The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Stephen gandy of camera quest quoted me $110. Camera cost me $350...it's a Voigtlander r3a. Above all else it smells of cigarette smoke which is my making my throat close up so it's going back anyways. But the guy said it was functionally perfect and from a no smoking home...and he was the original owner. Something doesn't add up.

I just sold an R3A on ebay to a dude in South Korea!!  Not you, I hope.  

My R3A was okay, but didn't come any where close to the user enjoyability and build quality of my Leica M4 body.

I suggest you get a refund and stump up for a nice user M2, M3 or M4.  You'll need some form of a light meter or a sixth sense for guessing your exposure settings, but it's worth it imho.

I am considering an M6 as it does not require me to use a light meter. While the price of admission is higher in leicas they do hold their value much better so I guess I should be able to get what I pay for the camera. Certainly not the case for Voigtlander.

Why the hell is the actual patch in the middle of the rangefinder so damn small? Any reason why they can't make it a bit larger? Would help a boatload in focusing.

I am considering an M6 as it does not require me to use a light meter. While the price of admission is higher in leicas they do hold their value much better so I guess I should be able to get what I pay for the camera. Certainly not the case for Voigtlander.

Why the hell is the actual patch in the middle of the rangefinder so damn small? Any reason why they can't make it a bit larger? Would help a boatload in focusing.

You'll adapt!!

I use one of these on my M4 for exposure settings:

https://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet2.htm

Nothing wrong with an M6 either.  There are a few options in the bodies regarding viewfinder magnification and ttl metering, so do your research.

Black is sexier than chrome imho.