MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

Last night my friend brought up a really good point IMO:

Right now on Amazon, there is about a $300 price difference between the Blackbook, and the 15" 2.4/220GB/2GB MacbookPro.

For $300 I would get:

+ Larger screen with better resolution

+ Aluminum Case

+ Dedicated Video Card

+ Dual-link (Full) DVI out

- 50GB less HD space

- heavier

- lower battery life

- less portable

I think for $300 it is a good idea, if just for the video card alone.

Anyone agree/disagree/in love with postjack?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the $300 also gets you:

heavier

lower battery life

less convenient portably

etc

I bought the macbook not because it was the cheapest, but because it was the smallest. Take the same $300 extra, and spend it on a 20" monitor, and bluetooth keyboard and mouse :)

the $300 also gets you:

heavier

lower battery life

less convenient portably

etc

I bought the macbook not because it was the cheapest, but because it was the smallest. Take the same $300 extra, and spend it on a 20" monitor, and bluetooth keyboard and mouse :)

I can understand that, but I don't feel I rank the portability very high in my list of wants. I mean, sure I'd like it a bit more portable than the 17" version, but the Macbook pro won't be much larger than my Lenovo, which is just fine for portability's sake.

If you look at it in pure financial terms, you will probably end up avoiding mac altogether. I've had many intentions of getting mac this and that, but always ended up getting something cheaper, though not necessarily better.

I think you need to ask yourself if you're willing to pay a little more in order to get Macintosh software and O.S. Because there are plenty of computers cheaper than any mac, and thats not likely to change.

All I know is, several computers later, and I still haven't kicked my itch for a mac.

if you look at it in pure financial terms, and discount stealing software, you may find you're coming out ahead buying a mac. The equation is even easier with the laptops, as the macbook and macbook pro can both be had for about the same price as lenovo and dell laptops in similar quality categories.

If you look at it in pure financial terms, you will probably end up avoiding mac altogether. I've had many intentions of getting mac this and that, but always ended up getting something cheaper, though not necessarily better.

I think you need to ask yourself if you're willing to pay a little more in order to get Macintosh software and O.S. Because there are plenty of computers cheaper than any mac, and thats not likely to change.

All I know is, several computers later, and I still haven't kicked my itch for a mac.

I already addressed this, Chris. :) I am willing to spend the gobs of extra money to avoid using Windows. Its that cut and dry. I will not use windows, and the only other way to use Lightroom is the MacOS. I have tried alternative programs, and nothing holds a candle, IMO.

I won't go into why I refuse to use windows, as this debate will just rage on. Its easiest to leave it at this: my preference is to never use windows. There is no talking me into it, the same way I do not force my own opinions about computing on others. Use what works for you :)

While is does cost a premium to use Mac products, I may as well give it a shot before I sit here and keep saying, "but mac is so expensive, for less money, you can get x better computer..."

I can afford the mac, so I'll give them a fair shot. If I find that it doesn't serve its price, then I won't buy another :)

Dan, I have a 19" Samsung, so I plan on using that with whichever one I decide on.

if you look at it in pure financial terms, and discount stealing software, you may find you're coming out ahead buying a mac. The equation is even easier with the laptops, as the macbook and macbook pro can both be had for about the same price as lenovo and dell laptops in similar quality categories.

No question, Apple has the edge in software. I never hear of people buying a mac and instantly wiping the hd clean to get rid of bloatware.

I guess I was really thinking about the tech side, but as it relates to price, i.e. what computer has the most ghz for the least $, or faster HD for less $, etc.

I just did the pricing yesterday, hardware for hardware, macbooks are competitively priced. They're not the "CHEAPEST" but they're competitive. And come with things that cost extra on other laptops, like 802.11n and firewire.

Then you figure in things like keyboard feel, and the macbook seems like a bargain.

Last night my friend brought up a really good point IMO:

Right now on Amazon, there is about a $300 price difference between the Blackbook, and the 15" 2.4/220GB/2GB MacbookPro.

For $300 I would get:

+ Larger screen with better resolution

+ Aluminum Case

+ Dedicated Video Card

+ Dual-link (Full) DVI out

- 50GB less HD space

- heavier

- lower battery life

- less portable

I think for $300 it is a good idea, if just for the video card alone.

Anyone agree/disagree/in love with postjack?

The thing I miss the most from my old MBP is the backlit keyboard. I often find myself working under bad lighting conditions, and this is one of the reasons I want to get me a Macbook Air as soon as I have money again, and because having a Macbook doesn't make me stand out at Starbucks anymore.

The MBP has slightly worse wifi reception than the MB. Faraday and all that.

I just did the pricing yesterday, hardware for hardware, macbooks are competitively priced. They're not the "CHEAPEST" but they're competitive. And come with things that cost extra on other laptops, like 802.11n and firewire.

Then you figure in things like keyboard feel, and the macbook seems like a bargain.

right.jpg

"He's right, do

you know that?"

Too late. I pulled the plug on a 2.4Ghz, 200GB, 2GB RAM Pro.

I also ordered 4GB or crucial ram, Adobe lightroom, and a belkin sleeve. Should arrive on Wednesday.

The current talk of the new price drop will be about $100. I pulled the whole package for 2000, including lightroom, ram and sleeve. I can't complain ;)

I also ordered 4GB or crucial ram, Adobe lightroom, and a belkin sleeve. Should arrive on Wednesday.

The current talk of the new price drop will be about $100. I pulled the whole package for 2000, including lightroom, ram and sleeve. I can't complain ;)

nice buy bud

Refurbished?

edit: never mind forgot that student discount gives you a decent chunk off msrp.

Congrats!!

Looking foward to buying a new one too. In september they are supposed to come out with a new "revolutionary" product, not sure if that concerns MB(P)s or something different.

The Montevino is supposed to be replaced by the Nehalem (tic-toc) around 2009 so maybe I'll wait for that one to come out first...20 to 50% speed increase while power demand is 10% less (depending on single thread or multi thread)...sounds pretty good.

Congrats!!

Looking foward to buying a new one too. In september they are supposed to come out with a new "revolutionary" product, not sure if that concerns MB(P)s or something different.

Rumor say sitll be a MacBook Touch: tablet without a keyboard.

The Montevino is supposed to be replaced by the Nehalem (tic-toc) around 2009 so maybe I'll wait for that one to come out first...20 to 50% speed increase while power demand is 10% less (depending on single thread or multi thread)...sounds pretty good.

I agree. Montevino doesn't tickle my fancy, but the 2009 platform should be a great improvement.

Right, that's why it's a moot point. Wasn't intended as any comment on your decision, just thought it was worth tacking on here since a few other people had expressed interest in the Macbook revision.

Ah gotcha.

Rumor say sitll be a MacBook Touch: tablet without a keyboard.

Yeah, heard about that too. Not looking foward to losing a real keyboard though..

I agree. Montevino doesn't tickle my fancy, but the 2009 platform should be a great improvement.

Yeah, i'm looking forward to that.. Just found out that there are already two successors of the Nehalem: Westmere & Sandy Bridge..it just goes too fast :o