Off topic SinglePower discussion, immtbiker/Dusty posts, etc

immtbiker

So much of head-fi could be improved if all the inane posts were cleaned up, if the search function actually worked, if the obvious shills were kicked out, if sponsors were held to a standard of quality in their products, and if the mods stepped in to actually control the quality of the posts, and not allow 100 iterations of "what teh best phon3z fer ipod..." threads to appear every day. They need to actually kick out some of the idiots that are plaguing the forum, which is now a significant chunk of the population. Otherwise things will start to look like the Blizzard forums before long (and they're nearly there already).

I think that as head-fi became more successul, it attracted more, um... "mainstream" members, but its moderation hasn't changed to follow suit, and that is really killing it in the long term.

This really confuses me. When inane posts (perceived differently by any given reader) are cleaned up and mods step in to control the quality of posts, or kick out idiots (again, alledged differently by each reader) we are called the Nazi Police, or are blamed for "over-moderation". Everyone needs different things from a forum and sometimes, no matter what direction moderation goes in, it can be considered poor management by anyone at any given time. Moderators can only try to do what they think are right and aren't going to please everyone, all of the time. And consistency, can be tough. Hell, even our government and major corporations that have been around 50+ years, still can't get it perfect.

The problem was a bad 5687 tube adapter,I moved the adapters right to left & the distortion moved with it.I replaced the front tubes & adapters

with VT231s,no adapters no distortion.

This is the secound tube adapter that had failed on me,the first being a very early one.

I have to agree with you the adapters may be the cause for all the biasing problems others are having.

I don't know why you would say that ,as in fact there where no issues at all

at the last november meet or the Nov meet in 2006 with the ES1 at all.Just reread the meet impressions thread not a word about a problem was posted ,or did anyone mention a problem to me at the meets.Only Positive comments where made to me at the meets & in the thread.

I can't pin down which exact two meets that the events took place, Tom, but I do remember you waiting an incredibly long time for your ES-1 and when Mikhail finally sent it to a summer mini-meet at Jahn's apartment building, you ended up getting Hirsch's in error, and had to send it back, and wait a long time again, before receiving yours.

Also, I might be wrong, but I thought it was yours, Mikhail brought an ES-1 to a meet after a long wait (I remember opening 36 wood screws on a crate with a hand-held screwdriver) and there was a bad buzzing sound coming out of one of the channels, and the first find was that someone was adjusting the bias screws on top, thinking that they were volume control knobs (which Mikhail has since remedied) and then it still wasn't performing properly and Mikhail reported back in the impressions post, that it was, once again, the result of a bad tube. Sorry, if it wasn't you.

Please don't make me open a can of whoop-ass on you, now. Your not as fast as you used to be, my "well equipmented" friend. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This really confuses me. When inane posts (perceived differently by any given reader) are cleaned up and mods step in to control the quality of posts, or kick out idiots (again, alledged differently by each reader) we are called the Nazi Police, or are blamed for "over-moderation". Everyone needs different things from a forum and sometimes, no matter what direction moderation goes in, it can be considered poor management by anyone at any given time. Moderators can only try to do what they think are right and aren't going to please everyone, all of the time. And consistency, can be tough. Hell, even our government and major corporations that have been around 50+ years, still can't get it perfect.

You are right you can't please everyone. But if its between people who like to generate inane posts/uselessly duplicate information versus people who want a sparser environment where there is less duplicate information... well which party woukl you rather satisfy? There is no right answer, but I am curious.

You could make the argument that those two goals aren't mutual exclusive and you'd be partially right, but the overlap in that Ven diagram is small.

You could make the argument that the current style is right because it is aligned with the majority and you'd be right... that that's what the majority wants a place, i.e. a place to generate inane posts. But that doesn't mean necessarily that that is the right ideal for head-fi to strive for. (Again there is no right answer, but you should have a personal answer).

I sympathize when you or anyone brings the "You can't win" line out. It's not an easy position to be in. But I don't get the point. It's not like the right move is to stop trying to please anyone. I'm sure you guys (moderators) and Jude have a vision and that vision involves pleasing some subset of people. And I don't know if that subset is slanted towards pleasing the inane masses, the people that are sorta in the know and want to be more in the know, the people in the know, vendors or the moderators/Jude himself. Whatever floats your guys' boat(s).

But let me say.. the inane masses don't know what's good for them. What's good for them isn't the same dubious baseless shit repeated over and over by people who haven't even heard what they are spewing back and forth at each other. Maybe that shit should be moderated.

You are right you can't please everyone. But if its between people who like to generate inane posts/uselessly duplicate information versus people who want a sparser environment where there is less duplicate information... well which party woukl you rather satisfy? There is no right answer, but I am curious.

The new 'high-end' ghetto seems to be sort of working... ;)

That's probably not completely unreasonable, as it's unclear what's even the broad consensus on the type of systems that should be discussed. At least stuff like 'what's the best USB DAC under $200' can be moderated away with clear consciousness and without a need to judge just how retarded a particular poster is.

That forum is pretty hilarious. How immediately someone asked... what's the cheapest way to get into the high end. Mmm the high end. THe club almost everyone wants to join but isn't really willing to go the extra mile to do! (Buy one or two B-52s DUH).

Dan, this post is a perfect example, you are always going to find something to complain about no matter what we do. When I say you it isn't the collective you, it was you in particular but there are certainly a number of others like you. It almost seems you do it just to part of the club. As Aaron pointed what is inane to you and 20 or so other members of headcase isn't necessarily inane to those posting and others reading. I hate to say this but if you really can't handle ignoring certain posts and threads on HF, if it's really too difficult for you to sift through, what you consider to be the bs, then why bother going there at all? I'm being serious. I choose what I want to read and what I don't want to read. It really isn't that difficult. Just like I choose to ignore someone like Germania rather than spend my time making fat jokes about her. I'm not a mod there to cater to you or 20 other people that complain. Do you really think it's possible to find every post where someone posted about something they haven't heard and delete them or edit them? Even if we could, I wouldn't. I don't like when people post an opinion on something they haven't heard but what if it was one of the guys that no their shit about the electronics and they point out why it may sound this way or that way. Should I delete those? Perhaps you should write up a legend by which we know what the inane posts are according to icarium. I assure you that you are the last person I'm catering to as a mod over there.

By the way, have you posted a single time in the high end forum? If you did, I couldn't find it. If I'm right, and you don't even try to make it work, why not just stfu about it already?

Also, spare me your sympathy, I don't need it.

Dusty what does Aaron jesting with his friend have to do with his not being a mod here? Other than the fact that you enjoy giving him shit at every opportunity.
I don't approve of his cyber-bullying persona, and I actually think that my reaction was pretty low-key. Also, there's jesting-jesting, and there was what Aaron was doing -- did he really need to throw that in there in what was largely a serious discussion? I'll be the judge of that.

And I'm glad you-all know so surely when he's kidding and when he's not -- I don't, and if I don't, others don't either.

I won't be bringing any gear to the meet. You can thank Aaron for making me feel uncomfortable about it.

It's cool...I've been doing push-ups all week so that Peter and I can have a arm wrestling contest at the MD meet this weekend and get this over, once and for all! :palm:
That won't be happening. Edited by Dusty Chalk

I don't approve of his cyber-bullying persona, and I actually think that my reaction was pretty low-key. Also, there's jesting-jesting, and there was what Aaron was doing -- did he really need to throw that in there in what was largely a serious discussion? I'll be the judge of that.

And I'm glad you-all know so surely when he's kidding and when he's not -- I don't, and if I don't, others don't either.

I won't be bringing any gear to the meet. You can thank Aaron for making me feel uncomfortable about it.That won't be happening.

The indication he was kidding was the smiley at the end of the phrase that you snipped off. Your reaction was low key only in that it was not as OOT as your previous Aaron conflicts.

Your desicion to bring or not bring gear is yours and yours alone, rather than drama up the situation why not tell us why Aaron's mere presence makes you feel 'uncomfortable' bringing gear. You are a big boy and should be able to enjoy a meet without the presence of any member taking control of your ability to enjoy a gathering.

Thanks, Mom, I'll keep that in mind. It'd be nice to know that everyone else at the meet was an adult as well, though.

For the record, there's very little cyber-bullying at this site -- you may want to spin this as me vs. Aaron if you like, but I just get very sensitive about that sort of thing, so speak up about that particular offense a little more quickly than the other mods. He's one of the few offenders that I can recall that I've had to say anything to.

Glad you're not going to be there, asshole. :P <-- see, smiley makes it all better, I just joking.