1 Big Mac 540

3 Double Cheeseburgers 1320

1 Apple Pie 250

1 Sundae 330-- assuming you had hot fudge

1 Margarita 170

2 cups of coffee, no sugar 10

10 cups of water

1 lemonade (fresh squeezed) 100--assuming one cup and a little sugar

How many calories is that and why am I still alive?!

I suspect you had more than 2720 calories yesterday. There are 3500 calories per pound of body fat. In order to lose a pound, you need to cut 3500 calories or burn them by working out. Additionally, you had over 110 grams of fat or about 5 ounces nearly half a can of soda.

you should think about eating healthier and at minimum keep your daily calories under 2000, if not 1750.

I have lost about 60 pounds since Feb 08. That is since my four-way bypass surgery. I have been counting calories very closely. Lately I have needed to increase my exercise to move me off my spot that I have held at for almost six weeks. I am after another 30-40 pounds but I expect that this will take time.

My exercise level over the last two weeks has been six times a week for 40-60 minutes. Three times a week at cardio rehab and the other at home on my AirDyne. On my Airdyne I do 5 minute intervals at these levels. Warm-up between 1.5 and 1.9, next interval 2.1-2.4, next: 2.6-2.9, the next period I do >3.0 with a sprint of over 4.0 for about 2 minutes before cooling down at 2.0 for an interval then 1.0 then <0.5. Yesterday this took me 50 minutes to complete. My peak HR for this was 124. At cardio rehab my range is given as 110-130 bpm so I am still below the suggested maximum at home as they instruct me to do.

I am on a beta blocker so I need to watch how high my heart goes. Beta blockers lower the max. numbers quite a bit depending on which ones are being taken. I am on Sotatol for A-Fib issues that I have also developed just the six weeks or so. This stuff lowers HR a lot and I have to halve it to get myself back to an acitivity level that is adequate for fat-burning. As I have noted I am now back into exercising a bit more now.

One thing that I have learn over the past several months is that counting calories is not everything. A balanced intake is the only way to make the minimum calorie set work. Otherwise, hunger sets in before it should. I can eat a nice dinner but if I am low on fat I need some ice cream (half cup). Or if I am low on carbohydrates I need a small bowl of cereal or a snack bar.

The dietitian at cardio rehab told me to always eat some snack at mid morning and mid afternoon to keep myself from feeling hungry when the next meal comes along. When hungry, I eat more and faster adding on calories not needed even with a balanced intake.

Note when looking at fat count on an item,if it does not add up the extra is in trans-fats. If the amount of trans-fats is below 1g they are by law allowed to state it as zero. Just one more item taken from cardio-rehab classes.

Just another note, counting calories is no joke....especially at almost 58 years old and having such surgery.

I am on a beta blocker so I need to watch how high my heart goes. Beta blockers lower the max. numbers quite a bit depending on which ones are being taken. I am on Sotatol for A-Fib issues that I have also developed just the six weeks or so. This stuff lowers HR a lot and I have to halve it to get myself back to an acitivity level that is adequate for fat-burning. As I have noted I am now back into exercising a bit more now.

Beta blockers... ugh. My girlfriend suffers from neurocardiogenic syncopy (brain doesn't properly regulate heart) who has to take them. It really messes with you in the long run and can lead to psychosis. Your pain tolerance is decreased (partially blocks chemicals that regulate pain receptors) and it does lead to storing more fat. While not so bad for a short term medication, its effects are not well understood in the long run. Best of luck.

^Some Beta blockers as I was told in cardio-rehab classes are so benign as to be like fluorine and some think they should be put into the water system, not necessarily the one that I was talking about. This of course sounds very different from what you are saying.

I need to get off them anyway in the long run as you stated and that is a goal of mine.

I'll give that fiber one cereal a go. Been trying random ones Smart Starts/honey bunches of oats/just bunches/raisin bran/a lot more smart starts.

Already been eating the yoplait fat free ones. But man...they have that diet soda taste of death.

Gotta start cutting out the broccoli... been eating assloads of it. Uric acid gonna be too high if I keep it up =/. It was already high/near high on my last blood test. Seems I like foods with high amounts of it.

Hey guys, first post here, and it's not related to anything musical. =) I'm 5'8", 145lb, body fat % in the low teens.

My office is doing a weight loss challenge (w/ money involved) to see who can lose the highest percentage of their original weight. I'm worried that staying competitive may force me to be unnaturally skinny. Should I even try to compete?

I mean obviously you've got different size people, and say some small dude really wanted the money... Bad things.

Well, I'm the smallest dude there, so... :P

Anyways, I was just kidding about the health risk thing. I have a decent idea of what I'm getting into. The competition is by percentage, not mass. That helps somewhat.

If I manage to do well, y'all can get in on my diet/exercise secrets. :cool: Funny that I already have a bodybuilding.com space, but I'm posting info here.

• 4 weeks later...