The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Hmm...photography isn't art...?

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/dec/10/most-expensive-photograph-ever-hackneyed-tasteless

Although I must admit that while Lik's work is fantastic, I don't see how that image goes for 6.5MM. That being said, I don't see the value in most of the 5 most expensive photographs ever sold. They seem, kinda lame, IMO. 

http://shutyouraperture.com/the-top-5-most-expensive-photographs-ever-sold/#.VIkpoIvjP6s

#4 is the only one that has impact on me. Slightly like #6 but really don't see what is so special about #2. Seems like anyone with a phone could take that image. #3 looks like a shitty instagram filter was used. 

Edited by crappyjones123

Not sure which is stranger - that it's "not art" or the phrase "photography has finally arrived as art."

Fortunately a listing of Jonathan Jones other articles at the end of this one indicates how much weight you should give him.

Edited by blessingx

dp2 quattro showed up a couple days ago, but unpacked tonight. Didn't want to take a new camera out in the rain, but two test shots from the garage. Both iso100 & f/16. These are unfortunately not full resolution. Anyone have a recommendation for an account that allows such?

RXSO7Rw.jpg

4Bt6xcD.jpg

Edited by blessingx

• 2 weeks later...

The sigma art series lenses are fantastic. I sold the 35 in favor of the 50 as the 35 had a little too much perspective distortion for what I was shooting. I haven't shot the sigma 24-70 but did rent the 24-70 for an event. Worked great. 

Rokinon is hopefully coming out with a 135mm lens... https://www.facebook.com/RokinonLenses/photos/a.177689185610341.38264.177519142294012/827637633948823/?type=1&theater

I love my D800 and wouldn't trade it for anything but a surprising amount of people on FM traded their D800s for the new D750. 250g lighter, more manageable resolution (24mp), more FPS (6.5 vs 4) although you do lose 1/8000s shutter speed with the D750. Might not matter unless you shoot wide open on sunny days. In terms of low light performance and dynamic range they are essentially the same. The image quality of the D800 eeks out slightly ahead but I doubt it is noticeable. It's amazing how fast the prices of the D800 have dropped - the D700 price decline was far gentler. 

Somewhat typical of the used price - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1335346/0?keyword=d800#12737991

However, I have seen them go for as little as $1250. Those bodies have more actuations though but the shutter is rated for 150k. Not much to worry about unless you are really going to put 120k actuations before you sell the body. 

If you can stand an EVIL camera, I would put a vote in for the Sony A7 with whichever sensor you think you would like the most.

I should note that the A7s is the likely successor to my D700, in the event it ever dies and nothing with moar-ISO is available by then. 

Edited by nikongod

I'd avoid Tamron 24-70 due to how its vc works.

Also, doesn't really affect actual use but the buttons/dials D800 feel much, much nicer than the ones on D600/610, at least the ones I've handled. Don't know about the ones on D750.

And frick, I still need to send you Tri-X. They're still sitting in my freezer.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I mistakenly forgot tamron before the rented lens. Never played with the sigma 24-70. I actually liked the vc very much. I was shooting on the top deck of a yacht in pitch dark and on a lower floor where the only light was the dj lighting. It's not going to be as sharp as a 35mm prime but it gave unexpectedly good results. I can post some images from the lens when I get home. Iirc I don't think the Nikon lens has any sort of image stabilization. I do remember the lens being super heavy. My hand hurt at the end of the night.

I actually walked into best buy wanting to buy the d600 but the d800 felt better in the hand and once I saw the dedicated iso button on the top left, I was instantly sold on the d800. Changing the iso without moving the camera from my eye is a breeze. I remember asking Peter a lot about the two cameras before I purchased it and what he said is correct. The d800 will force your technique to be good. After spending a couple of years with it I think I've gotten better but still not there yet and use fast glass to make up for my lack of good technique. I also have an essential tremor that I got diagnosed with recently so that doesn't help with shooting in low light but controlled breathing helps. Big advantage of the d800 is you can crop to your heart's content and still end up with a good image. A smaller sensor requires you to be more conscious of your composition while you shoot. In that sense I think the d800 favors amateurs like me where the d600 might not be as forgiving.

I am leaning towards the d800 unless you can play with a d750 locally and find it to be better in your hands.

Edited by crappyjones123