The Jecklin Floats thread

spritzer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Glad not to be that fat anymore.

Still a Jecklin shaped hole in my life. Bought DR-150s instead. Cost less than €1000 too.

Well Duggeh you don't really look fat in the photo - more worried about your current one (avatar). Do you have the same condition that Prad Pitt had in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"?

I see you borrowed one of Tyll's shirts tongue.png

Is the chap standing next to you wearing a yellow marigold rubber glove? Why one - what gives?

Edited by complin

Not a bad price but that amp is quite the cluster fuck...

Spritzer not sure what you are meaning about the amp - is this an old Icelandic saying ? huh.png

Not really even though my Icelandic always shines through. The amp is quite bad though, SRPP with ECC81's and a B+ of 900V.

I know this saying, and I'm not Icelandic.

Not really even though my Icelandic always shines through. The amp is quite bad though, SRPP with ECC81's and a B+ of 900V.

I don't know of any commercially available amp other than this to drive the Jecklins - 1200V @300pf. I thought the ECC81/12AT7 is quite widely used in headphone amps and has a good sound signature, but perhaps a bit under powered for the Jecklin's.

I wonder if anyone has come up with any modifications it to improve it?

I think I saw a circuit board design somewhere on the net to provide the right bias and load for the them. Perhaps this could be built as an option into a BHSE biggrin.png

I was reading about Jorg Jecklin the other day, and he has a very distinguished background and career in the fields of audio, music recording/broadcasting and audio research, particularly surround sound. A bit of a dark horse really.

Edited by complin

The BHSE should have no trouble driving the Jecklins with a +1200V bias supply. Now getting those connectors would be impossible though.

Could cannibalise one of the transformer units as you sometimes see them without the headphones

More important would be the design of the bias circuit but perhaps you could copy this again from the transformer box.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Kevin Gilmore had built something to drive the Jecklin's about 10 years ago with one of his electrostatic amp designs.?

What, you without Floats is like me without a SR-007.... undecided.gif

Haven't had any Floats now for a long while. I'll get another pair someday.

Well Duggeh you don't really look fat in the photo - more worried about your current one (avatar). Do you have the same condition that Prad Pitt had in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"?

I see you borrowed one of Tyll's shirts tongue.png

Is the chap standing next to you wearing a yellow marigold rubber glove? Why one - what gives?

I forget the girls name, she was the younger cousin of a flatmate I had at university. I used to wear loud shirts all the time back then, the other guy is my younger brother, and theres a rubber glove on his hand because in the original the guy has some kind of glove on, and theres a VCR for the same parodic reason.

The BHSE should have no trouble driving the Jecklins with a +1200V bias supply. Now getting those connectors would be impossible though.

Precide will probably sell you a Hirchmann socket although they might gouge you for it. Elsewise you could buy an AMT notch filter box or throw away the Hirshmann and use a 6 pin xlr or something. Not 5, in case someone tries to plug their HE Jade in of course...

Edited by Duggeh

• 1 month later...

Well the PS2 Ergo Amp I've seen uses 4 x RTF ECC82 Valves East German Military spec and was manufactured by K&E in Germany

On the front - it has controls for Volume, Balance, left/right, Reverse Phase, Stereo, Phase 180', Mono and Difference

Two headphone sockets and peak lights for left an right

On the reverse - Pair of balanced inputs, Two pairs of RCA inputs. Also two switches, one marked ground an the other which switches between symmetrical an asymmetrical?

This is what it looks like inside

post-769-0-60692900-1326300942_thumb.jpg

Edited by complin

I just checked my schematic and they did indeed use ECC82's. Not that it matters really since we are still dealing with a small signal tube with a max Va of 300V, driven way past its limits and asked to push what, 300pf? Pure madness...

Also, that balanced input is really just single ended (notice the dual section 10K RK27 pot) and the input drivers are BC639. It's also fully AC-coupled.

I just checked my schematic and they did indeed use ECC82's. Not that it matters really since we are still dealing with a small signal tube with a max Va of 300V, driven way past its limits and asked to push what, 300pf? Pure madness...

Also, that balanced input is really just single ended (notice the dual section 10K RK27 pot) and the input drivers are BC639. It's also fully AC-coupled.

Not sure why this is an issue because if i'm not mistaken Dr Gilmore also designed AC coupled electrostatic amplifiers using ECC82's (12AU7) ?

No, that one uses ECC83's and only for the driver stage. They are run off a +300V supply so once you factor in the loss in the plate resistors the valves are well within their limits (they can indeed be run quite a bit harder than that). The output stage of the GES uses 6S4A's run off +600V.