New source? Is it time?

Abbadon

I've been bitten by the upgrade bug, and once I liberate some gear, I'll have about 1k to spend on a new source to replace my mf a3.24.

Two questions: Firstly, will 1k be enough to purchase a source that is several steps ahead of the MF dac, and, if so, then what would you recommend?

I know I should be thankful (and spend the money on music), but somehome I feel oddly empty inside. Like my headphone journey has come to an end for the next several years (until I can afford 'stats).

That is, unless the 840c is a significant upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

The Source is to oft overlooked and the most important part of the chain. Further down the chain you could find a good amp/phone combo and never know it because your source is wanting. It's the Alpha/Omega!! Scour the used market, or find a descent modder for the used gear you have or will acquire and spend the extra. Your ears will be appreciative of the effort!

I had a short exposure to the MF A3.24 and I didn't like it, very "upsampling" sound. Kind of enhancing detail and "airyness" at the expense of naturality. IMHO a decent DAC like the Lavry DA-10 could be more satisfying and still into OP's price range. However I agree that with 1000 bucks you can't go "several steps" ahead of the 3.24. Maybe a lateral move to a kind of sound more of OP's liking.

Rgrds

I apologize! You have a modded source Mr Dusty? Was it purchased already with the mods in place. Did you purchase it new, and after a time decided to upgrade? Was it purchased at the behest of mod maker for it's upscale potential?

Bit storage, in whatever medium you choose is not the problem. Retrieving those bit in some order of semblance is the failing point.

If the op is hanging up his headphones in two months time, to move on to bigger and better things, then all the afore mentioned replies have validity.

The first reply; through money at it, 2K to where.....? You mention nothing better at it's price point. The OP chimes in he is less than satisfied with the sound proprieties. You chime back with a good luck. Then the famous side step with the DA10. We all know in TWO months his doubts and pangs will resurface.

Can't wonderful deals be had on used gear? You enjoy the gear for a time and later discuss the upgrade options. Can't a modder, in layers to match your budget, forge a piece of gear into something that will remain valid TWO years down the road. I think of the long term! It wasn't always that way and many side steps later (and many, many more dollars later) frustration takes root, and can't be moved with dynamite. Maybe I'm wrong and the formative education should be left to the "other" site. If all belief is Religion, then I'm guilty as charged. I was simply relaying a possibility that maybe he hadn't considered. And was sharing some of my experiences through the post. And I don't post often and that will be a relief to you I'm certain!!

Um...yeah. (a) You use too many exclamation points. (B) I was just giving you a hard time, because your answer seemed to be in the general, whereas the question was very specific. And I heartily disagree with "team source first" -- I am a card-carrying member of "team weak link first", aka "team synergy". So every once in a while, I post to that effect. You just happened to be the target of my soapboxing this time. © It's not a problem if you post more often. It would not be a relief to believe I've driven someone off, that was not my intent. I am perfectly capable of enthusiastic discussion, and I enjoy hearing same, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. OTOH, (d) be forewarned -- if you do post, expect responses, not just from me. This is not exclusive to head-case -- it applies to the entire internet.

Back on topic:

The problem is that not many of us have actually heard an A3.24, so we wouldn't know if any of our suggestions are better, much less several steps better. Add to that the fact that "better" is a matter of opinion, and you get a rather pointless thread. Perhaps we should put a call out that if anyone sees any deals in the used market for top-notch sources within the stated price range, they should post them here, and all of them should be read with the assumed qualification, "YMMV".

Sorry to have put the brakes on this thread, just ignore the cranky ol' bastard in the corner.

I agree with aRc. I believe the upgrade path is the way to go. I have upgraded my rotel rcd-971, and gilmore dynamic headamp V2SE with distinct improvements in sound quality, at a price that would not have purchased a

"better" source. If you like the sound of your source but want "more", consider upgrading. I know, I use too many quotation marks. HA!

The properties of amplification are well documented and haven't changed in 70 years with the beginning of Ultra-Linear. We haven't had a technocracy breakthrough in 50 years since the transistor and the advent of lightweight technology . It has been a refinement of existing technology all these many long years and to what service? Phonophiles know the point of contact is the important interchange. And is most susceptible to corruption. The table works in concert. speed variations, damping and warble have to be synchronous to allow the styli max performance. Simplified I know but though the hard/software has changed but the importance hasn't. The corruption occurs in a pico environment with digital. Most all factory gear has problems that can be lessened. They all build to price points and scrimp on the internals to varying degrees. But you overlook that with a 10K lighter wallet.

The properties of amplification are well documented and haven't changed in 70 years with the beginning of Ultra-Linear. We haven't had a technocracy breakthrough in 50 years since the transistor and the advent of lightweight technology.

The principles of the automobile are well documented and haven't changed since the days of the Ford Model T around a century ago. We haven't had a technology breakthrough in over 70 years since they started using fuel injection in engines and unibody construction. It has been a refinement of existing technology all these many long years and to what service?

Yeah, sorry, comment was actually directed at aRc.

Oh I thought your comment was directed at this other post:

I agree with aRc. I believe the upgrade path is the way to go. I have upgraded my rotel rcd-971, and gilmore dynamic headamp V2SE with distinct improvements in sound quality, at a price that would not have purchased a

"better" source. If you like the sound of your source but want "more", consider upgrading. I know, I use too many quotation marks. HA!

I found Aerius' funny in a cynic way ;)

Rgrds

Yeah I'm a new kid, so I don't know anything, should be ignored, and am making this shit up to sound cool... which isn't going to work because I'm going to recommend the bog standard boring crap...

Lavry DA10 as suggested or Benchmark DAC1. Either would be a nice (not huge, but noticeable) step forward IMO. Hard to go past either for your budget, and if you aren't happy with the 'upgrade', not hard to get your money back via the 'for sale' forums of any site along the lines of www.head-filltheblank.org

My preference between the two is the Benchmark, and I have found the in-built headphone out to be of equal quality to any external headphone amp I've tried so far.

Best of luck with your search...

• 3 weeks later...