The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Julie trying to hang herself with Robyn's hair on New Year's eve. Not a fancy picture but especially dear to me because Robyn wasn't doing the infuriating duck face or fake smiling or whatever stupid crap teenagers do these days when taking a photo. That and I really liked the read background for some reason - the particular shade of red looked very pleasing to my eye. 

DSC_1556-Edit-Edit.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone here have experience with eye fi cards? 

I often take portraits for colleagues and so far my workflow has been the following. 

1. connect D800 to macbook air via stock usb cable. 

2. shoot tethered to lightroom so that whenever I take a shot it automatically gets imported into lightroom and pops up in my library. 

3. the subject can look through the 10 or so shots taken and pick the one their like/want me to edit. 

4. I make a note of the file name and then edit that one. 

I don't find myself using my macbook air all that much and it is too expensive a machine just for this purpose so I sold it. We are no long allowed to use laptops to take exams either as the school is transitioning to iPad testing. Future shelf exams will be on the iPad as well so I purchased one today. Now I'd like to be able to do the same as above with the iPad. I purchased the lightning - usb camera adapter cable from Apple which allows me to do the following. 

1. connect D800 to iPad via stock usb cable plugged into the adapter cable from Apple. 

2. manually select all the photos that I have taken. 

3. click on import at which point they show up in my photo album where I can look through them. 

The issue with this approach is that I can't find a way to get the file name of the image the subject selects. I can take a screen shot of it but given how there are very subtle changes in between shots it will be a nightmare to later find which one they chose.  

There is an additional step I can take at this stage to import the files just imported into light room's mobile app which will give me the file name of the shot they like. Just the previous set up alone with having to click stuff to get the files on the iPad is slowing me down enough and getting rid of the instant feedback I was getting on the laptop so I could adjust the lighting as needed or adjust the pose. 

Basically I want to take a shot and with a reasonable delay, have the image pop up on my iPad in some app with some way of marking the image whether it be my filename or highlighting or whatever that can be recovered when I get to my desktop to edit the files. Any ideas? 

14 minutes ago, crappyjones123 said:

Do you need waders to walk around or would water resistant boots be ok?

I wear water proof mid height hiking boots but the water can be as much as knee high on the trail so you get wet.  I've been doing it for a long time so doesn't bother me. It should be pretty dry out by now but we have not had much of a dry season.  If you ever want to go out there, let me know.  I would be happy to be your guide.

• Like 1

Perhaps after my next set of finals next week. I don't really have the appropriate footwear to get wet. The boots I do have are rather heavy to begin with and I have a feeling I am just going to be miserable walking around in them soaking wet. Freaking hate having such wide/flat feet. I've tried pretty much every brand out there and none of them seem to fit. Finally purchased a pair of red wing boots that are a little too wide. I don't know how much better that is than the shoes being too tight. 

• 2 weeks later...