The Jecklin Floats thread

spritzer

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-100926089806656515&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-100926089806656515&hl=en

This was posted over on HF earlier today and it deserved it's own thread. It's a Swedish film about audiophiles with a guest appearance from a unique headphone. They turn up about 30 seconds in. :cool:

A small teaser...
09imm021.jpg

I think that second pic should go in to the annals of geekdoom as THE definitive representation of headphone geeks. Seriously, that pic is perfect! I have always wondered, when and where was it taken, anyone?

Not that long ago... :eek:

Right around 7:58 some old Stax make an appearance as well.

Nice catch. Those are SR-5's

I just ran into someone last weekend who is trying to sell two NOS Jecklin Floats. He's only got one transformer, and wants to sell it with both headphones as a package. I'm contemplating making an offer, but have absolutely no idea what those things should sell for. In fact, I can't remember actually seeing a set sold. Any advice?

Go for them Hirsch, you'll have no trouble selling them on if you don't like them and for all their flaws they are a really nice sounding set of headphones. Even some minimal modding would improve them (think one packet of blu-tac and a little time).

I'm assuming that its the PS2 version of the headphones that you've got the chance to go for, the PS2 is the most commonly seen electrostatic headphone from Jecklin and the PS2 with the push button is the more common, although slightly inferior transformer unit. For two working PS2 headphones plus a PS2 transformer you're looking at a wide range of price possibillities,

The PS2 has a step-up ratio of 1:120, with a bias voltage of 1.2kV.

The PS0 has a step-up ratio of 1:60, with a bias voltage of -1.55kV

So, the answer is "yes", assuming you have a bias supply that can adjust in the range of 1.2kV-1.55kV. I happen to have one. The KGSS is not a good match, not nearly enough juice, so you're talking Blue Hawaii at a minimum. These phones measure right at a 330pF load, including cable.

What Marc said but to put things into context a Lambda is somewhere around 110pf. It's also tough to tell how the drivers impedance plot is as they might drop by quite a bit in the bass and treble requiring wast amounts (relatively) of current from the amp. I was going to try them from the BH but got fed up with the lack of comfort...

What Marc said but to put things into context a Lambda is somewhere around 110pf. It's also tough to tell how the drivers impedance plot is as they might drop by quite a bit in the bass and treble requiring wast amounts (relatively) of current from the amp. I was going to try them from the BH but got fed up with the lack of comfort...

I did a SPICE simulation with the increased bias of my KGSS and the higher load and it wasn't all that bad...just needs more voltage swing...

I did a SPICE simulation with the increased bias of my KGSS and the higher load and it wasn't all that bad...just needs more voltage swing...

Ok cool but this does bring up one thing, is the capacitance spec enough info to go on? The 4070 and a SR-404 are identical in this regard but the amp load isn't even close, same with the SR-Lambda and SR-Sigma. The SR-303 is 120pf yet the SR-Ω is 110pf and the SR-007 Mk2 is 94pf and we both know that the load is very different. The Blue Hawaii doesn't break a sweat driving any of them but all amps aren't the BH...

Ok cool but this does bring up one thing, is the capacitance spec enough info to go on? The 4070 and a SR-404 are identical in this regard but the amp load isn't even close, same with the SR-Lambda and SR-Sigma. The SR-303 is 120pf yet the SR-Ω is 110pf and the SR-007 Mk2 is 94pf and we both know that the load is very different. The Blue Hawaii doesn't break a sweat driving any of them but all amps aren't the BH...

I assume so. I just model the load with a capacitor across the outputs, no resistive or inductive components. You'll have to ask Kevin I suppose.

I assume so. I just model the load with a capacitor across the outputs, no resistive or inductive components. You'll have to ask Kevin I suppose.

Since these are planars then the housing will always have a huge impact on the load as well as the air around the driver. I guess it is time to hit the books on electrostatic theory to make sense of this.

One point though, the SR-007 is an easy load compared to the rest of the phones on paper but it could be the air damping that makes them so demanding in real life. The drivers are small compared to the SR-Ω yet even harder to drive.

• 2 years later...

Beyer sucks.

The PS2 has a step-up ratio of 1:120, with a bias voltage of 1.2kV.

The PS0 has a step-up ratio of 1:60, with a bias voltage of -1.55kV

So, the answer is "yes", assuming you have a bias supply that can adjust in the range of 1.2kV-1.55kV. I happen to have one. The KGSS is not a good match, not nearly enough juice, so you're talking Blue Hawaii at a minimum. These phones measure right at a 330pF load, including cable.

Hey you didn't tell me you had a pair of Floats. One of these days I need to completely refurb the foam, damp the chassis properly, and connect the drivers to the chassis properly.