MacHeads- Impending MacBook Purchase

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so it looks like I'll probably be picking up a MacBook shortly. I must admit that I'm torn between waiting 2+ months to see/I] if they do indeed update the line bust honestly, since I'm probably aiming for the bottom of the line the improvements won't matter all that much to me. Am I crazy?

Ok, so it looks like I'll probably be picking up a MacBook shortly. I must admit that I'm torn between waiting 2+ months to see/I] if they do indeed update the line bust honestly, since I'm probably aiming for the bottom of the line the improvements won't matter all that much to me. Am I crazy?

the new computer itch is a strong one, but I can't stop thinking: aluminum case vs. plastic case, or smooth and cool glass trackpad vs. whatever the trackpad is now. Not to mention surely refurb blackbook prices will drop $100-200 after whatever the announcement is?

Just what I'm thinking right now.

the new computer itch is a strong one, but I can't stop thinking: aluminum case vs. plastic case, or smooth and cool glass trackpad vs. whatever the trackpad is now. Not to mention surely refurb blackbook prices will drop $100-200 after whatever the announcement is?
Eh, I've got a Al notebook (powerbook) right now and also a plastic cased lappy, can't say the aluminum is a huge draw for me. Also, I'm not really sure that the refurbs will drop all that much. Apple seems to do a very good job with inventory management and they discounts are pretty deep already (~30%). In fact, I just looked and there's little motivation for me to get a refurb. My wife is a high school guidance counselor so I qualify for the education discount so I might as well get a free Ipod while I'm at it and give it to my sister who was nice enough to give me the Powerbook I have now.

The free ipod is only for college students, but if you order on line and pretend to be a college student they may do that for you

so does it count if I'm only taking say, one or two classes this fall? :) or do I have to be full time?

I have no interest in a new iPod but I certainly could sell it.

openoffice.org or neooffice?

Hmm interesting. I've never heard of neo-office and open office doesn't work on Leopard. They were / are working on it though (aqua-something) but hasn't been released yet. Neo seems to have mutliple features that both ms and open office don't have although the list is probably set up to make it look that way.

I'll definitely check it out though as the ms version I use is not legal anyways.

I'm with salty, I used openoffice for PC for a while and it was pretty crappy.

I exclusively use Openoffice, so I have no worries about the 'crap level'. I am just wondering whcih port I should be using. However, if Indra says OO wont work on Leopard, then I will have to use NeoOffice.

Just what I'm thinking right now.

Just buy the MBP >:D

The aluminum case is very, very nice. Glass trackpad has no appeal for me.

Just buy the MBP >:D
Ehhh, can't really. It's $300 to $500 more than I really want to spend on this which makes no sense since I already have a really nice 15" laptop (Sager). What really pisses me off is that they jack the price of the black Macbook for no good reason. The HD upgrade only accounts for $90 of the $200+ difference. :mad:

Also, does the Macbook have a Firewire 800 port? The new high-speed Firewire protocol due in a few months will allow up to 3.2Gbps over current 9-pin cables, so that's shortly going to be a very nice option to have if you move a lot of data around.

The Macbook does not have a Firewire 800 port. Those are for doo-doo heads!