Sourceless

Yikes

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was aware of their history when I bought it, however it has the newer supposedly fixed chips but I found out later that apparently those still have some issues as well. Oh well I can't complain really, with all mods it has the price wasn't bad and it sounds damn amazing.

All of you are thread crapping motherfuckers! :mikey1: Don?t you realize that this thread is about MY being sourceless? >:( You?re all just a bunch of post whore feces eating mother fucking donkey cock sucking thread crappers. Oh and you?re also shameless egocentric schlongs.

This nonsensical rant was brought to you by Hypoglycemia. Now where the fuck did I hide my candy. Shit, I might pass out this time. Fuck the world I?m outta here.

Sorry ??? Which player?

If you plan on modding it's probably a Sony?

Nah, no Sony for me again for a while, ask Haj about the saga of the sony. It'd be safe to say that if I ever hold a meet we might get to go Office Space on a Sony DVD player. I wasn't going to mention what my player was for fear of derailng the thread again and incurring the wrath of Yikes! ;D

But since you asked... I picked up Arch's used NAD C541i and I'm going to run it through some of the mods that Voodoochile did to his. I know he was pretty happy with it and only upgraded when Haj sold him his Electroinsanity.

Wait, you're finally going to have a digital source again, too? Damn, what is this world coming to? ;D

Yes, just as you go vinyl I might have a semi-respectable digital source again.

The NAD is a very nice affordable player, and I?m sure that it could be tweaked for not much more additional money.

This place is small enough where threads don?t really get derailed. At least not in a manner that bothers me.

I was yust yoking arround.

It'd be safe to say that if I ever hold a meet we might get to go Office Space on a Sony DVD player.

I don't know how I missed that bit when I first read your post, but now I'm looking forward to that! >:D

I remember that NAD player, though I think when I heard it a while back, it hadn't been modded yet.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I just spoke with John Tucker. My source is done. It will likely ship tomorrow, so I will have my player back mid to late next week. My system should be back up by next week.

Nice!! Let us know how it is.

Hmm, does a TBAAM and an iPod count as a source? If not, then count me into this club as well :)

OK, now my TBAAM broke (my own fault) and so I'm running the HD580 out of onboard sound, except I don't really listen at the computer so my main rig is 5G iPod -> Westone UM1.

Damn, I want to upgrade something. Chances are it'll be the IEMs, but the problem there is that the E500 isn't out yet and I'm not buying it anyway until the FOTM has died down, and I want to skip right to the top this time (no suggestions of UE10 plz).

• 2 weeks later...

There was a mix up and yada yada yada, my player didn?t ship on the 15th as it should have >:( :'(. It shipped yesterday. At least they shipped it 2nd day. So???.

I?ll have my player TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I have been quality digital source-less since the middle of March. :'(

I?m really excited to hear my Exemplar 3910 being fed balanced power. :o:dance: :dance:

There was a mix up and yada yada yada, my player didn?t ship on the 15th as it should have >:( :'(. It shipped yesterday. At least they shipped it 2nd day. So???.

I feel your pain Ethan. The source that arrived for me two weeks ago blew up the instant I turned it on. I shit you not.

I'm currently running an old Denon DVM 3700 that belongs to Ian (for now >:D) which has a history of BS problems with the transport so I'm not expecting great things. Funny thing is, so far it's been the most reliable. It worked for a whole day.

Looking forward to hearing your rig at the end of August.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

I had my player back for exactly ten days when it shit the bed again!!!!!! :mikey1: I can?t believe this crap. This is the third time in for essentially the same problem. :mikey2:>:(:(

Original issue (Early March) Distorted output with hiss (sounds like tube rush) and what sounds like servo squealing and whirring. I swapped tubes to no avail. The noises (Hiss and servo noise) all stop when the pause button is pushed. Since the Exemplar 3910 does not have a mute circuit after the output board this rules out the Exemplar circuitry. I sent the unit to the Denon service center where they have the most experience working on modified Denon?s. They determined that the drive had gone bad, probably due to the extra heat from the tube output. They took six weeks to replace the drive. They claimed that Denon?s parts department was moving so parts took longer than usual.

Mid-April I got the unit back. I immediately installed a cooling fan to avoid future heat related problems. Then I hooked the player up and it sounded great and worked great, well at least for three days it did anyway. At which point the player stopped reading (seeing) any discs. The repair place said, ?We?ve never had a bad replacement part, send it in we?ll fix it right up.? So I sent it in. Sure enough the new drive was bad. They replaced it (Another three weeks). Since the unit was already in the Pacific Northwest I had them send the unit to John Tucker at Exemplar Audio for the latest tweaks. He took much longer than expected, but the player sounded and worked fine. He sent the unit back to me.

Now after ten days the player is back to the original symptoms. Original repair $250, shipping for four cross-country transits $180, The sound of my head exploding when I realized that the fucking thing wasn?t working again, priceless.

Right now I sorta feel like I'm Denon's bitch. owned.gif

I feel that suicide may be the only viable option. hang.gif

Wow that truly sucks. I do wonder what the root cause is, as I find it hard to believe that three transport would die by themselves like this. Is there a different repair center you could try sending it to?

Sure, then I?d have to pay them to repair it. An out of warranty repair is warranted by the place that performed the repair. For a stock Denon I would have sent the unit to Denon in NJ, but since it is modified I sent it to the shop that has the most experience with modded players.

I was concerned with Denon getting their hands on the player and blaming the problems on the mod, and sending it back unfixed.

This is their last chance. If they can?t fix it Exemplar and I are going to seek some form of resolution with Denon USA. I?m not happy having a $5000+ paper weight.