Trafomatic Audio Experience HEAD One

Kees

Hi all.

I stumbled across this headphone amp.

I found it on this site: Trafomatic Audio - Experience HEAD ONE

Here is what it says:

Experience HEAD ONE

Continuing with our line of fine amplifiers in Experience series, Experience Head One tube stereo headphone amplifier has been released on audio scene recently. Following basic design principle in accordance with philosophy of whole Experience series, this product offering an extended functionality unusual with amplifiers of the same type. beside it's general purpose to drive different types of dynamic headphones, this device is designed with some additional and very useful features. Owners of transistored audio systems were kept in mind during design phase, and especially those who are interested to experiment with tube sound. So there is possibility go use this device as preamp with separate line output and an active subwoofer output. Should be mentioned that subwoofer output has similar bandwidth as line output but lower performance, so it's usage is limited to lower frequencies.

SAFETY:

Maximal safety level has been achieved by using output transformer where headphones and other outputs are connected to separate galvanically insulated secondary windings, even global feedback is accomplished on the same way.

PRINCIPLE:

Also, as difference from usual OTL solutions, perfect matching of impedances for different types of headphones is achieved using different taps on output transformer secondary winding, providing lossless sound quality on all outputs as the most important point with our amplifiers. As consequence of this principle and philosophy of whole Experience series, high quality power supply with low induction toroidal transformer, tube rectifier, double L-C filter for anode voltage and top quality double C-core output transformer were implemented with extreme care.

PARTS:

Tube selection is made to achieve sufficient gain and output power with only one triode. Russian 6S45P is well known as robust and very linear triode. With top quality output transformer linearity on inductive load is not critical, so with only 1,8dB of global feedback amplifier has superior performance. This way feedback negative influence to sound from line output is effectively minimized. Indirectly heated rectifier tube EZ80 or EZ81 provide low noise level and soft start without transitional effects. Implementation of other quality parts as Rubicon electrolytic capacitors, Alps potmeter, metal-film resistors etc. are to complete picture about this product. It's your choice to enjoy in music with Experience Head One.

Specifications:

Tubes: 2x 6S45P , 1x EZ80(81)

Power supply: 230VAC (option 115VAC) , 50/60Hz - 50VA

Consumption: 30VA

Output impedance: 30 -100

post-730-12951152213658_thumb.jpg

Not to try jack this thread but wondering if anybody has heard about these Krater Audio_products_headphoneamps ?

Never heard of, but I would be interested to know how they optimized the OTL for low impedance phones.

And the hybrid with 6N1P tubes... Reminds me of the Musical Fidelity X-CAN v3, a hybrid with similar tubes (I used to have 6N1P in the MF).

Well Kees Serbia isn't member of EU nor is it candidate state so you might unfortunately end up paying VAT + import duties. Or was it already included in your initial calculation ?

Yes. All inclusive.

And I just pulled the trigger. The amp is heading my way in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
you can go ahead an post impressions though.. just take other people's impressions and just rephrase them a bit and wax poetic about any technological points that you find particularly interesting and are passionate about.

Yeah, why listen to the damned thing? Sovkiller says that transformers are bad and this fucking thing has two per channel... that's double fail!!!

Make sure you give periodic updates to how the sound changes as you burn in the amp and your power cord, say every ten hours of burn in.

Seriously though, I would like to read your impressions especially with the music and sources you use. It would be nice to read impressions of a Trafomatic owner other than the guy who has posted already.

Yeah, why listen to the damned thing? Sovkiller says that transformers are bad and this fucking thing has two per channel... that's double fail!!!

Well, Sovkiller is a nice guy, but he also says the Edition 9 are the best heaphones in his book...