MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

According to MacRumors, it is a neutral time to buy a macbook. That said, with the release of Montevino last week, we can expect a macbook refresh relatively soon.

I'm not really looking for answers here, but more of opinions: should I just grab a penryn macbook? Is it really worth the wait?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest waiting until the new one is released, then decide between huge discount on old one, or the new one.

Do they really give that much of a discount on an old one?

I'm also of the opinion that I'd rather spend $200ish more to get a brand new one, than a refurb.

No matter when you get it, I suggest buying a refurb from Apple Store. I saved about 300$ that way and I couldn't have told the difference between my MacBook and a brand new one.

Right now, teh new price on Amazon for the blackbook is $100 more than the current refurb they have on the site. Even with an insider discount, its only $150 more. Well worth the added cost, IMO.

There is a rumor of a new product launch from apple soon. As in completely new product, not a spec bump. FWIW.

I know they are speaking of a Macbook Touch, which doesn't interest me at all.

Wreks: I realize these are indistinguishable, but I have had HORRIBLE luck with refurbs in the past (not necessarily apple), and for my piece of mind, $150 is well worth it.

One train of thought following Apple's recent results -- which sent all the analysts into conniptions because of lowered gross margin projections -- is that they are about to start aggressively cutting prices on their laptops to try and cement big market share gains in that segment. See below from one of the more reliable Street guys. If you can wait a few weeks, you may well save some money.

We believe Apple is readying new iPods and new portables that will apply downward margin pressure in the Sept. quarter and into FY09. We believe there is an 80% chance Apple will introduce redesigned MacBooks and possibly new MacBook Pros at lower price points. Specifically, Apple may re-enter the $999 price point (currently $1099)with the MacBook, or test the $1,799 price point with the MacBook Pro (currently $1999). In addition, we expect slightly redesigned iPods in the Sept. quarter, with lower-cost touch-based iPods for the holiday season. We believe Apple is getting slightly more aggressive with its pricing; but overall the company is not diverting from its strategy of premium pricing.

One train of thought following Apple's recent results -- which sent all the analysts into conniptions because of lowered gross margin projections -- is that they are about to start aggressively cutting prices on their laptops to try and cement big market share gains in that segment. See below from one of the more reliable Street guys. If you can wait a few weeks, you may well save some money.

I read the same. I'm waiting for the refresh and hopefully lower price to get one for my daughter. The rumor is aluminum enclosure.

I bought a new Finally. on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2632048408_d8ce521543.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2632048408@@AMEPARAM@@d8ce521543 just a few weeks ago. IIRC, the buyer's guide was neutral at that point as well. I was aware that waiting a month or two might net me a cheaper and/or faster machine, but TBH I'd already waiting eight fricken years for a Mac. Unless you're a serious power user, the current line of MB/MBPs are fine for most tasks. If you need a machine now then why continue to torture yourself with a wintel?

WRT refurbs, I concur with Recks. A friend of mine has an obscene amount of Apple gear, and he just got a refurb'd 30" ACD. It is indistinguishable from a new one, it saved him quite a bit. The only reason I did not get a refurb'd unit is that I have an .edu discount. At some point before the end of the year, I will be replacing my aging wintel desktop with a MacPro. Given the cost and performance level of those machines, it's well worth it to wait for the newest model/seek discounts. For the consumer level products like the MacBook, don't lose sleep over the product cycle.

If you need a machine now then why continue to torture yourself with a wintel?

I neither NEED one now, nor do I use Windows. In fact, that is the reason I am even considering a Mac: Lightroom. VMware for a winxp machine to use power photo tools just sucks. My only other option to use Lightroom and NOT use Windows, is Apple.

For the consumer level products like the MacBook, don't lose sleep over the product cycle.

While I would agree, for the case of waiting a month and getting something like a possible aluminum cae instead of the known to crack plastic, the wait would be worth it. Of course, this is all speculation at thise point. Based on the fact that I don't NEED the computer, I think it would be wise to wait. When the new one comes out, if I don't see the need to get the new one, the old one will still be there.

Of course, I'd love to just buy it right now >:D

another thing to do is buy one from best buy a day or two after the new ones come out...they discount them a couple hundred $ to get rid of them...that way you get a new one, you can get it in-person/store and save almost as much as a refurb you have to order online (does apple also charge shipping for refurb?)...

mjb

Do they really give that much of a discount on an old one?
No, not really that much. I was actually kind of disappointed at the difference in price between a refurb Mini and a new one -- the refurb was slightly older technology -- basically, the price could probably have been attributed to the difference in speeds of the processors and maybe memory and disk space and not much more.