The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Gene, the RX100 has a very similar sensor technology to the primary camera, the D800. As such the same post-processing techniques produce similar results when both cameras are exposed to the right maximally without clipping the highlights.  The RX100 just ends up with more noise and less resolution at a given ISO. Of course the MkI has soft corners at wide, was decentered at telephoto, and generally needed to be stopped to f/5.6 for as close to optimal sharpness as was possible.

I had borrowed the RX100 for this trip, but am now seriously considering getting a Mk3 for the better lens, better IS, tilt screen, EVF and wifi. I just wish it had a filter thread and no auto lens cap. I used a magfilter solution for this trip, and the magnetic strip which attached to the lens with adhesive, was already coming off after a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Any LightRoom users out there may find this (LR Dashboard) interesting.  I was a bit leery at first, as it requires you to drag your LR catalog file into the site, but no harm or foul was done (I used a backup copy).  It gives you some very nice info and analysis of your photos over whatever length of history (1 to 12 years) you choose.  Things like how many photos per month, which lenses and bodies were used, focal lengths, ISO speeds, apertures, etc. were used so you get a real feel for what gear you use most.

Yesterday I got to play photographer's assistant/2nd shooter at a wedding Lauren was shooting. It was for someone we both knew, and it was a lot of fun. Got to shoot with both the 700 and the 750, with the Sigma 35mm and Nikon 50mm, 85mm and 24-70mm lenses. She rented the 24-70, and had thought that would be her next lens, but is leaning towards buying the 24mm Art instead.

• Like 1

Cool, good to know my old D700 is still out there doing good work!

The wedding I shot recently, I was able to get away with just using the Sigma 35 and Nikon 85 for pretty much the whole thing.  I can see how a 70-200 would be convenient if I were doing that sort of work a lot, though, as it would have cut down on some of the foot-zooming needed with the 85, albeit at the cost of weight and lack of  f/1.8.   There's just something about the look of those primes for low-DOF people shots!  I'll be excited to see if Sigma gets an 85 Art out at some point, as the 35 and 50 I've tried are both spectacular.

Yeah, the D700 is still going strong... She actually borrowed the D750 from a friend. But she's strongly considering adding one and keeping the 700 if she starts doing more weddings. And she's intrigued by adding video capabilities for her documentary sessions. And yeah... The 24 would round out the collection of primes, and she was thinking she would rent the 70-200 for a few weddings to see off she really wants it.

• 3 weeks later...