The Olympics

jinp6301

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usain Bolt just won gold in the 200m and set a new world record 19.30.

What a freak! I can only imagine that he will continue lowering those records over the next few years. It's fun watching someone so tall in these events, simply due to how different his length dictates his running style must be. He's definitely the most entertaining track athlete since Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis.

There's a bit of shit hitting the fan over the Chinese "women" gymnastics ages. It seems that there is now an official IOC investigation into the age question. Interesting timing on the part of the IOC. I mean come on, they've already know that several of those girls are underage. But when this was brought up before the Olympics the IOC found nothing to investigate. Why now? Maybe just to get Bela to shut up. In which case it will probably be a quick sweep it under the carpet investigation to give the illusion that due diligence was done.

My personal feeling is if the IOC didn't have the balls to do a real investigation before the Olympics and call it then, they should let it go now. Whatever the age, those Chinese little girls did a great job and should not be victims to all the political machinations. Just my feeling.

My personal feeling is if the IOC didn't have the balls to do a real investigation before the Olympics and call it then, they should let it go now. Whatever the age, those Chinese little girls did a great job and should not be victims to all the political machinations. Just my feeling.
it's never too late to do the right thing. even if it's a tough pill to swallow.

Today was a fantastic finals night. Just saw the 4x100 relay, the pole vault and some other good events in the stadium. Great, great stuff. The relay WR was absolutely amazing and the pole vault face-off was also breathtaking with a Russian and an Australian guy fighting till end, with both always clearing the height on their last jump. And then the Australian also broke the OR on his last and third jump. The crowd went absolutely crazy today.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see the US vs. Spain basketball finals. Somebody gave me tickets today. Yep, life is good. :D

It was completely and utterly disappointing to see both the USA Men and Women teams get disqualified in the 4x100 relay. Then again the USA wasn't the only country disqualified, but how do these Olympic-trained runners not know how to pass the baton? :palm:

This morning I watched the event that is what looks to me like ballet with twirling ribbons with a little baton throwing added (I don't know the name). Very beautiful, but I am somehow having a hard time seeing that as a sport as it looks more like a performance art to me.

I do want to watch Bolt run again, simply amazing.

i suspect they don't typically practice with wet batons.

The Australian TV commentator was commenting on the odd - and seemingly insecure - way that the USA team were holding their baton. Rather than holding it in their palm with all of their fingers wrapped around - as would be the traditional way - they appeared to be holding the baton with the ring and little finger under the baton and the middle and index finger holding the baton into the palm. Presumably, this would offer less grip with a wet baton.

Okay, this has nothing to do with an Olympic competition, but they were doing one of those those little side-interest stories about Kung fu and the Shaolin temple, and this guy was doing an handstand, but only using his index fingers. A two-finger stand! That was as amazing as anything else I've seen.

It was completely and utterly disappointing to see both the USA Men and Women teams get disqualified in the 4x100 relay. Then again the USA wasn't the only country disqualified, but how do these Olympic-trained runners not know how to pass the baton? :palm:

I was bummed for them when that happened :(. Four years to race again is a long time and some of them might not be there in the next four years.

The Australian TV commentator was commenting on the odd - and seemingly insecure - way that the USA team were holding their baton. Rather than holding it in their palm with all of their fingers wrapped around - as would be the traditional way - they appeared to be holding the baton with the ring and little finger under the baton and the middle and index finger holding the baton into the palm. Presumably, this would offer less grip with a wet baton.

And makes the pass easier and quicker. CHEATZ

Really makes me want to ride some good single track :)

I was just at my cabin two weekends ago enjoying the singletrack. Some locals cut some amazing trails that pass within around 100m from my cabin. Of course they were cutting them on WMNF land, so the rangers are always looking for them. But they did a great job following the countours of the land and the trails go from very enjoyable to frustratingly technical constantly! ;D

Part of the issue with track and field in the US is that there is no organization at lower levels. Many time coaches won't talk to one another, nevermind share knowledge. Everyone is incredibly territorial, and as a result, there are different problems throughout because new ideas aren't exchanged. I see this at the college level getting athletes in the pole vault whose coaches haven't taught solid fundamentals.

And when you look at the relay teams, you see the same thing. Different college coaches teach different techniques for the handoffs, and after the trials the relay teams come together and the athletes haven't necessarily raced togehter before. 2 months ago I was watching Walter Dix run for FSU at the NCAAs, and now he's running for the US team. Not exactly a lot of time to work out the details. And the issue is further complicated by the use of different relay teams throughout prelims and finals. So the handoffs can be different throughout, with limited time to practice them.

I was just at my cabin two weekends ago enjoying the singletrack. Some locals cut some amazing trails that pass within around 100m from my cabin. Of course they were cutting them on WMNF land, so the rangers are always looking for them. But they did a great job following the countours of the land and the trails go from very enjoyable to frustratingly technical constantly! ;D

Mmm very nice, I miss the NH trails. I haven't done real technical biking in a few years, fun stuff though.