E sensor!

Yeah that's why I'm looking forward to it too. Though thinking twice about it and setting the new toy itch aside for a second - when you're dealing with 36mp, no aa, and a ff sensor, those vintage primes will probably start to show their age, especially in the corners. And having recently done some field comparisons between the Mk3 and D800e, I'm not sure that it's a night and day difference in the final image. Now, I think the D800e has a thinner aa filter instead of no aa filter, and it's an upgraded version of the sensor - but I also can't shake the thought that the smart money may be to stick with what I've got and get more fast glass instead.

Regardless - Sony is keeping the market interesting. Canon sure isn't. I can't want to know more.

Regardless - Sony is keeping the market interesting. Canon sure isn't. I can't want to know more.

Sad but true.

Samyang already announced they will make FE mount versions of their popular MF lenses.

I'm hoping Sigma announces FE mount versions of their ART series lenses.  Now THAT would seal the deal, as I don't like those Zeiss FE lens prices at all..

If it is as good as the Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 that they are mentioning then it is competitively priced.

But to be honest, that was developed with one purpose in mind: to be sharp and very usable wide open (next to no coma for light sources at night) and nowadays high ISO performance and built-in IS etc. compensates this rather well.

Edited by padam