The Official Head-Case Photography Thread.

Knuckledragger

Hey can I get a wallpaper size (1280x800) of this one. It looks fantastic!

*mutter* That's an uh... 16:10 aspect ratio, which is not exactly the same as the 3:2 native ratio of my camera. Meaning I'd have to crop the photo differently than I framed it. I just peeked at the original, and it seems sort-of possible. I'd have to trim some off the bottom of the frame. Get back to me in a couple days and I might have it done.

We haven't had a good snow here in Atlanta for at least a few years, until today. Too lazy to go out much, but took a few pics just outside my door. Wish I had a camera with a working autofocus in its body - my D40 kit lens's AF broke, so I've just been using an older (and better) 100-300 lens. Still, too many come out soft because I don't even have one of those split-viewfinders to aid in focusing. It's a lot easier taking pics of inanimate audio gear.

My gf being a good sport:

mulveling-albums-snow-pics-picture569-dsc-0690.jpg

mulveling-albums-snow-pics-picture572-dsc-0696.jpg

mulveling-albums-snow-pics-picture571-dsc-0697.jpg

View of Kennesaw Mountain from my VERY SLIPPERY roof (wind has picked up considerably by then)

mulveling-albums-snow-pics-picture575-dsc-0719-1.jpg

My gf being a good sport:

Number 2 is a great shot. Looks like you caught that one second where she was being herself rather than having her photo taken.

View of Kennesaw Mountain from my VERY SLIPPERY roof (wind has picked up considerably by then)

Sweet :)

• 2 weeks later...

2885651580_2d68e06fae_b.jpg

This here is some impressive strobist work. A quick peek at the exposure info explains a lot. 1 second exposure @ F/13, ISO400. That means the photographer had some wiggle room to trigger the gun and the strobe, yet didn't have to worry about ambient light making the pellet appear blurred. What I surmise he did was trigger the gun and strobe simultaneously, and had a digital delay actually fire the strobe X milliseconds later. Knowing the FPS of the pellet and how far it had to travel to pass the razor, it would be reasonably easy to compute. Getting a shot like this actually work is a whole nother matter. My hat's off to him.

2885651580_2d68e06fae_b.jpg

This here is some impressive strobist work. A quick peek at the exposure info explains a lot. 1 second exposure @ F/13, ISO400. That means the photographer had some wiggle room to trigger the gun and the strobe, yet didn't have to worry about ambient light making the pellet appear blurred. What I surmise he did was trigger the gun and strobe simultaneously, and had a digital delay actually fire the strobe X milliseconds later. Knowing the FPS of the pellet and how far it had to travel to pass the razor, it would be reasonably easy to compute. Getting a shot like this actually work is a whole nother matter. My hat's off to him.

I had a silly, but cool, little strobe photography project in high school. You can take a dedicated camera flash unit and hook up the trigger points on its foot to an SCR (Silicon Controlled Rectifier - Silicon-controlled rectifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Then hook up a microphone to trigger the SCR. Any loud noise past a certain threshold on the mic will trigger the flash. A clap, a pop, or certainly a gunshot will do. You can control the time delay of the strobe relative to the event by varying the distance of the microphone to the event source - the calculation is simple, given the speed of sound is 330 meters/s. Obviously, more sophisticated circuitry is required for longer delays, but this is very simple and works well enough in a large enough room - in fact it gives you a very fine time granularity.

For setup - the camera and the microphone each get their own tripod. Tripod for the flash is optional but recommended. You'll need to completely (or nearly so) darken the room (this part can be tricky - we used a darkroom). Set off a nice long shutter exposure (make sure you have a nice long exposure), trigger the event, and the flash will fire automatically. I think the typical dedicated camera flash will have a duration on the order of 1/10,000 to 1/20,000 of a second? Fast enough for some cool stuff.

In practice, one of the issues was that the darkroom was small enough that the slap echo would tend to trigger a SECOND unwanted strobe. Also, firing a gun in this room was not an option :(

Oh, Snap. Pentax recently showed off a demo of their long promised 645 medium format digital SLR

34qs7sh.jpg

345lumx.jpg

2r2qfqp.jpg

2mxk29v.jpg

35he45v.jpg

15zqazn.jpg

15qw58k.jpg

If this thing lives up to its promise (and that's a big "if") then it will vastly out perform anything offered by Canon, Nikon or Leica in terms of IQ. It stands a fair chance to best Hasselblad at their own game for a fraction of the price.

If this thing lives up to its promise (and that's a big "if") then it will vastly out perform anything offered by Canon, Nikon or Leica in terms of IQ.

What do you mean by that? I have yet to understand the Hasselblad mystique especially since you can get shots of the same quality from Nikon/Canon with a little Photoshop work. Hasselblad is just plain overpriced.