Graduation Day - The Tubelab Simple SE project begins...

n_maher

It occurred to me a while back that my rig has gotten to a point that in terms of headphone amps it'll be pretty damn hard to beat what I have and that continuing to build more headphone amps is probably pretty silly. Where does that leave me? cue JBLoudG20 and Reks Speakers!

Now I was talking with Pete the other day about basic speaker amp projects, specifically the design set forward in the boozhound labs howto pages. I had been looking at that project for a long time and had gathered about half the parts that I needed to complete the build but I was thinking of making some changes (different rectifier and input tubes) and solicited Pete's advice to make sure I didn't blow anything up. As an aside I asked him if there were any other, similar-in-scope projects and he mentioned the Tubelab Simple project as one. It clicked that someone here had thought about building it (fierce freak) but I told myself no, you've already got parts for one project, stay the path, ignore the pull, keep wallet intact. Yeah, this is how it always starts...

So while browsing hoping to find some used decent iron for the boozhound amp I happened upon a guy selling an entire kit of parts for the SimpleSE. Turns out much like myself he had way too many irons in the fire and needed to bail on the Simple project to make way for others and he was taking a bath on the parts he had. Oh dear, I'm a sucker for a good deal. I fire off an email asking for more details and he responds back with the parts list that he has, which was in a word, pure insanity. Oh dear, I have a penchant for overkill. This puts me in full-on how the heck am I going to pay for this mode which results in the sale of my 'spare' stat rig and by 10:30 last night the parts were paid for. Christ, my wife is going to kill me.

Much like the Menace I'll document as much of the build process as is feasible and will certainly share the results of the build. From all I've been able to read this is a fantastic amp. The version I'm building will be setup to run KT88s on the outputs and I'll be minimizing the options to keep it as simple (wink, wink) as possible. For now, all I've got is the schematic.

SimpleSE_Amp_Sch_2.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nugget Audio Cicadas, eh?

Craig and I discussed how to best implement the drivers in a small ~1cu-ft enclosure at CanJam so that's what I'm leaning towards. I hope that my dad I and will be able to build this some time this fall/winter, the drivers are getting lonely.

I just checked out the Tubelad page on the Simple SE and I think I am going to build one of these. It looks like a great tube DIY project to cut my teeth on and I'd have an awesome amp for my dormant Inifnity RS10b's. Thanks for the post!

I have to tell you, I've looked at the docs and I'm not sure I'd qualify it as a project to cut your teeth with. The pcb is nice for avoiding some of the pitfalls that plague most HV tube projects but there's no getting around the ~400V PS which trust me is enough to thump you good. What else have you built before?

I'm not concerned about the danger aspect, I am very safety conscious. I have worked around electricity and was an automotive technician for years (welding, machine shop equipment, tools, wiring diagrams) . I am proficient with a multimeter (Fluke 88 ), and it's really the PCB soldering and case work I want to have more practice time with. After completion I'll take the amp over to my dads house for testing before firing it up from a wall outlet (he used to do electronics with the military).

Nugget Audio Cicadas, eh? what are you using for the cabinets?

Ahhh there are lots and lots of diy cabinet options out there for a single driver option BLH, QWT?????

Since you are an aesthetics junky, I will be really interested in how you execute the finish. I suffered years over my many do overs for my two pairs and I am still in recovery waiting until I get the nerve to try my sub woofer project.

betas

i'm one of those idiots that did a balanced beta22 for his first project. at least it worked out ok for me, but I completely agree.

Nice project, Nate! I was thinking of the TubelabSE as opposed to the SimpleSE for a headphone amp (similar names), but the SimpleSE looks pretty awesome for speakers. I can't wait to check out your progress.

I still get the urge to build either the Menace or the TubelabSE as I planned before, but I'm not sure when that'll happen due to my renewed passion for guitar and my love of the triple.fi's (which don't need much of an amp if any).

WOW, the photo that has the screwdriver intact!!!!!! I never thought I'd see it again!

They are beautiful. Wildly, unconventionally sexy. Like that foreign gal at work...with the tight skirt and the tossed hair. ooh la la. You can't stop looking at her, no? Maybe a quick caffe, lunch, maybe she'll talk with that outrageous accent. CANT STOP LOOKING.