Clothing brands you liked as an adolescent

deepak

In the mid seventies it was Hash jeans with a big star on the back pocket, and you had to have a big oversized comb w/handle sticking out of the pocket. Britannia jeans were also a favorite. Adidas and then the new Nike shoes were very cool. A little later it was Asics Tigers.

Then when I was a Senior in High School Disco was king, so the pants to wear were called "Cheeks". They were very tight Polyester bell bottoms, and you were a total dork if you wore underwear with them. Good thing I was a quasi exhibitionist.

Between you and Boomana, that pretty much summarizes the gist of fashion trends in my teens, but some really big names have been left off. Angel Flights were THE disco pants in my hood. I wasn't a disco dude, but had to wear them at a restaurant where I was a busboy. What about Dittos jeans for girls? I still have a pink pair burned into my brain that were worn by a girl at a school trip to an amusement park. :o

BTW, Vicki, the panther trumpet shirt stays firmly on the geek side and does not make the flip. :P

Between you and Boomana, that pretty much summarizes the gist of fashion trends in my teens, but some really big names have been left off. Angel Flights were THE disco pants in my hood. I wasn't a disco dude, but had to wear them at a restaurant where I was a busboy. What about Dittos jeans for girls? I still have a pink pair burned into my brain that were worn by a girl at a school trip to an amusement park. :o

BTW, Vicki, the panther trumpet shirt stays firmly on the geek side and does not make the flip. :P

Oh hell yeah Angel Flights FTW! I had an Angel Flights three piece polyester suit, it's what I wore for my senior picture. Complete with extra large collared silky shirt, unbuttoned w/gold chain and perfectly feathered hair.

According to everyone who denies being a disco guy, I'm the only one who listened and danced to it. Cheezy? Heck yeah, but while the jocks were listening to Rush, I was at the club dancing with their girlfriends. ---Push, Push...In the bush. Hooey, Hooey---

I'm not exactly good with clothes or anything close, but the one fashion rule I've lived by, and has kept me safe from PTSD harm, other than no labels, is that you should never wear anything you wore during puberty. It's just bad all the way around.

TMI spoilered

I'm the same way. That's why I never wear underwear.

Edited by grawk

I never really came across any real brands at school apart from Doc Martins, which everyone had to have or you got kicked to shit by everyone else wearing them. It was more styles (or lack thereof) at school like flares, bell bottoms, tank tops, Abercrombies that sort of ugly-ass stuff, which at the time seemed really cool :rolleyes:

in high school I wore levis 501s, tshirts, and an army field jacket until I went to prep school where I had to wear coat and tie.

There I had this great yellow plaid alexander julian sports coat.

Good lord!

Did you ever recover from that particular horror?

I don't recall the high school fad's right off, but what comes to me most vivid is the early '90s when I began a job as a Creative Director developing a specialized Mental Health Program for "seriously emo kids" (my best friends.) I feel in love with ties. The kids loved them and would want to come over at the start of each day and check out my satitorical spleader. They'd want to touch them to which was a nice way to lelt them connect with me.

These were rep. school club emblems but bold and expressive wearable art. Those brief few years represented a rennasiance, an explosion of posibility and uniquness. Surelism, cubism, impression, all the worlds art from were incorporated. Silks were highly refined in multi level jacards. Colors bold or deep and subtle patterned as origninal works of colled fine or pop art. Dark themes, satiric ironies, and then just plain pure expressions of the human condition. Treasurs you could wear and chooce day by day to say: "This is how I feel and what I want to communicate today." Brands: Zenga, Boss, Audrey Buckner, Serica Elite, Armani, Versace, Jahne Barnes,Tino Cosmo, on and on. We couldn't afford retail. Go over to the Norstrom Rack and pay $20 + or so for $100 tie The permissvie phase of expression lasted only about five years then a slow fizzle, then bamm, Bush. It was such a cool time there could have been a tiefi.

PS This time period is not too far off when some head-case folks still had references to high school so I think I'm somewhere w/in the framework to the original question?

Edited by barmar46
Psing

Stoner jackets, carefully-ripped 501s, hippie skirts, goth leather n' lace, safety-pinned straight-leg trousers bought from military surplus, Topshop anything sent by UK cousins

I have dim recollections of jeans called Jordache, Roadrunner and Fancy-Ass but those may be Vachon cake-inspired flashbacks. Sneakers were high, very high.

k