What If I Were Looking For a Complementary HP for The 750..?

Contrastique

Music taste: Electronic dancy stuff,

Hey, do you like Rihanna - Umbrella Remixes? I've got some headphones that sound great with this kind of music. :D

But unfortunately, I don't think there are many good options for closed headphones on-the-go. The ES7 and ESW9 are designed for portable use, but their isolation isn't very good. The ES7 seems to isolate a bit better than the ESW9. I like the ESW9 much more than the ES7, it is more refined, has clearer highs and bass is less muddy and boomy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm telling you, give the Senn HD-25-1-II a try (See post 19). DEW EEET!! :indra:

Clamping force on these is even more than on HD600/650, but otherwise I thought they were pretty good for the price. Not very refined, no soundstage to talk of and their signature is pretty much "in your face", but it's a fun headphone and the isolation is enough to block unwanted noises in public transportation or at work.

.... Not very refined, no soundstage to talk of and their signature is pretty much "in your face", ....

Was that with the stock cord? Switching out to the stock HD-650 IMO gives it a less "in-your-face" presentation and definitely cleans up some treble harshness. However, soundstage is what it is with this phone regardless of cable.

Was that with the stock cord? Switching out to the stock HD-650 IMO gives it a less "in-your-face" presentation and definitely cleans up some treble harshness. However, soundstage is what it is with this phone regardless of cable.

Yes, that's with stock cable. I didn't bother trying another cable because they were very uncomfortable.

Yes, that's with stock cable. I didn't bother trying another cable because they were very uncomfortable.

OK. Yeah I had to "bend" mine but its a fine line between vice-like and loose on these. They have gotten a little more comfortable over time, but I would not rank them in the top 10 for comfort.

Hey, do you like Rihanna - Umbrella Remixes? I've got some headphones that sound great with this kind of music. :D

Hmm, never heard of it. I'll check it out. And wow, you have A LOT of some headphones :eek::D

But unfortunately, I don't think there are many good options for closed headphones on-the-go. The ES7 and ESW9 are designed for portable use, but their isolation isn't very good. The ES7 seems to isolate a bit better than the ESW9. I like the ESW9 much more than the ES7, it is more refined, has clearer highs and bass is less muddy and boomy.

I'm getting that feeling too. A mid-fi hp for on the go will always leave something to wish for, certainly with my more than a year of good experiences with my Prolines it'll be quite hard to find something that lives up to my expectations (maybe I do expect too much...)

Now that my sad feeling has tempered a little I think it's more wise to save up for the ed9 for home purposes than to blow another €300 on a headphone that'll probably leave me with the same miss-out feeling some time along the road. I'll just have to figure out a way to save up some money for that sooner than I originally anticipated as it's still bugging me quite a bit.

About that HD25, I'm no fan of Sennheiser sound in common. I haven't listened to that specific model I have to say, but a couple of others besides the 600 & 650 and they're not for me. And the way you describe them makes me feel they also will not be.

I will pay Hans a visit soon, also just for fun. He recently got in the SPL Phonitor and he seems to be extremely pleased with it, also paired with the ed9 so I think that'll be an interesting visit :D

Thanx again for all your comments. Sorry if this thread may not have been completely nessecary but it sure gave me time and the option to settle my mind a little and to re-assess my priorities. :cool:

Edited by Contrastique
Notorious Spelling...

I know you don't want to spend the money on them now, but the Ed.9 makes for a good mobile headphone. A little bit bling, but I think you can pull it off! ;):cool: They are low-profile, the cord is not excessive, and they both fold flat and have a very small, flat case. I screwed up the mobility of mine a bit by converting to balanced but I used them on the ferry and on airplanes before reterminating. This is as good a time as any to just DEW EET! >:D

I know you don't want to spend the money on them now, but the Ed.9 makes for a good mobile headphone. A little bit bling, but I think you can pull it off! ;):cool: They are low-profile, the cord is not excessive, and they both fold flat and have a very small, flat case. I screwed up the mobility of mine a bit by converting to balanced but I used them on the ferry and on airplanes before reterminating. This is as good a time as any to just DEW EET! >:D

Best. Advice. Evar. :indra: .

Using them as a portable would be the ultimate goal but that will require a second set haha!

The Phonitor looks pretty awesome. Its features also sound interesting. I'm wondering how these new controls affect sound. I'll certainly report back once I heard it. The price at

About that HD25, I'm no fan of Sennheiser sound in common. I haven't listened to that specific model I have to say, but a couple of others besides the 600 & 650 and they're not for me. And the way you describe them makes me feel they also will not be.

I have the old HD25-1, I agree with GPH's description above and I'll add that it is dark-sounding. If you like brighter highs, you probably won't like the HD25-1.

Hmm, never heard of it. I'll check it out.

Hahaha, I first heard Rihanna - Umbrella around Jan. 2008, I thought I was an old fart who was out of touch with pop music. Now I know there's always someone worse! Make sure you hear the remix versions. If you can't find it you can ask ol' Dusty the Moose if he still has a copy.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

headphoneseq2.jpg

With a little lot help from my friend I am now the proud owner of the Edition 9 #338. Search is over and me is happydipappy Yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D

So I did went to Hans in the end when it got clear I had been abled to buy it. After a comparism between the 750 and the 9 I made the decision final. Sarjeev, I guess I'll have to pick a song now, I'm just too busy listening haha!

I did also listen to the SPL Phonitor connected to a Naim cdp with the ed9. The setup sounded pretty awesome. High resolution, powerful sound, pretty neutral sound, highly detailed, nice placement of instruments and vocals and it sounded very very controlled.

But keep in mind, I have never heard the Naim cdp, never heard the Phonitor and still have to get to really know the Ed9 and I only listened to 1 album for quite a short time so it's not a real helpfull impression. I did like what I heard however. I listened to "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters as I know the album pretty well.

Wohoaaaa I off listening to God playing in my ears!!!! Kiddy kiddy needs no more eq-ing no no :D