Mac Users: How do you do your music?

Just thought I'd get a pulse on how Mac fans handle their digital music libraries. For example, do you ALAC + iTunes, or do you FLAC + some heretofore unknown program to postjack, or do you bypass all of that with a Squeezebox, etc.

Currently on the PC I'm finding the Squeezebox to be the best thing since peanut butter since I don't have to screw with clunky buggy slow foobar (just my experience) or ASIO. Its my understanding that Macs don't need ASIO because Core Audio > kmixer, is this correct?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

iTunes to manage (with help from Doug's Applescripts) and playback (shared duties with FrontRow) when connected.

SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox for playback when not.

ALAC mostly.

Pretty much the same without the fancy Applescripts. Want to use FrontRow more 'acause it looks so purty.

And yes, itunes on the mac is bit perfect if you don't change the settings for things like eq or the level matching.

sweet.

Question, do I need a plugin for FLAC to use it in iTunes?

MBP Arrives today! :prettyprincess:

grats JB! but can iTunes even do FLAC? I was wondering if I was going to have to convert my whole library to ALAC.

sweet.

grats JB! but can iTunes even do FLAC? I was wondering if I was going to have to convert my whole library to ALAC.

I have no idea. I haven't used iTunes much before. I doubt I'll use it all that much as most of my listening is via CD nowadays, but all my music is in FLAC.

I'm not on a mac (yet) but I go between Foobar 2k and iTunes. Sometimes I prefer the former, other times the latter. If I playback music while gaming, it tends to break up if played in iTunes. I usually dont have that problem w/ Foobar. I guess there's just a whole lot more going on in iTunes, and probably a different buffer length. I don't remember if I've ever tampered with that in iTunes.

I know everyone else on PC seems to hate iTunes, but its still got the best tagging functionality I've experienced. And I've found cover flow to be quite addicting.

Oh and USB2.0 for me.