Clothing brands you liked as an adolescent

deepak

I was just thinking about some of the clothing fads in my younger days. One of the earliest fads I remember in middle school was Starter. They made work out or athletic clothing along the lines of Reebok, etc. I remember getting a Saskatchewan Roughriders Starter winter jacket one Christmas that was the coolest thing for a while. Later on a Red Wings Starter t-shirt that has the design to look like a movie poster, the movie being called "Wings of Fire" with the players names listed in the small print in the credits. I still have that shirt and love it.

Another was Guess. Guess jeans, shirts, watches were pretty popular as well in my school around '96.

And No Fear. Those damn shirts with the edgy slogans on the back were way too popular, and sure enough I hopped on that hype train as well.

Those are the only three that really stand out, but I'm sure there were a lot more.

When I was in middle school (early 70s), it was extremely uncool to be brand-conscious. Levis and Wranglers were okay, but that's it, and we'd actually take the labels off our clothing so as not to be conspicuous. In high school, I remember Calvin Klein jeans being around, and they did make my butt look good, so I bought a pair or two. That's about all I remember. What's funny is that attitude from early days is still with me. I absolutely will not wear clothing or accessories with obvious logos on them, and feel embarrassed for those that do, except for maybe some sports clothes. There are a couple brands I now buy and look for only because they fit me well every time, but that's about it. Never really paid attention beyond that need.

Guess was popular, but I never took much liking to it. Think I liked Fossil for their watches, maybe wallets too. T-Shirts wise.. whatever I bought at the outlet. Nautica, some quicksilver. I was a fan of some of marc ecko's stuff back then, and still am now (there's also many items from him that I'd never wear).

These days... I'd lean towards undftd/bape, and anything that looks clean, nice, and is minimalist on showing their logo/branding off.

These days I'm not very discriminating with brand name. Even the cheap stuff like Aeropostale holds up pretty well to abuse.

I do love Armani Collezioni shirts, and don't really buy any other brand to wear to work. No other shirts I've tried have the stitching, fit, and overall quality of those. And for suits Ermenegildo Zegna.

How about one word for you guys: Jordache, those jeans were hot when I was in HC.

Levi's were always cool. THEN Pepe jeans took over.

LOL, I have never purchased a pair of jeans worth more than $70 bucks, let alone those fancy designer jeans worth a couple hundred.

When I was in middle school (early 70s), it was extremely uncool to be brand-conscious.
This is my experience as well, sort of. I would have to qualify it with "my crowd" considered it uncool...the "jocks" and "jockettes" wore Izods and shit, so we, of course, had to eschew same.

But yeah, Levi's were pretty universally admired.

In the mid seventies it was Hash jeans with a big star on the back pocket, and you had to have a big oversized comb w/handle sticking out of the pocket. Britannia jeans were also a favorite. Adidas and then the new Nike shoes were very cool. A little later it was Asics Tigers.

Then when I was a Senior in High School Disco was king, so the pants to wear were called "Cheeks". They were very tight Polyester bell bottoms, and you were a total dork if you wore underwear with them. Good thing I was a quasi exhibitionist.

Just remembered that I'm old enough to have things I wore when I was younger become popular again. When tie dye started showing up a few years back, I was horrified, and same for "flared" jeans, or wide-legged sailor type pants, some skirts, and even peasant dresses. I'm not exactly good with clothes or anything close, but the one fashion rule I've lived by, and has kept me safe from PTSD harm, other than no labels, is that you should never wear anything you wore during puberty. It's just bad all the way around.

Just remembered that I'm old enough to have things I wore when I was younger become popular again. When tie dye started showing up a few years back, I was horrified, and same for "flared" jeans, or wide-legged sailor type pants, some skirts, and even peasant dresses. I'm not exactly good with clothes or anything close, but the one fashion rule I've lived by, and has kept me safe from PTSD harm, other than no labels, is that you should never wear anything you wore during puberty. It's just bad all the way around.

I also have a horrible sense of style but take the opposite stance as you have. I only buy t-shirts in the children's section of the goodwill and value village. I figure that I'll never look good but I can look so ridiculous that it may flip back around to cool. I'm currently wearing a highschool band shirt from a school I've never heard of with a panther playing a trumpet on the front.

Picture-1.jpg

I'm not exactly good with clothes or anything close, but the one fashion rule I've lived by, and has kept me safe from PTSD harm, other than no labels, is that you should never wear anything you wore during puberty. It's just bad all the way around.
What about when you were pre-pubescent -- one of my big thrills during college was to get them to put on my halloween costume from when I was a kid, in which they barely fit. If they put it on, I knew I was "in".