The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

It has spoilt me. Nothing comes close in sharpness. Even at f1.4 it is disgustingly sharp. I got the nikkor 85/1.8 for a longer focal length and typically the focal length has the sharpest lenses but I have to stop it down to f4 to get anything usable which to me is a waste of money. I'm sending it back for a replacement to see if maybe I just got a bad copy but if the second one is poor as well I will likely wait for the sigma art version of 85mm. What I really want is their 135/1.8 so might just wait for that. I tried the 135/2 dc from nikon but wide open it was very soft without any dc.

Panoramic Ball, anyone? :  http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/panono-panoramic-ball-camera

I prefer to take my own (and no matter how convenient they are, I would not be caught dead taking pictures with a smartphone style camera anywhere I want to remember), but the idea is pretty cool.  Just not $500 bucks cool.  Those are some rather homely looking sample photos.

I am sure it will be great optically (potential AF issues with the thin DOF), but it is neither going to be cheap nor being small and light, which is what a 50 should be - at least for my uses.

I recently got an APO Lanthar 180mm which has the same weight but smaller than this :)

I still haven't upgraded to a proper NEX with a viewfinder on it, so it is challenging to use (plus the focus turns the wrong way round which is very annoying, damn you Nikon!) but sharp as heck.

DSC00604a_zps03b0a83d.jpg

I am sure it will be great optically (potential AF issues with the thin DOF), but it is neither going to be cheap nor being small and light, which is what a 50 should be - at least for my uses.

I recently got an APO Lanthar 180mm which has the same weight but smaller than this :)

I still haven't upgraded to a proper NEX with a viewfinder on it, so it is challenging to use (plus the focus turns the wrong way round which is very annoying, damn you Nikon!) but sharp as heck.

The new Sigma 50/1.4 is actually bit lighter than their previous 50/1.4, though it is bit longer.  I'm guessing the pricing will stay the same ($500), which is in the same range as Nikon 50/1.4, though decent chunk more pricey than Canon 50/1.4, at least until Canon introduces 50/1.4 IS.

Speaking of 180mm, Nikon 180/2.8D is the next lens I want to try/get.

The new Sigma 50/1.4 is actually bit lighter than their previous 50/1.4, though it is bit longer.  I'm guessing the pricing will stay the same ($500), which is in the same range as Nikon 50/1.4, though decent chunk more pricey than Canon 50/1.4, at least until Canon introduces 50/1.4 IS.

Speaking of 180mm, Nikon 180/2.8D is the next lens I want to try/get.

There are much more elements and also more exotic glass in the new one so I think it will be more expensive to manufacture so close to the 35/1.4 in price. Like most of the brands in the car industry, they are trying to go more upmarket.

The best performing m43 lens the 75/1.8 is also designed by Sigma but it ain't no bargain.

Edited by padam

I've got both as well and I prefer BlackRapid for one reason - their sliding locking buckles.  BlackRapid has locking buckles on the strap that prevents camera from sliding up/down the strap - this comes in handy when you need to bend over with both hands free (something I often have to when I'm chasing around my daughter while carrying my camera).  One thing to note is I have one of their Sport models with an underarm strap so I don't have a problem with the shoulder strap not staying in place.

I still prefer just using a wrist strap, though, and generally avoids using shoulder straps/slings altogether if I can help it.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I gotta reply to like a zilion PMs sorry. 

Can you not just offload via USB? It may be slower, but it'd be faster than waiting on a new reader, no?

**BRENT**

Since even the great and wise company Nikon has to do one stupid thing in their existence the D700 will not upload from the camera*.

The L-plate will also need to be loosened to slide over and access the port. Less of an issue, but still. 

* It MAY work with proprietary Nikon software, but has never worked in Linux. The D200/300 both said "durrrr, I'm just an external hard drive" and hook up to anything perfectly. Because nobody ever leaves their CF card reader home.... Fuckers.