The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

The d800 is fantastic. I am starting to like the sigma a lot more. In low light it is tack sharp whereas the 135 is very soft and suffers from a huge amount of CA wide open. At times the eyes just turn out to be blobs which is not good for a portrait lens. But I think I might have a less than desirable copy. I will repeat the tests once I have a tripod to rule out user error.

The d800 is fantastic. I am starting to like the sigma a lot more. In low light it is tack sharp whereas the 135 is very soft and suffers from a huge amount of CA wide open. At times the eyes just turn out to be blobs which is not good for a portrait lens. But I think I might have a less than desirable copy. I will repeat the tests once I have a tripod to rule out user error.

DOF wide open is also thin enough that you can not focus a persons eyes, tip of nose, and ears wide open. 

Does it do the weird CA thing at all DC settings? 

Didn't know where to post this... so might as well do it here. My digital camera threw me for a loop today. It has passed 10000 photos taken and reset the naming from DSC09999 back to DSC00001. So the pictures I took at last nights party were no where to be seen since Windows organizes pictures by file name. So they were somewhere in the middle instead of at the end. Around 10 minutes later of trying old tricks like view hidden files, etc and I realized what had happened. I think it is time to retire this old war bird :laugh:

Deepak, I am not sure if you have a Nikon or Canon 1D series DSLR, so this advice might come as limited use, but I'll say it anyway.

I had the same exact problem as you with my D300 and the counter looped over right in the middle of my France trip, and I knew nothing about it until I got home, transferred the files over, and went "where the hell are all the other files?"  Because of the way I stored my files according to camera model and large trips, I was in a huge bind.  I did a lot of research to find a solution, and I found a perfect program that I use every time I transfer pictures to my computer now.

The program is called Downloader Pro.  

It is totally customizable in that you can take EXIF data and use it to create a file name however you want.  For example, my file names are formatted like "2008-11-19 - NIKON D300 - 000009".  What you might find useful is that you can tag your files based on the counter in your camera to the hundred thousands column.  I now have files that are past 15,000 in their naming scheme, so even if I combine every single shot I have ever taken into one folder, there will be absolutely no overwrite dialogue or worries about having the wrong chronological order, because all of the info is in the file name now.

The reason why I asked if you had a Nikon or Canon DSLR is there is an r86 function that uses the actual counter in the camera, and I am not sure how it would work with another camera brand or type.  The program works with all cameras, but I have not had a looping problem with any other camera, as I pretty much shoot with my D300 now.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  At the very least, the automated file name scheme kicks ass.

I think windows is the problem there doc. These things don't happen on a Mac. :)

Whatever OS I would run I'd have folders set to organize by file name, I think I would go mad with anything else. It's the camera itself that looped over and started with the new numbering of file names.

rtn I appreciate the advice, I'll look into it. This was an old Sony P&S, oof marone a 1D... I can't spend that kinda money on anything other than audio gear :)

Use Picasa? Import to Folder by Date Taken (YYYY-MM-DD) , then no problem unless you take more than 10,000 photo's in a day :)

Then there is some logical segmentation to the physical pool(s) of photo's

You don't keep all you audio files in one folder do you? :)

I was viewing the files directly off the camera via USB. I have an organization system once I copy them over. I am lazy and generally don't delete files off the camera until it tells me the memory card is getting full, if I was deleting stuff as I copied them to my computer I wouldn't have encountered this. It's really a moot issue, I just shared my story since I thought it was sort of funny because like rtn I would not have been happy about these pics not "being there". Also I can't remember the last time I did the view all files trick (maybe Windows 2000 days?) which was also :) moment.